Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please suggest 1 day itinerary each for Brugge, Brussels and Amsterdam!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Joe

I have only this limited amount of time attached to my upcoming February business trip in these areas.<BR>I have not found a good reference book that covers these areas as well as, say, Paris or Rome. <BR>I just need a little pointer in the right direction since my time is so limited (but better than none!).<BR>Any 1 day itinerary suggestions would be very helpful.<BR>I had originally thought 2 days in Brussels, but after reading here, have decided that Brugge is a must see. <BR>Thanks for all that I have read already!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Ron

Joe, try Fodor's guide book on Benelux. This should give you some good information. Personally, I don't think a one day itinerary would do any of these places justice. Personally, I would skip Brussels and spend an extra day in Amsterdam or Brugge.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Joe

Can't skip Brussels. I have a brief lunch meeting there - but the rest of that day is free. Plan to go to Brugge next day, then on to Amsterdam.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:25 AM
JOdy

Try www.jack-travel.com. It is a private site operated by a Belgian man and I have found it to be one of the best guides to Belgium.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:54 AM
ann

You don't need an itinerary for Brugge - it's small, just spend the day wandering around. There are town maps available (train station I think, can't really remember where I got mine but it came in handy). Maybe take a boat ride on the canals, they are about half an hour. You could spend more time there but in one day you will see the main areas of the town and it's definitly worth doing. There are a few museums but if the weather is nice I'd just spend the day walking around. Buy some chocolate.<BR><BR>Brussels major thing is the Grand Place - beautiful architecture. I didn't really like Brussels, I'm sure others feel the same and that's why so many say to skip it. But if you are already there you'd certainly want to go look at the Grand Place, then wander some side streets. Unfortunately, I don't about Amsterdam yet.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 03:46 AM
Not

Inasmuch as your time is so limited, you could always have a nice, fat doobie in A'dam. It will make your visit SEEM a lot longer.<BR><BR>I'm only half kidding.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:40 AM
jen

Idea for Amsterdam:<BR>Take a canal boat tour as soon as you arrive. If you come to Amsterdam by train, the canal boat tours start right near the train station. There are several different companies. Most have a narrative on tape in several different languages. You can also take the 'Museum Boat' which lets you get on and off near several different museums. Then head for the van Gogh museum. The exhibition that starts Feb. 14, called 'Vincent's Choice' marks the celebration of 150 years since the artist's birth. Head to a cafe or restaurant for lunch, maybe on the Utrechtsestraat. Then choose one or two of these: the Anne Frank house, the Rijksmuseum, the Hortus (botanical gardens) or Rembrandt's house. Beer at a cafe, then an Indonesian rijsttafel for dinner. Walk through the red light district if you've never been there. You'll end up close to the train station again. Do buy a map, since it's possible to walk in circles in Amsterdam!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 11:13 AM
Joe

Those are great ideas, and I am thankful for the responses. Canal cruises sound nice - I just wasn't sure about doing something like that in Februrary. I guess they are still running though. <BR>I am still unsure of Brugge. It seems to be a legendary place here on this forum. What exactly is there? Is it just an interesting place to see, or certain activities you do? Some amazing history in the area?<BR>I've read the thread about choosing Brussels or Brugge, and everybody picks Brugge, but no one tells exactly what for except that they liked it better or why they didn't like Brussels. A lot of suggestions for wandering around. I imagine that must be something obvious for a person who has already visited, but it is hard for someone new (it is the unknown).<BR>I will try jack-travel and see what is there for my trip.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 11:18 AM
Eye Spy

I have a wonderful one day walking tour of Amsterdam. If you want it, email me at [email protected] and I'll forward it to you.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:11 PM
ann

Brugge is a small town with some beautiful architecture and several canals. There are a few museums and a couple of churches (one of which has a beautiful Michaelangelo sculpture). Any guide book will tell you about them. I don't think most people go for the museums though. It's just the atmosphere. While other places have nice buildings or squares, Brugge has a lot for the size, without distracting modern or ugly areas. I think it's the concentration of authentic old buildings and squares that attracts people. And of course the canals add a lot. I really think wandering and soaking up the atmosphere are the main things to do there. I'm not sure how wonderful that will be in February. I was there in mid March and while it was quite cool it was still very pleasant and the daffodils were in bloom, trees starting to bud and the grass green. Maybe someone who had been there in February could tell you if it would still be worthwhile. I've heard in the summer it is overrun by tourists but you'd probably miss that in Feb.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:41 PM
Ron

If you are a music lover, try to book a concert at the Concertgebouw. Or take a short train ride to Haarlem to visit the St. Bavos church and listen to an organ concert. Both are very moving experiences.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:26 AM
Joe

Does anybody know what it is like in Brugge in the beginning of February? Is it still worth it, as Ann mentioned?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:50 AM
e roz

I loved Amsterdam! The Rembrandt house was my favorite, skipped Anne Franks due to the long lines there. Walk the canals, have a beer, also may want to hit the amazing Rijksmuseum, Palace or Heineken Brewery!

