Pompeii train stations

Jun 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Pompeii train stations

I want to take the train from Salerno to Pompeii (daytrip). Does anyone know how far this trains stop is from the archaelogical site or have walking directions?

A search yielded 2 facts - this route uses the FS train, and stop is simply called "Pompeii". I searched FS but it did not recognize the stop pompeii.
Jun 14th, 2011, 11:49 AM

The train stops quite near the site. you exit and will be facing the street, turn to your right and walk a short distance to the entry. Street is lined with shops, drink stands etc you can't miss it.
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM

There are 2 stops at Pompeii. The stop nearest the archaelogical site is actually called "Pompeii Scavi" and is the one you want.
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:23 PM
GAC

Pompei Scavi is on the Circumvesuviana rail line, NOT on the Trenitalia rail line. From SALERNO to Pompei, you'll be alighting at the Trenitalia Pompei Station, which is a good 20-minute walk from the ruins. From SORRENTO to Pompei, you'll be alighting at the Pompei Scavi Station, which is across the street from the site entrance. From NAPLES to Pompei, it depends whether you take the Circumvesuviana train or the Trenitalia train!!!
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:29 PM
GAC

BTW, Trenitalia recognizes the Italian spelling "Pompei" instead of the Latin spelling "Pompeii"!!! The same is true with respect to the website for the Circumvesuviana rail.
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:52 PM

Head for Scavi on the circumvesuviano 4 euro for me in May

like 12 stops on a commuter type train

2 stops B4 Sorrento

Can be confusing to board

Be sure you are boarding the one to Sorrento from Napoli

Or u will find yourself out in the boonies

Sorrento 1stop away Majestic Palace where I stayed very nice for price

$50 or so Otel.com booking.com

Pompeii hotels not seaside not as nice
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Now that I think about it maybe there were like 4 short commuter stops to Sorrento

Anyway hotels views are better there hoteldelfino.com best room view of my recent stay there
Jun 14th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Coming from Salerno u would want the Pompeii station pretty far for a day trip

Long half hour walk to the ruins or expensive cab

Might head to Sorrento for better day visit
Jun 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM

To further confuse things:

There is another Pompei train station on a different Circumvesuviana line than the one between Naples/Sorrento, but getting there might be a process. I think this Pompei station is perhaps a bit closer than the Trenitalia Pompei station. It would require taking Trenitalia to Sarno although I don't think this train runs early(travel time 15 minutes), changing to Circumvesuviana to Poggiomarino (about 10 minutes), changing to Pompei (about 10 minutes).

If you select Pompei on the stations choices on this link (not Pompeii Scavi) and then click on open by map detail. You will see the station blinking on the map. This train makes a somewhat circular route from Naples. There are more train lines on Circumvesuviana than just Naples/Sorrento.
http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en/infostazione

If you use Google maps, you will see this station just east of the ruins, the Trenitalia station just south/south east and the Pompeii Scavi station just west. Mouse over and you will see both stations showing as Pompei and the Scavi station as Villa dei Misteri.

The scavi website also lists this station (although it lists it as Pompei Santuario) and tells you which entrance to use. It also list two CSTP bus options from Salerno which may be better than the trains or Sita bus.

Main Routes
by train:

entrance at Porta Marina or Piazza Esedra
Circumvesuviana Napoli-Sorrento (stop Pompei Scavi - Villa dei Misteri)

entrance at Piazza Anfiteatro
Circumvesuviana Napoli-Poggiomarino (stop Pompei Santuario)
FS Napoli - Salerno (stop Pompei)

by bus:
entrance from Porta Marina or Piazza Esedra
SITA: from Napoli or from Salerno: stop Pompei ( piazza Esedra).
CSTP n.4 from Salerno
CSTP n.50 from Salerno (by motorway)

http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione....ezioneRif=1165

Search this Thread