Reload this Page >

Please, need ATM advice SOON!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2000, 06:56 AM
Madeline

Leaving June 4th for Italy. <BR> <BR>Must you use a bank VISA or MASTERCARD for an ATM withdrawal, or can you withdraw from your checking account with a straight bank card with PIN from a CIRRUS Network machine?

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:01 AM
sheryl

If you do a search on ATM you will finds lots of info re: using your ATM card in Europe. I would highly recommend doing this as you may get alot of other good info and tips about using ATM machines. The answer to the question you asked is, yes you can use your regular debit card from your checking account in the ATM machines.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:27 AM
Beth Anderson

your ATM with PIN will work. If you have a PIN for your Visa, I imagine that should be fine too but I have never used mine for that. <BR> <BR>Cirrus - now that I am not completely sure as I use PLUS - but, Cirrus is pretty widely used and known. There must be a Cirrus website...

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:37 AM
Gina

Yes, you can use your regular ATM card at most European ATMs; Cirrus network is accepted most places. <BR> <BR>In fact, you *don't* want to use a Visa or Mastercard for ATM withdrawals on a regular basis, because what you're doing is a cash advance, which can cost you more both interest-wise and in terms of fees, I believe, than can simply taking money out of your checking account in the debit process. <BR> <BR>I've used nothing but my ATM card to get cash on multiple trips to England, Scotland, Ireland, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, and France. I haven't had a problem. You should be aware, though, that there have been recent problems in France with ATMs being out of service due to an armored-vehicle drivers strike. <BR> <BR>

Old May 23rd, 2000, 09:23 AM
Caitlin

You need a four-digit PIN in Europe, so change yours if it's longer, just to be safe. Also, you don't get to choose which account to withdraw from, so make sure your cash is in your checking account before you go. Ask your bank about any fees, so you won't be shocked when you get home. Unless you mean to make a cash advance, use your ATM card for cash and restrict the credit card to regular purchases.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 10:23 AM
Lisa Peretz

I just returned from Florence, Tuscany and Rome and I used my ATM card to withdraw money everywhere. They're everywhere AND you get the best rate of exchange. I also used it for purchases. <BR>Only a 4 digit pin code will work so if yours is longer, stop by your local bank and change it to a 4 digit code. No letters, only numbers. It takes 1 minute to change.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 11:18 AM
greg

Madeline, <BR> <BR>I am not a banker but here is what I am guessing how it works based on where they accept the cards. <BR> <BR>What makes confusing is the terminology VISA or Mastercard being very ambiguous. Now a days most cards of all sorts carry these logos. This includes traditional credit cards as well as ATM/debit cards. You cannot tell by these logos in front what they are, you have to know whether it is credit or debit card. When advise is given not to use VISA or MASTERCARD for cash withdrawl from ATM machine, what is meant is not to use the credit card, not merely what the front of the card says. <BR> <BR>Corporate wise, if you go to ATM locator it is very clear how the market is split. MASTERCARD=CIRRUS and VISA=PLUS. <BR> <BR>What I have surmised is Cirrus/Plus designation at the back of the cards designates the ATM machine you can use. What is again confusing is credit card also has Cirrus/Plus disignation at the back. You have to know what type of card it is to know if you get hit with interest or not, not just what it says at the back of the card. <BR> <BR>The front side VISA/MASTERCARD designation appears to designate POS type of transaction (as opposed to ATM). So when going to restaurant and want to charge the bill, you use a credit card with VISA/MASTERCARD in front, while if you want to be taken out of your checking account you use ATM/debit card, also with VISA/MASTERCARD logo in front. <BR> <BR>

Old May 23rd, 2000, 12:08 PM
Caitlin

Contrary to the previous posting, if you have an ATM/debit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo, you can use it to charge purchases anywhere you can use one of those credit cards, with the cost debited from your checking account, as well as to withdraw from an ATM. But if you have a debit card, you already know this.

Old May 25th, 2000, 01:21 AM
Richard

For security reasons I changed from a "debit" card with VISA logo to a "straight" ATM card which can ONLY be used with a PIN. (With a VISA logo, card can be used for purchases without the PIN.) Cirrus ATM machines are all over the place. Do not be discouraged when you get a message something like "card not authoruzed for international use. Contact your bank." Simply go to another machine. Most will work. It SEEMED that this problem was more frequent when ATM was near a money exchange business. Coincidence? <BR>Anyway, you will have no problem with Cirrus.