Reload this Page >

Pompeii -WHAT TO DO!!!

Search

Pompeii -WHAT TO DO!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Rick

Pompeii -WHAT TO DO!!!

I would like to go to Pompeii when in Italy next month but will arrive there about 0900 and will have to depart again by about 1100 - I know this is only two hours but we would really like the experience even if it is for such a short time. Is it worth hiring a guide? and if so does anyone know how much this costs? or should we just wander ourelves. It is more for our own experience than historcal knowledge but obviously it would be nice if we understood as much as possible. Also does anyone know the entrance fee?<BR><BR>Thank you

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Ellen

The best way to 'do' Pompeii in 2 hours is to hire yourself a private guide when you get there. You will move much faster than in a group, not have to worry about an audio guide (if they have such a thing, I do not recall), and he or she will hit all the highlights. I don't remember the cost, as we paid a driver too. Went from Positano, pit stop in Pompeii, 2 hour guided tour and then on to Naples train station. The day cost us about $250 US, but I don't remember the breakdown between what we paid the driver and the guide. I do recall saying afterwards it was money well spent.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Judy

Dear Rick,<BR>We were just in Pompeii this past July(last month) and I'm sure you will get as much out of your two hours as we did fighting the heat of summer in<BR>the 4 hours we were there. We took the audio guide and did not enjoy it at all. My husband and I felt lost, this site is huge. We regretted not hiring a private guide to give us the human aspect of Pompeii rather than only the historical info that the audio gave us. Enjoy and marvel this amazing place.<BR>Judy

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 12:09 PM
jt

You might do better by visiting Herculeum which you can thoroughly do in 2 hours by yourself. Many people say this is comprable to Pompeii, although I highly disagree. But there is no vacant or "dull" space between highlights like in Pompeii which soaks up hours in transit - it's all adjacent and better preserved.<BR><BR>Pompeii is much grander and a higher artistic level than Herc, but in such a short time you'll never know it and Pomp will even seem inferior. A guide can't fully solve the problem unless you all can literally run to the distant highlights. <BR><BR>My first guided visit of Pomp didn't give me the appreciation that self guided exploration later did. Guides put you in a passive mode vs seeking what suits you in particular - see the museum web sites for orientation.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Carol

Everyone above is right- I think Pompeii is too huge for 2 hours. Herculanum is very interesting - it was the resort town of the wealthy next door to the port town and was covered by a harder material. Make sure you check out the vomitorium - they used to empty their stomachs so they could continue eating...yuck. Hire a guide - choose one with the best English, so you get the most out of it.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Maira

We hired a guide when we visited Pompeii and it was well worth it. Very knowledgeable, guides are usually near the ticket booth and you can negotiate the time/$$$. We paid $60 for 2 hours, and gave him a good tip. He was fantastic (he was a local man; if I recalled correctly his name was Mario, about 5'6").

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Katie

I would take two hours in Pompeii versus none any day.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:19 PM
lll

Maria, there are about 1,215,234 men in Naples that fit that description.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 02:19 PM
bob

We have done a two hour Pompeii visit and really enjoyed it, of course it left us wanting to go back which we will do some day. We hired one of the private guides described above for a 1 hour tour and found it most interesting. Afterward we wandered for the following hour retracing some of our tour and exploring a little on our own.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 02:50 PM
g

It seems like (unofficial observation) that the guides are about $60 for two, and about $100 for four. It depends on how crowded it is on the day you go. Less people, more room to negotiate.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:52 AM
xxx

I will be traveling to Italy in a few week and Pompeii is on the top of my daughters *to do list*. I have been there years ago and now have done alot of research and it looks like currently it will cost us 90 euros for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The guides can let you into locked places others cannot go. Make sure the guide you hire is legit. I have read to look for the *official badge and only hire one directly outside the gate, not farther away.<BR><BR>Hope you have a great trip. Herculeum might be more do-able in 2 hours but it will never have the impact on you that Pompeii will just for the simple reason of history *everyone has heard of Pompeii* The mystery and mood of Pompeii will never leave you.