Pompei Train Stations (again)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading other posts on this topic in the forum, most of my questions have been answered but I am still a little confused on a couple of things. Firstly, we will be coming from Naples and planning on taking the Circumvesuviana train

In an older guide book I have from the library. It has a map of the Pompei site and assuming that the top of the map points north and the bottom points south. It shows two train stations, one to the SouthWest of the site(called Pompei Villa die Misteri) and one to the NorthEast(Pompei Scavi or Valle).

I read that the Minstri was renamed Scavi not too long ago. Is this true? In this case what is the station to the north of the site now called? Valle??

Also, in this forum it seems to be normal to take the train to Pompei Scavi and enter the site outside the station. Is this Entrance known as “Porta Marina”. I have heard of another, sort of back entrance to the site which will probably be quieter that interests me. I believe that it is the Amphitheatre entrance. Has anybody used this one? Does it have audioguides(haven’t decided yet on that one) for rent there also?

Thanks for any help

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:12 AM
dln

I have the Pompeii site map out right now (picked up from last year's trip). I can only tell you what we did, which was to take the train from Naples, which is what you're planning to do. The second Pompeii stop, the one labelled SCAVI (which means ruins) is the one that brings you to the entrance at the Southwest part of the site. It is my understanding that the other Pompeii stop on this train is the one that brings you to the town proper. (It's a rather large town surrounding the ruins.) You are correct about there being another train station, the one closest to the ampitheatre. On my map, it is labled "Linea Napoli-Poggiomarino" as opposed to the line we took from Naples, "Linea Napoli-Sorrento." I'm afraid I don't know anything about that train line.

In regard to the two entrances: the main one (the Pompeii Scavi dropoff point) is indeed called "Porta Marina." At this entrance you will find ticket booths, a place for left luggage, audiotape rental, restrooms, information desk, bookshop, and telephone.

At the other entrance, at the Southeast of the site nearest to the ampitheatre, called "Piazza Anfiteatro" you will find only the ticket booth, a place for left luggage, and a restroom.

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:12 AM

I'm not sure about some of your questions, but we took the CV from Naples to Pompeii and it was extremely easy. The CV is below Napoli Centrale station. Just follow the signs; they are everywhere. To get to Pompeii, you must get off at Pompeii Scavi. The ruins are a very short walk from the station. Since I don't recall there being much else at the stop, its pretty hard to miss. Everyone who gets off will be heading towards the ruins anyways, so just follow the crowd!

Tracy
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:16 AM

Sorry, I forgot to address your question about the other entrance. That I don't know. If you are getting off at the Pompeii Scavi station, its definitely easy to just walk to the main entrance. Pompeii is huge; much bigger than most imagine. I personally wouldn't want to walk around trying to find another entrance. Maybe someone else can answer this for you. If you want to escape the crowds, start walking in what looks like an uncrowded direction once you get in.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:20 AM

I don't know if you can buy tickets at the gate closer to the Amphitheatre. I used it as an exit.

By the way, it seemed much further. I had to walk a long way to exit that way, followed by a pretty long walk to get to the commuter train.

Maureen Fant's article from NYT recommends using this exit and eating at Il Principe:

http://travel2.nytimes.com/mem/trave...55C0A9649C8B63

Basically this leads you to the "modern" part of Pompei. I thought about having dinner at Il Principe instead, but I didn't do so, as the last train to Naples stops running around 10:30, as far as I can recall.

To get to the main sites of interest, I think that you should use the other gate (Scavi?). It's the main entrance and is much closer to the station for that branch of the train. But I suppose if you can use the amphitheatre exit as an entrance, you could potentially do the trip in reverse.

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:22 AM

not helpful to answer your question, but one of my own: is it worth it to take a day out of a short trip to Rome to visit, or should I save it for when I return? (how long does it take to get there from Rome)

thanks!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:23 AM

I qoute this part of the Fant article:

"I should have packed a little snack and a bottle of water and worked my way from the main entrance, at Porta Marina, to the secondary amphitheater gate, where I could have left the site and walked about 200 yards to the main piazza of the small city of modern Pompei. Here I could have concluded my excursion with a relaxing late lunch at the excellent restaurant Il Principe, which features reproductions of Pompeian wall paintings and interpretations of ancient Roman recipes as well as the culinary traditions of the more modern Bay of Naples."

