Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pompei/Ercolano guide; too much one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a Wednesday in mid-September, we want to take a train from Rome to Pompei. We would like to have a private guide meet the train, take us through Pompei, including the houses for which you have to make reservations, and then to Ercolano for a tour. The guide could then drop us at some train station for our trip back to Rome. The Naples Museum is not a priority; we recently twice saw the Pompei exhibit at the National Gallery of Art in DC. What I need is some warning from the experienced if this is bad planning on my part; if it could work, does anyone have a specific guide they could recommend with contact info. DH and I both have a lot of stamina and don't mind setting out early and arriving back at hotel late. Our schedule only permits a one-day round trip. Thanks for any advice. Fodor's is great.
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:02 AM

I think that is too much for one day. For a Pompeii guide, I would contact Maureen Fant on her website:

www.maureenbfant.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/16/tr...tml?sec=&spon=
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:03 AM

Or, contact Katie Parla:

http://www.katieparla.com/tour/
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 01:23 AM

Hi GTT - Like Eks I think trying to do both is too much. There's more than enough to fill several hours just visiting Pompeii IMO.

Steve
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 02:14 AM

For Pompeii, you need about four hours - mostly walking on rugged terrain in the shadeless sun (which can be pretty hot in mid-September). Even if you have stamina, you will need a rest and I doubt if another strenuous visit will be very enjoyable. Better see just Pompeii, but take your time there to see the little things (e.g. the wine list on the tavern's wall).
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Pompeii Scavi train stop/station is just across the street from the entrance to Pompeii. No need for the guide to meet you there or take you back. Ercolano is a few blocks walk (just head downhill) from the Ercolano Scavi stop (just a few stops from Pompeii - 18 minutes).
http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en

If you decide to do both, buy the combo ticket which gives admission to both for a few euro discount.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM

Since you stated you have stamina I would do both in 1 day (ordinarily I would not recommend this but since you only have 1 day then go for it). Just remember you have about 3 hours of traveling each way plus sightseeing.

Start with Pompeii and spend 4 or 5 hours there. I spent 5 hours the last time but with rest stops. Then go on to Ercolano. It's smaller than Pompeii and looks very different.

Bring plenty of water and some food (don't know if the cafe is open yet and there is no re-admission to Pompeii so you can't leave and get food and water), hats, sturdy lace up walking shoes, and sun screen. Best to keep your arms and legs covered.