Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pls help critique spain itinerary in Easter...Help!

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

This is my first trip to Spain and really forward to it. Will be flying to Madrid (no choice as there's no direct flight to barcelona) and this is my plan...I am giving myself a break from driving...after the long driving trip in France. Will be using public transport mostly flying..This is my prelim plan..

2 days in Madrid ( 1 day trip to toledo)
4 days in barcelona
3 days in Bilbao ( using that as a base to go S Sabestian)

I have only chosen 3 cities as i do not enjoy the unpacking...Have chosen Bilbao over Seville as it seems that northen spain is greener and more scenic while Seville is more cultural. Is that a good choice? pls help ...I like a trip that is balanced with enjoyable sightseeing and good shopping and food and relaxing...

Weather is not too much a issue with me as i love cool weather. I come from a country that's hot all year round...so cool weather is good...

Appreciate help!thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:46 PM

to the top
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 01:54 AM

You're short-changing Madrid. If this is your first trip to Spain you should allow time for the Prado and Madrid's other Museums including a tour of the Royal Palace.

You asked for critique of your Spain itinerary "in Easterquot; Does that mean you will be there for Semana Santa? I like Barcelona and Bilbao (especially for the Basque cuisine) but the action for Semana Santa is in places further south, like Sevilla.

Keep in mind: all days are not equal. Sundays in both Barcelona (Parc Guell) and Madrid (Retiro park) are special for outdoor stuff, especialy in Spring
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for advice. will bear that in mind...would extend another day in madrid or skip toledo...Going through the rest of the thread, i realise that madrid has a number of beautiful museums...

On Basque country, which of the town should i visit? Is Sanbestian similar to French riveria? If yes, i am going to skip that cause i have been there 3 times and wanted something more of a scenic countryside...like provence. any help?
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:36 PM

I wouldn't skip Toledo - at least one of the Tour Companies has a half day tour from Madrid.

San Sebastian is not at all like the French Riviera.

If you want 'scenic countryside' you should head further west than Bilbao, to Santander, Capital of Cantabria. It's a University town: Universidad Internacional de Menendez Pelayo (UIMP, pronounced "wimp'). You can daytrip to Santillana del mar, to Bilbao or to Potes, Capital of Liebana (Picos de Europa) or to Bilbao.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Hey thanks

Taking into consideration all the advice, i am going to be in madrid for 2 days, barcelona 4 days and the remaining 3 days i intend to stay in the basque country...

Was just reading through the threads and found out that a daytrip to durango and axpe will be scenic if i based myself in bilbao...Was just wondering anyone know of tour companies who does day trip...

Checked with totally spain and basque country tour but they only offer packages (including hotel)....

Thanks
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:23 PM

There is a place not far from Madrid call Valendriod (I'm certain I have spelt it wrong) however look it up they apparently have a very cool easter festival