She makes it sound easy to use the other exit, but I found that it took forever. Maybe I was already tired from all the walking I was doing earlier in the day. Il Principe, though, supposedly has one Michelin star.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:28 AM

By the way, you should crosscheck the instructions for getting to Pompeii in the Fant article with guidebooks and what you find here. I forget if they're correct. But otherwise the article is a pretty interesting and well-written article. I used it when I prepared for my trip to Pompeii last year.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:02 AM
ira

Hi flygirl,
>..is it worth it to take a day out of a short trip to Rome to visit, ..?<

I recommend against it.

Train schedules to Naples are at
www.trenitalia.com/en

Schedules to Pompeii are at
http://www.vesuviana.it/orario_ol/orari.asp
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Flygirl, I have taken daytrips from Rome to Pompeii twice, and it was a highlight of each trip to Rome. It takes about three hours each way to get from Rome to Pompeii, either by train or by the shuttle bus run by Enjoy Rome (see www.enjoyrome.com).

I don't know how short your visit to Rome will be, but my first visit was five days. I was so excited at the prospect of seeing Pompeii after a lifetime of fascination that the length of the trip did not bother me. My college student daughter was the one who insisted on it, however, and we are both really glad we went.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 08:33 AM

I too took a day trip from Rome to Pompeii and it was definitely worth it. Sure, it made for a long day, but it actually went very well. We took an early morning train to Naples, hopped on the CV, and were in Pompeii by 11:00 a.m. We spend about 4 hours browsing and were back in Rome by 7:00 p.m., just in time for dinner!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Flygirl: Check your email for directions that I have posted in the past. I'll put 'POMPEII-FODORS' in the 'Subject Line'.
princess: The station is now signposted 'Pompeii Scavi-Villa di Misteri' and yes once it was just 'Villa di Misteri'. It's the next station after 'Torre Annunziata' on the Naples-Sorrento Line.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies,

Normally in heavy touristed sites I try to go early and then go against the crowds, kind of start at the end and work my way back to the entrance.

so the back entrance interested me. But after reading the posts and the NY Times article, maybe is best to go in the main entrance and just make a bee line for the far end or at least major sites not near the entrance.

Thanks for your help
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:49 AM

I think that you could still work from the end, if that's what you want to do, but you'd have to check that you could buy tickets at that amphitheatre gate. (I don't know since I left when the site when the site was closing down.)

But still I think that it makes more sense to start at the main entrance. Pompeii, after all, was itself a town, and so it makes sense to start from around the old town center to see what the layout was like. The ruins are vast, so you could easily escape from the crowds if that's what you choose to do later.

Have lots of fun!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:54 AM

Opps! Hit send to early.
princess: My directions are also on Ira's 'Helpful Information Italy' thread. I've just changed a couple of things since mostly the train pricing on 'Trenitalia' and a different Circumvesuviana website but basically the same info. Or you can email me for the trip report directions. Regards, Walter
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Yes I agree. And I think it will be quite possible to get away from the crowds in such a vast place, ecspecially first thing in the morning.

The NY times articles states that there isn't much at the amphitheatre entrance so again the main entrance sounds like a better idea.

thanks again for everybodies help!
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:06 AM

By the way, for those who're asking regarding whether a day trip to Pompeii from Rome is feasible, I don't have any personal experience as I traveled from Naples (actually from Amalfi that day, and I went to Naples after). But I thought that I'd quote from that same NYT article as well -- it's the opening paragraph:

"THE ancient sites of the Bay of Naples deserve a couple of weeks, but sometimes all you have is a day to make an excursion from Rome. Since friends often ask me about the wisdom of such a day trip, as well as whether they should take an organized tour, hire a guide or go solo, I decided to try it myself. I traveled alone entirely by rail, starting a little before 7 a.m. at the Colosseo subway station near my home in Rome. I returned 12 hours and 15 minutes later after a most diverting day."
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 11:17 AM

Walter, thank you! you are awesome! I'll save it, if I don't get there this trip it's number one on the list for the next one. we may try, we'll see how it goes. if it's a nice day, a nice little train ride in the country may be pleasant. (but we are only in Rome 4 days...)
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 02:27 PM

All I would add is the very strong suggestion that, whatever entrance you use, you make your way within the Pompeii site to the Villa dei Misteri. It is a bit of a walk but more than worth it for the most complete and most artistically impressive cycle of Pompeiian frescoes on the site, all against a stunning background of "Pompeiian red." From there it is only a few steps to the exit and the "Villa dei Misteri" stop of the Circumvesuviana.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:44 PM

If you end up taking the train to the town of Pompeii,there are taxis located at the train station that will take you to the entrance of Pompeii for around 5/6 euros-set the price before getting in the taxi. Either way-do go as it is really an interesting and easy trip that you can do on your own.