Pompeii...is it open everyday?

Jun 1st, 2002, 01:31 PM
Judy

Pompeii...is it open everyday?

Please advise, I have conflicting info. Is Pompeii closed on Monday. Fodors say open daily. What's the final word.
Thanks all you trusty Fodorites out there.
Judy

Jun 1st, 2002, 04:30 PM
dean

As I recall last July we went on a Monday.

Dean

Jun 1st, 2002, 05:16 PM
Walter

Only closed on *major* holidays. Regards, Walter
p.s. The audioguide tour is very good.

Jun 1st, 2002, 07:25 PM
Barb

Judy--We went to Pompeii on a Monday at the end of March this year. I agree with Walter--be sure to rent the audio guide. I also advise you to buy a book--there are some sold right near the entrance, or you can buy one in any tourist shop--Rome, Naples, etc.

Jun 1st, 2002, 07:42 PM
tracy

Pompeii is open daily. I think, by the way, that a live tourguide is better than an audio guide.

Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:18 AM
Robyn France

Hi Judy--we've just returned--information says open every day and we found the audioguide to be wonderful--and we took a break when we wanted, as it was hot--we wound up spending about6 hours, and that was following the 2 hour program, with a little extra time on some of the secondary information provided on the audioguide. Found several of the guides to be quite rude--when we asked about joining a group, he told us we would have to find the additional people for the group *we were 4*; They were running a special of 4 audioguides for 15 Euros; the guide was 90 E for 8-10 people for 2 hours.

Enjoy it either way--it was unbelievable.

Robyn France

Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:51 AM
Judy

Thanks everyone, the audio tour has been mentioned over and over, it is our choice for Pompeii. We look forward to visiting , this amazing place on our way to Sorrento.
Thanks again,
Judy