Pls comment on the following Switzerland Austria Itinenary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be travelling to Switzerland and Austria first week of May. We have outlined the following travel plan. Please let us know your thoughts on whether this is feasible. The one question I had was, is it worth spending a day in Innsbruck when we are going to be in Switzerland for 6 days (we are nature lovers)?

Day 1: Arrive into Zurich; Zurich to Innsbruck
Day 2: Innsbruck; Innsbruck to Salzburg
Day 3: Salzburg; Salzburg to Vienna
Day 4: Vienna; Vienna to Interlaken
Day 5: Interlaken
Day 6: Interlaken
Day 7: Interlaken to Lucerne
Day 8: Lucerne
Day 9: Lucerne
Day 10: Return Home

Thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 11:12 AM

I would skip both Innsbruck and Vienna for this trip and include the castle country of Bavaria. Are you driving? If so, have you checked the leg from Vienna to Interlaken? You only have 9 days---I would concentrate in a smaller radius. The Berner Oberland, Salzburg, and Luzern are a very full 9 days.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 11:41 AM

I fully agree with Bob. Another option might be - if you insist on including Vienna - to search for a cheap flight Zurich to Vienna and train the way back. Otherwise I would skip Vienna.

Btw, Innsbruck is a (relatively small) city and not recommended if you are looking for nature/scenery (esp. if coming from Lucerne or the Bernese Alps!).
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Not me, Bob. I would spend less time in Interlaken and go a bit further to Wengen and other towns up high in the Alps. Interlaken is forgettable. Add more time in Salzburg, leave Lucerne out. Vienna deserves more time, too. As I have said before, Lucerne is just another big city with mediocre scenery and it would be a tragedy to miss truly awesome and memorable places like Wengen and Salzburg for a big crowded city. Just my opinion...
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Nope, we've not driving. The leg from Vienna to Zurich to Interlaken is currently planned as on the night train.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 04:46 AM

The only change I might suggest is that you consider staying in Brienz instead of Interlaken. That is, if you would not prefer to stay up in the mountains as many here would prefer. Brienz faces the famous peaks, and the view is very beautiful looking across the lake. Brienz is only a short 20 minutes or so from Interlaken. It's a woodcarvers' village, and it's a good location from which to daytrip by train to Lucerne, or Bern, and many other towns. Interlaken, while at the base of the mountain railway, has its back to the view, so to speak. Enjoy your trip. It's sure to be a dandy. J.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Vienna to Interlaken is a long trip by train. Something like 12 hours.
The Maria Theresia leaves Wien West at 7:30 for Zürich.

I found it to be a long, boring trip.

I second the motion that you at least leave out Innsbruck. I never was attracted to the place despite 3 visits.

It seems to me that trying to crank in Vienna, despite its charms, is a bit much unless you fly from Vienna to Zurich.

I also have had little interest in staying in Interlaken. Yes, some ritzy hotels there, high priced and luxury-laden. But if you want to stay in a plush hotel, you can do that without going to Interlaken.

If you want to see the mountains, then you will not be hanging around Interlaken. Instead, you head south to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. From those two places, you can go higher and farther to the dazzling views -- which is exactly what I will be doing in 8 weeks!

Let me append one more idea. From Interlaken you can take the train to the station known as Schynige Platte.

From there you can get the full treatment. The lakes on either side of Interlaken are below you by about 4,000 feet and the main range of the Berner Oveberland is a short four or five miles to the south. The views are terrific to say the least.

Other great views: from the Schilthorn, First (a gondola station), Wengen, Mürren, Kleine Scheidegg, the crest of the Männlichen (a towering ridge), and Grosse Scheidegg (big pass literally converted to English).

And if you want the biggie, the piece de resistance so to speak, take the ride to the Jungfraujoch and walk the snow trail to the Mönchsjochhütte.

The hut is a 3 story building that sleeps 125 plus staff members.

The Jungfrau trip is pricey, however.
But on a clear day, it is something of an adventure, if you do the excursions.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 09:42 AM

In spite of naysayers, Interlaken, while in itself overly touristy, makes a great center for excursions both up into the mountains and on Lakes Brienz and Thun. However, in early May things will be pretty snowy yet in the mountains. (Anybody have up-to-date info on the snowpack this year?)

If you are nature lovers, you might skip Innsbruck (or Vienna) and take a trip out of Salzburg into the Salzkammergut, a region of mountains and lakes east of Salzburg.

As for Lucerne, I found it very pretty. I liked Zurich also.

Since you don't have a car, investigate the Swiss Postal buses. They go all over Switzerland and deep into the mountains. Some people spend their whole vacation taking bus trips.

A last thought. Your itinerary seems pretty fixed, but, if it's too snowy in the north, you might look at southern Switzerland, i.e., Ticino, the Italian-speaking canton. Locarno on Lago Maggiore has various excursions into the nearby Alps.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 03:56 AM
JN

I've got to give an alternative opinion that "Lucerne is just another big city with mediocre scenery" It's a relatively small city (67,000 people) and the scenery is awesome. I'ts not the jaw dropping Berner Oberland, but it's is truly picturesque.

Given 9 days, I'd agree with many of the above posters about concentrating on a smaller geographic area. Otherwise, you're spending more time packing/unpacking and getting to/from train stations than enjoying the sights.

An added advantage of eaving some of the more far-flung places out of this itinerary is that it gives you that extra motivation to plan/save for a return trip in the near future.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:27 AM
J62

amynick,
Have you scoped out departure & transit times, connections, etc on either the Swiss or Austrian rail websites? (http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/oebb.w02/query.exe/en)

The last thing I want to do after flying overnight to Europe is hang out waiting for my connection somewhere without the benefit of a hotel bed, shower, clean clothes in my suitcase, etc.

Why not start and end your trip in Switzerland for a couple of days on either end? That way when you arrive in Zurich, you can find your way to your to Interlaken - 2hr train with change in Bern and enjoy your time on the ground, not in transit.

Looking at your itinerary, especially days 1-5 gives me motion sickness. It's about a 4hr train ride from Zurich to Innsbruck; or 6hrs Z to Salzburg if you forgo Innsbruck (I would).

My itinerary recommendation would be

D1 - D3 Interlaken
D4 - D6 Salzburg, with side trips through southern Bavaria. Maybe you can rent a car in Salzburg then return it in Innsbruck a few days later so your're at least headed back in the direction of Switzerland.
D7 - D9 Lucerne
D10 return home
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:18 AM

I think you need to check out your travel times, particularly Salzburg to Interlaken .

Many of the connections require 3 and 4 changes. The best time is just under 8 hours, but you travl at night. Most of the changes are done quickly, but if you have much luggage, even 2 pieces each, there is still the chore of getting on and off.

The best day light time is just over 8 hours if you leave at 6:23.

You will be spending the day riding a train.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your insights. I will think about them before setting out.