Pls. help!!...Days to split between Seville, Cordora & Granada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi...it's our first time to visit Spain and we would love to visit the Andalucia provence in coming Easter. We would like to cover Seville, Cordora,Granada and the small towns around those areas. We've altogether 12 full days to spend in those places but don't know how many nights we should spend in each city as a base and visit the neighbouring towns. Should it be 4 nights Seville, 3 nights Cordora and 4 nights Granada? And do you know if there's AVE train from Granada to Madrid? How long does it take and is the train run daily and frequent? And any suggestions of which neighbouring towns worth visiting? Thank you all in advance!!
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:57 PM

I think Seville is the most appealing of those towns and I believe I spent two or three days there. I only stayed in Cordoba for an afternoon when I got off the AVE on my way from Madrid to Seville. I thought it was lovely but not sure it is worth much time. I flew from Granada to Barcelona because there is very little out of or into Granada except for slow local trains. I think you can find train information on www.raileurope.com
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:16 PM

No question that Seville deserves the most time---I would do 4-2-2 and spend the rest of your time in Nerja and Ronda.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:37 PM

I agree with bobthenavigator for the most part, but four days in Sevilla during holy week can be a bit too much. I'd cut it back to three days at the most, at the beginning of the celebration, and then head out for Úbeda, Ronda and Malaga to experience smaller, but more personal and intense processions. Three nights in Córdoba is two too many for several reasons. The same holds true for Granada, but two nights would be fine for your first visit.

The only train service from Granada to Madrid is the Talgo and takes a little over 6 hours. The AVE runs between Sevilla and Madrid.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:37 AM

We just returned Thursday from 10 days in Spain (Seville, Granada, Barcelona) . . . here's my 2?.

We had 3 days in Seville and we spent one of those days in Jerez (horse show and sherry tour) . . . we could have used another whole day, there's lots to see/do. Or, we could have used another 2 days and visited some of the "white" villages.

We had one afternoon, night, morning in Granada and that was plenty. We enjoyed the Alhambra but there was not that much else to see there . . . and, this was the only place where we saw hoards of dirty, multi-tattooed/pierced, spaced-out, scary-looking young people (I work on a university campus and believe me, I see plenty of tattoos/piercings, weird-looking clothes, etc. but these were 'way beyond that). We were even offered drugs and we are a daughter/s-i-l, baby, (I am the grandmother)!

We had 4 days in Barcelona and that was about right.

Hope you have as much fun as we did,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:27 AM

There is no AVE service Granada to Madrid..at least not covering the entire journey. The regular train takes about 5 hours or so to do that route. You might look into flying although, unfortunately, Iberia pretty much has that route locked up so there is little, if any, competition, especially not from Spanair.

My advice, since noone seems to have mentioned it is to book your hotel in Seville ASAP especially if you will be there during Holy Week when hotels are full and prices rise.