Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Advice for Germany/Austria/Switzerland Itinerary for July

Mar 19th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking at an 18 day trip to these three countries in July. Any advice, tips or ideas would be appreciated!

1 - Winnipeg - Zurich

2 - Zurich - train to Murren

3 - Murren

4- Murren - overnight train to Vienna via Interlaken ( this saves us a day of travelling out of Switzerland) Any ideas for another way to manouever this? Is this enought time in Switzerland?

5 - Vienna

6 - Vienna

7 - Vienna

8 - Vienna - Hallstatt

9 - Hallstatt

10 - Hallstatt - Salzburg

11 - Salzburg

12 - Salzburg

13 - Salzburg - Munich

14 - Romantic Road - Rothenburg

15 - Rothenburg - Rhine

16 - Rhine

17 - Rhine - Frankfurt

18 - Frankfurt - Winnipeg

Thanks!
Mar 19th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Mar 19th, 2003, 07:27 AM

I would say that it is not enough time in Muerren. Your first day there you probably will be tired from travelling. I would recommend adding one more night there and perhaps removing a night from Salzburg. I also am not sure the advantage to doing an overnight train from Switzerland to Vienna -- the scenery the whole way on that trip must be spectacular!
Mar 19th, 2003, 09:05 AM

Yes, the scenery through Interlaken into Vienna is very nice. And, although I enjoyed Vienna, I like it in the winter best . . . and 4 days is quite a bit there. And this is also HIGHLY subjective but I would spend less time in Salzburg and more time along the Romantic road. Rothenburg seems to get mixed reviews on this forum, but I really enjoyed it.
Mar 19th, 2003, 09:37 AM

I have been to those places you describe, except Rothenburg, more than once, so I do have several questions.
Why Mürren at all, particularly for such a short period of time?
Why so many days in Salzburg? It is worth perhaps 3 full days if you include a performance at the Marionetten Theater and/or a couple of concerts.

I was a little amused at your comment about the overnight train via Interlaken. There is no other way you can get out of that valley by vehicle!!

Have you looked at the overnight train schedule from Interlaken to Vienna? The best schedule calls for you to leave Interlaken Ost at 19:39 with a change in Zürich to an Austrian train. You arrive in Vienna at 8:05 in the morning.
Most of the other schedules are longer and have many changes of train.

Also, I also don't understand why so much time in Hallstatt and so little time in Munich. And, why so much time in Hallstatt and Salzburg combined and so little time for Mürren, the most scenic village in one of the most, if not the most, scenic areas in all of Switzerland. (For some that assertion might be subject to some debate of course, but not to me. I go to a village close to Mürren for a week to 10 days at a time.)
Mar 19th, 2003, 09:41 AM

I agree that you should spend a little more time in Switzerland. In fact, I would like to see you do at least a day in Lucerne. It is one of my favorite cities.

I think 3 nights in Vienna and 2 in Hallstatt are just fine. Lots to see and do in Vienna and as you will probably not arrive in Hallstatt until late in the day, you'll have another full day to explore. However, in July, it will probably be very crowded with tourists.

I also agree that you could cut back 1 day from Salzburg to add to Switzerland. Again, Salzburg will probably be overrun with tourists in July but the old part of the city is compact enough that you can see everything in 1-1/2 days.

It sounds like a wonderful trip. You are going to all my favorite places!
Mar 19th, 2003, 10:30 AM

Too long in Vienna. Been there a few times. Nice big buildings, but we prefer the smaller towns.

Salzburg: Maybe too long here unless you are planning a day trip over to Berchtesgaden. This is a great area, but get to Berchtesgaden also with the Koingsee Lake, Eagle's Nest, Salt Mine Tour, etc. Only about 45 minutes by car from Salzburg.

More time on the Romantic Road and Rothenburg. One night will not be enough.

More time on the Rhine to relax, take a short boat cruise and explore.

You are planning a great trip. Some of our favorite areas. Have fun.
Mar 19th, 2003, 10:42 AM
MGB

Hi
I agree that you probably have too much time for Vienna and not enough for Murren. 3 nights in Vienna should be plenty. Another reason for the extra day in Murren is weather. We stayed in Murren in July 1997 for 2 nights. On our only full day, it was foggy all morning with rain. Finally clearing up about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Fortunately on our departure morning the weather was beautiful and we were able to have breakfast atop the Schlithorn. I remember asking the desk clerk (they had closed circuit TV so you could see how dense it was) if anyone goes up when it is like that. His response was only the Japanese!
Between the Schlithorn, Wengen and the other side, you almost need 2 days even if the weather is wonderful so 3 nights would not be too much. We are going back this fall for that amount.
Are you driving part of this because you can park in Stetchelberg (spelling) and then take the car to Vienna.
Rothenburg is wonderful. One night may be enough if you arrive early and are not rushed to leave in the morning.
Mar 19th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Mar 19th, 2003, 12:50 PM

You are getting good advise. I would cut from Vienna and spend more time in CH and the romantic road.