Poland trip Summer 2020

Search

Poland trip Summer 2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poland trip Summer 2020

We are planning to travel to Poland in late August into early September 2020. Since we have previously traveled to Krakow and loved it, we are looking to explore a little more of Poland. We were thinking of visiting the following cities.
Fly into Warsaw 4 nights,
Train to Wroclaw 3 nights
Train to Poznan 2 nights
Train to Torun 2 night
Train to Gdansk 3 or 4 nights
From Gdansk we are planning to take a cheap flight to Amsterdam for a visit to The Netherlands and some of Belgium.

What would be a good route to visit the above cities? If we take the train between Polish cities is there any option to stop in between for seeing other places? Are there luggage facilities at the train stations?

Does this look like a good itinerary? Any comments on the cities planned and nights allocated? Any suggestions on other towns that would fit in a route from Warsaw ending in Gdansk. We are open on the number of nights for this trip and can add if needed.

For reference, we are not into bar scene, partying or museums. We love the architecture and walking the cobblestone streets of old cities as we are hobby photographer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old Aug 12th, 2019, 03:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Fly into Poznan if you can, train to Wroclaw, then Warsaw, Torun and Gdansk.

Malbork Castle is an easy day trip from Gdansk; one hour train ride, 20 minute walk from station.

Personally, I don't think there are enough cobblestones in Warsaw to occupy 4 nights, and I would replace Torun with Lodz, but it is not my trip.

I know there are luggage facilities in Warsaw (24hr luggage office) and Gdansk, ( I have seen lockers) and, on an older thread I posted a link to Poznan train station showing locker facilities.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cdnyul
Fly into Poznan if you can, train to Wroclaw, then Warsaw, Torun and Gdansk.

Malbork Castle is an easy day trip from Gdansk; one hour train ride, 20 minute walk from station.

Personally, I don't think there are enough cobblestones in Warsaw to occupy 4 nights
Thanks so much for your reply. Unfortunately, it seems the price to fly into Warsaw is far better than any of the others, so that I why I chose to start my Poland travel there. It is also why I figured 4 nights for Warsaw, as the travel day would be for flight recovery, (we will be flying from Tennnessee in the states so a long journey) only leaving 3 days to explore.

I will look into using Lodz as base for a couple of nights. Do you think 2 nights would cover it?

Thanks again for your help
Jan
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 06:11 AM

I really like Warsaw, not sure what cobblestones have to do with anything. I think you have fantasies about cobblestones, Warsaw was rebuilt about WWII, the very old town area is fake and rebuilt (I think they do have cobblestones there). But I am very interested in history, and classical music, they have some fantastic museums. 4 nights seems about right to me, given one of those is your arrival day. And I know you do get the best flights from the US into Warsaw (at least I do). I did fly into Gdansk, by going from US to Munich, then Lufthansa has flights from there. Don't go to Warsaw because you want some cute authentic old Medieval cobblestone town, though. They have some older parts of Gdansk, and just the main square of Poznan that I recall (which I think is largely reconstructed, also).

I think the way you listed things makes sense. I think Torun is out of those main train lines, so overnight makes sense.
I don't understand the idea of flying into Poznan and doing that loop only to end up back in Gdansk, which is north of Poznan. I think Lodz is on the rail route inbetween Warsaw and Wroclaw, depending on route.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina
Don't go to Warsaw because you want some cute authentic old Medieval cobblestone town, though. They have some older parts of Gdansk, and just the main square of Poznan that I recall (which I think is largely reconstructed, also).
I mention cobblestones, because our visit to Krakow was filled with wandering the cobblestone streets and the historical significance. We loved it there!!!

Are you saying that the places I have listed won't be anything like Krakow? That is the reason we decided to explore more of Poland, so we are looking for more of that atmosphere and history. We are not really into museums.

Have I gone wrong in choosing Poland?

