Day 2: Entire day in Amsterdam
Day 3: Entire day in Amsterdam
Day 4: Day Trip to Harleem
Day 5: Amsterdam--> Brussels
Day 6: Entire day in Brussels
Day 7: Entire day in Brussels
Day 8: Day Trip to Bruggs
Day 9: Brussels --> Ireland

Currently, I need to trim down my vacation days due to conflict with school schedule. If you were in my shoes, which cities/towns would you cut back on? Should I cut down one day from each city? Or does one city deserve more time than the other? Or should I cut back on my day trip?

Thank you!
Jul 21st, 2009, 01:33 AM

Cut Brussels. Keep the day trip to, I assume you mean, Haarlem.
Jul 21st, 2009, 01:36 AM

First of all, I wouldn't advise going to Brussels at all unless you have a very specific agenda for going. Personally, I would prefer to stay in Antwerp or Gent, and just go to Brussels to see the Grand Place (and the Horta museum if you share that passion). Belgium is a fantastic food and beer destination, and I think Antwerpen and Gent the most enjoyable venues for it. (Many people like well-preserved Brugge, but it is almost solely a tourist destination).

If you are planning on just following your nose, it's going to be more rewarding to do that in Amsterdam, a city with a very enjoyable ambience. Brussels is very fragmented, with isolated spots of beauty amid of very unfortunate modern block buidling -- and great food everywhere, of course, but other places are nicer to look at and easier to negotiate.
Jul 21st, 2009, 01:57 AM

I too would cut out Brussels and Brugge. Stay in Amsterdam, do a day trip to Haarlem, and maybe another city in the Netherlands, Rotterdam if you like modern and trendy, or Den Haag, Utrecht, Leiden.
Do you have tickets booked from Brussels to Ireland? Otherwise fly Aer Lingus from Amsterdam.
Jul 21st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

My greatest fear is seeing similar looking architecture, etc.

So, what happens if I just go to Amsterdam, Haarlem, and Gent? Would that work?
Jul 21st, 2009, 02:36 AM

Well if you want some different architecture include Rotterdam in your plans. Really it is worth a day trip.
Den Haag is also very different to Amsterdam.
Are you cutting time of the start or the end of this part of the trip? in other words is your ticket to Ireland booked and set in stone?
Jul 21st, 2009, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions.

Nothing is set in stone yet. I am still in the planning phase.

I will definitely fly from Amsterdam to Ireland
Jul 21st, 2009, 02:58 AM

I think Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Gent would make for fantastic variety. It would really be something to think about.

Your greatest fear should be not getting to see the Van Eyck masterpiece in St Bavo's cathedral in Gent -- and the town's architecture.

I would also want to sample some Belgian beer, jenever, waffles, chocolates, moules, frites -- although not all at once!
Jul 21st, 2009, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Wait, how about Haarlem, Zeppole? Should I cut out Haarlem?
Jul 21st, 2009, 03:11 AM

I would suggest you arrive in Amsterdam and depending on what time you arrive in AMS, either spend one night there or get on the train to Gent immediately, spend a 2 nights in Gent, come back via Rotterdam, where you can either spend the night or just spend the day, then end up back in Amsterdam. If you have had enough of Amsterdam Haarlem is only a short train ride away and will make a pleasant change.
Jul 21st, 2009, 03:50 AM

I can't answer authoritatively because I haven't been. Pictures, however, suggest to me that the itinerary heismij outlined will eliminate your greatest fear.
Jul 21st, 2009, 04:23 AM

hobbitthefoodlover: If your architecture tastes run to modern ugly then by all means do not miss Rotterdam. It is terrible IMO.

You asked earlier So, what happens if I just go to Amsterdam, Haarlem, and Gent? Would that work? YES.

zeppole: You forgot the haring in your menu list.

Don't cut Haarlem. It has a central area around the big church with a concentration of restaurants and cafes. The Cafe Brinkman on the Grote Markt is ideal for people watching on a nice day.

For eating in Amsterdam I suggest the Luden for good food, service, and reasonable cost. Also, check out the Cafe Luxembourg and the Hoppe bar for beverages. All are at the Spui.
Jul 21st, 2009, 04:37 AM

well, rotterdam has some extraoridnarily innovative architecture. But you have to be interested in that sort of thing, not just looking for the picturesque, with some variety. But this is something to see:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/11/30...-building.html

http://www.holland.com/uk/citystyle/.../architecture/
Jul 21st, 2009, 05:07 AM

Hi; Consider visiting Maastricht, possibly the oldest city in the Netherlands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/maastricht From Amsterdan you could also consider visiting the lovely town of Muiden, with it's castle. Just about ten miles south of the city. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/muiden Dick
Jul 21st, 2009, 05:23 AM

I should ask: Did the Cactus House ever go beyond being a design concept? Does it exist in 3 dimensions in Rotterdam?
Jul 21st, 2009, 06:35 AM

Zeppole, as far as I know it is not there yet - planning decisions in the Netherlands are very slow, but I believe the intention is still to build it. I haven't been to Rotterdam for quite a while now I must admit.
Jul 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM

Thanks!
Jul 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

NYT article on Haarlem:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/07/19...yout.html?8dpc

Is this a sign?

Thank you all for your opinion! I will think about it. Cannot wait to go
Jul 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM

At last, a travel writer who pens like a poet and has actually been to Haarlem. Bravo Beth Greenfield and NYT!

The statue is Laurens Coster who locals speculate as having invented moveable type before Johann Gutenberg.