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:26 PM
Alice

Brussels - enjoy the Grand Place, perhaps duck into the City Museum (at Grand Place) to see the hundreds of costumes for the 'infamous' Mannekin Pis, who can be found about 2 blocks off Grand Place. The national church of Belgium, THE SAINT MICHAEL and SAINT GUDULA CATHEDRAL, is a walkable 3-4 blocks off Grand Place. Have a beer and some frites...http://www.trabel.com/brussels.htm<BR>Bruges - about an hour's train ride from Brussel's Gare Centrale, no transfers. Walk straight out from the train station, cross the busy avenue, then follow the street that goes off a little to the left. You can see the tower from the square as a landmark to shoot for. Find a tourist office or shop and get a map as soon as you can into your exploration. Enjoy the Markt and the Burg (the 2 main squares), go up the Belfort (366 steps, great rooftop view) take a canal boat ride. See this site for more ideas: http://www.trabel.com/brugge.htm<BR><BR>Amsterdam - about 2.5 - 3 hrs train ride from Brussels, Gare Midi to Amsterdam Gare Centraal. There is a tourist office (VVV) at the train station, so you can get a map. I'm not sure where to get tram tickets, but I do think the VVV sells a dayticket. You can walk from the train station down Damrak (street) to Dam Square, where the Palace is located. Cross over the square, heading to the right to take Paleisstraat to Spuistraat; this will take you to the Spui, a nice treed square with cafes. <BR>Follow the Singel canal to Leidsestraat, turning right on it to cross the Singel, the Herengracht, the Keizersgracht, and the Prinsengracht to the Leidseplein, an active entertainment area (cinemas, bars, restaurants, 'coffee shops', etc). Cross thru the square and one last canal, turn left and look for the canal boat docks, and take a canal boat tour - a great way to navigate the city and see a lot of architecture. Not sure what time it would be by now, but upon your return to the boat dock, you might be able to walk to the Van Gogh Museum for a look (it probably closes about 5:00).<BR>For dinner, there is a good Indonesian restaurant near the boat dock called Srikandi at Stadhouderskade 31 (dinner only).<BR>http://www2.holland.com/amsterdam/gb/<BR>www.channels.nl<BR><BR>In my opinion, none of these cities will be 'overrun' in February. We were just in Bruges in October and it was very calm, no lines. The canal boats in Bruges are fully open-air; if that puts you off, there are also horse carriage tours (more expensive, not sure how enjoyable). The attraction of Bruges is its well-preserved medieval center, just enjoy the architecture, canals and cafes.<BR>The canal boats in Amsterdam have an enclosed area so you can hear the narrative, and then an open section in back for the 'breeze' in your hair. I love to walk, so my suggestion may be too much for one day, but the city centre is really not that big (maybe 2 miles or so from Gare Centraal to Museum Qtr?). Personally, I wouldn't bother with Heineken Brewery on a first visit, especially if only one day. It's mostly a media presentation, with some vats and the horse stables, and of course, free beer.<BR>The above-mentioned website for Jack's Travels is a very good one.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:59 PM
Quinty

I will be doing similar timing and visits as Joe (but no business), so I've been watching this post. I wasn't sure if I could fit in Bruges, but after all the recommendations I will make it fit. <BR>Alice- what great info! That's exactly what I needed as I haven't gotten that far in my itinerary planning yet. Thank you for being so specific!<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:01 PM
April

I agree with the suggestion to take a canal boat ride in Amsterdam. We took one as soon as we arrived to get an overview of the city. The boats are enclosed so you won't be cold. (I don't remember an open section - we were there in February as well.) If you have time to spare at night, try to fit another canal cruise. It's an enchanting trip with the bridges all lit up.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:08 PM
Alice

Joe and Quinty - here is a great site that gives a pictoral and descriptive tour of Bruges - you will love it!<BR>http://www.visit-bruges.com/html/guided_tour.html<BR>I printed off most of it and took it with me so I could recognize what I was looking at. If you can find an online street map, print that, too - I forgot to take that and got a little turned around once I got close to the center. Just an online map or copy one from a book would do the trick, the center isn't very big.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Joe

Although my response is somewhat delayed, my thanks are very sincere for all your recommendations!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Ira

Hi Joe,<BR> In addition to the sights. Brugge is famous for its lace. Even the machine-made stuff is very good.