Old Aug 13th, 2019, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't think Warsaw resembled Krakow, haven't been to the other places. Warsaw was largely flattened during WWII. The old town has been recreated, but like Christina I thought it looked fake. The buildings were faithful to the originals, but you just don't see authentically old towns with all buildings looking the same age. However, I had a cold while I was there, which didn't help me like it. While I haven't been to Wroclaw, the authors of one of the blogs I follow have, and I put it my "should visit" list - https://gallivance.net/2013/09/30/wr...iscovered-gem/
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 04:27 AM

Use LESS days in Warsaw - a overnight would probably be fine. From Warsaw ( Warszawa Centralna ) take a train to Gdansk Glowny first https://rozklad-pkp.pl/en
is near old city section ( where there use to be a holiday inn right across from it - now called I think Scandic Gdansk) but there are few in this area now I think one other good option maybe - Mercure Gdansk Stare Miasto - this section of stare miasto ( old city ) is less busy but yet very close to the center of all "attractions" ). From Gdansk Glowny then to Torun Glowny (
) SO you will need to either transfer train to Torun Miasto or walk over to the 3-schemat-_linie_dzienne_2017.pdf ( Dworzec Glowny PKP = Torun Glowny ) ( https://mzk-torun.pl/wersja-angielska ) or just take a taxi ... which depending on where you hotel is located maybe your best option. A nice stop over between Gdansk and Torun is Malbork Castle ( really a fortress ) and Castle in Gniew - also a Golub Dobrzyn Castle if you are into castles. From Torun then to Poznan - and from Poznan to Wroclaw ... Reverse also works ( from Warszawa Centralna to Wroclaw Glowny then to Poznan etc... ) ...
Near Torun also worth to see be
24km south from Torun ( best reached by bus from Torun ( Torun D.A.) -
or take train to near city of Aleksandrow Kujawski ( located 6 km west from Ciechocinek ) and then bus or taxi to Ciechocinek. Around Wroclaw area Castle in Ksiaz is nic with a lots of history and secrets ... or Castle in Bolkow ( although for Ksiaz or worse Bolkow you would need a car rental since public transport could be crazy ) ... Enjoy your trip!!!

Note: PKP = Trains PKS = Buses ( between cities transport )

Last edited by PeterB; Sep 12th, 2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

PeterB,
Thank you for your suggestions. I will certainly check them out.
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Updated itinerary

We have flights into Krakow arriving on 08/12/2020. We have previously been to Krakow and thus Auschwitz, but no other place in Poland.
Krakow 4 nights
Wroclaw 3 nights
Poznan 2 nights
Torun 2 nights
Gdansk 3 nights
Warsaw 2 nights

Fly from Warsaw to Brussels to continue our travel in Belgium and Netherlands before flying home from Amsterdam on Sept 10th.

Our plane ticket to Krakow is purchased and the return from Amsterdam is on hold with the airline.

We plan to travel between all cities by train with the exception of Warsaw to Brussels.

I would love some feedback on this updated itinerary.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions on hotels for that adjusted itinerary above would be appreciated.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 04:17 PM
kja

Well, I found more than enough to enjoy in Warsaw with 4 nights there. I appreciated the reconstructed Old Town more than some -- I found inspiration in the time and energy and expense the people of that city were willing to undertake to reconstruct the heart of their city.

In Poland, I've been to only Warsaw and Krakow, and agree that the two are very different.

PS: Sorry I didn't see this thread back when you originally posted!
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 04:37 PM

In Warsaw I'd stay in the Hotel Bristol if I could afford it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Bristol,_Warsaw
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by louky52
We have flights into Krakow arriving on 08/12/2020. We have previously been to Krakow and thus Auschwitz, but no other place in Poland.
Krakow 4 nights
Wroclaw 3 nights
Poznan 2 nights
Torun 2 nights
Gdansk 3 nights
Warsaw 2 nights
I would love some feedback on this updated itinerary.
Much better - BTW from Krakow Wieliczka Salt mines as Well as Zakopane be a nice excursion. As for Hotels it is bit difficult to recommend something since it all depends on your expectations and budgets. In each city I would book something in old city or Center ( or lowest distance from center ) - sites like booking dot com provide such filters and they also list non hotel appartments ( people listing on those sites do speak english and can help out with addition local info ).
Warsaw cna be bit tricky in search since there are really 2 centers ( SO make sure you select Old Town on that one ) ... otherwise you will be shown places near "Palace of Culture" which is "modern" section of Warsaw. Torun, Gdansk, Wroclaw, Poznan and Krakow is much easier to search as you would select as close as possible to center. All those have Stary Rynek ( Old Square ) so you want to be as close as possible to it. ( some have Nowy Rynek - New Square in addition to Stary Rynek e.g. Torun ... so be careful and always make sure you want STARY rynek / OLD Square ). Saying all that you maybe not next to a train station or a airport etc. ( with exception to e.g. Gdansk Glowny ) ... but then what do you want to see most ... and "Modern" sections of those cities are very similar in their look ... so do enjoy their Old sections which are full of history and so very different in architecture.
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

I have booked Hotel Bristol in Warsaw, Hampton Inn Old Town Gdansk and the Korona Hotel in Wroclaw, Hampton Inn Poznan, all of which are very near or in Old Town. These are all reservations that can be cancelled without penalty, so if you have any feedback on these please let me know.

