Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

England or Scotland bound? Great traveler's map on National Geographics's June issue!!

Search

England or Scotland bound? Great traveler's map on National Geographics's June issue!!

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2000, 04:16 AM
Maira

Great folded-enclosure map of England and Scotland on Natonal Geographics's June issue! This supplements a great article on London! Definitely worth the $3+ cost.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 06:19 PM
Joe

I agree. If you are going to London anytime soon, you may want to pick up the June 2000 issue of National Geographic. It has a wonderful London map with all the streets and the top 30 attractions clearly marked. The reverse side is a map (not a highway map) of Britain & Ireland.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 09:11 PM
Al

IMHO, the best maps of Britain are the Ordnance Survey maps, available in AA (Automobile Association) shops throughout the land. