North-West Spain Must See Places

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 2-week Barcelona ? Bilbao - Madrid trip. We are going through a guide and panicking what places we should visit, as there is so much to see. Our interests are architecture and history, we love laid-back towns and villages, but do not want to miss ?the must be seen? sites. Please advise. Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:22 AM

How long are you going to be in each area and how are you going to travel between Barcelona, Bilbao and Madrid? There is a lot a lot of country to fit into two weeks.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

We are going to rent a car in Barcelona (2 days there) and drive to Figueres (Dali?s museum) than with stops (do not know where and for how long yet) to Bilbao (1 night stay). From there to Madrid, again maybe with stops (?) (return the car at airport ? no stay in Madrid). We know that it may not be realistic??.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Forget driving to Madrid unless you plan on spending a couple of days seeing the city. After Barcelona, you can head to Bilbao, stopping along the way for a few of days before spending the remainder of your time in and around Bilbao. There is a lot to see in the Basque Country, which is full of small country villages from the mountains to the sea and covers a large geographic area from the Atlantic coast to the Rioja.

The Basque Country and Navarra are architecturally and historically stunning in their own right. The Basque are the oldest culture in all of Europe, with a history dating back more than 40,000 years, although the Roman ruins in the area are not anywhere as nice as those in Extremadura, Navarra has the oldest Roman arched bridge still in existence. It's not very large, more of a pedestrian bridge, or for a horse drawn card, but it's still standing.

You can fly back to Madrid from either Bilbao, Hondarribia or Vitoria and save the long drive. I know, we've taken it many times, but have always had other things to do along the way.

Remember, Spain is a big country. It's at least a 6 hour drive from Barcelona to Bilbao, without stops, and about the same amount of time from Bilbao to Madrid, even with the new highway. It also depends on the time of year. Traffic can be quite heavy around Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao and Vitoria during certain seasons.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 03:10 PM

I was in Northern Spain and the Basque region in July. One of the higlights was San Sabastian - a splendid town. I was angry with my self that I did not spend at least one night there and suggest you do if you can fit it in. Hondarribia is close by and also worth a visit.

In Catalonia, I would recommend a visit to Girona and Bresulu if they are on your route.

regards Ger