I am looking at Queen Boutique Hotel or Wawel Queen in Krakow and Corpernicus hotel in Torun. Any comments plus or minus on these choices?

One other thing, I have heard that Torun may be difficult for travel, with no direct train schedule. Is there any option for a bus between Poznan-Torun and then Torun-Gdansk? I had read earlier that it may be possible to travel by train from Torun with a stop in Malbork for the castle visit.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 06:15 AM

"I have heard that Torun may be difficult for travel, with no direct train schedule. Is there any option for a bus between Poznan-Torun and then Torun-Gdansk?"

Buses are ubiquitous in Poland, but trains are IMHO a more civilised way to travel than buses(not just in Poland, but pretty much anywhere), although this is entirely personal as much to my surprise I heard many travellers actually prefer buses. It's your choice. I guess it's not the first time for you to travel by train and bus and you already know which one do you prefer.

There are direct trains from Poznan to Torun taking 1,5 - 2 hours.

The best, easiest way to find train schedules in Europe(well most Europe) is the DB(German Railways) website, here is the direct link to the English version: www.bahn.com

Take your time to experiment and discover the advanced search options, like filtering for direct trains only, etc.

"I had read earlier that it may be possible to travel by train from Torun with a stop in Malbork for the castle visit."

Yes, it's possible and the train station in Malbork has lockers where you can leave your luggage while visiting the castle. There is no direct train between Torun and Malbork, you have to change trains in Tczew or Ilawa, but than you can easily continue from Malbork to Gdansk(frequent direct trains).

If you'd be travelling light you could also go via Kwidzyn to see the Marienwerder castle of the Teutonic Knights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwidzyn_Castle

It makes a nice full day trip from Torun to Gdansk stopping at the 2 castles. The travelling light thing is because I doubt that Kwidzyn has left luggage.
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BDKR
"
There is no direct train between Torun and Malbork, you have to change trains in Tczew or Ilawa, but than you can easily continue from Malbork to Gdansk(frequent direct trains).
Is there a direct train from Torun to Gdansk? If so, we could make a day trip from Gdansk to Malbork Castle instead.
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 07:12 AM

" Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

www.bahn.com
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you BDKR, that site is great help. So much easier to understand than looking at the other booking sites.
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by louky52
Is there a direct train from Torun to Gdansk? If so, we could make a day trip from Gdansk to Malbork Castle instead.
Yes there are and trip takes about 2.5 hours ... and BTW Torun is FAR from difficult as far as trains just check link from my previous post ( and use Torun Glowny and Gdansk Glowny ... Glowny means main ) -> https://rozklad-pkp.pl/en

As for Hotels:
in Wroclaw if you want to stay in Hotel with some history then maybe check Metropol Hotel (Hitler stayed in this hotel during WWII) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopol_Hotel

In Torun Copernicus Hotel is a nice hotel BUT it is a good walk from the old city with nothing around (so even for restaurants you be walking quite a bit or taking a taxi) ... check Hotel Bulwar or Hotel Spichrz instead and I think you'll enjoy it more.

In Krakow - check Hotel Wentzl ... or if you are stuck on your 2 choices then Wawel Queen is a better location ( closer to Wawel ) but you really want to be closer to Stary Rynek ( Sukiennice ) then Wawel Castle ... as another option maybe Hotel Imperial in Krakow ... again as with Torun you be closer to all and waste less time.

Warsaw - Bristol nice choice - best in Warsaw and very good location as far as old city ( also hotel with some history ).

One more suggestion ... Get google translator ( avail. on both Android and iOS ) and load offline Polish language ( nice option on mobile google translator) also WiFi now much more popular in Poland so you maybe able to get away without local sim card using just WiFi ... - but for offline you do not need connectivity ... ALSO google maps ( again offline ) load them to use offline for each city / area that you be visiting and you be walking around like a native ;-)

Last edited by PeterB; Oct 31st, 2019 at 12:46 AM.
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 02:34 AM

A special place to stay in Torun is a hotel in a former German fortress:

https://www.fort.torun.pl/en

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_I..._in_Toru%C5%84

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -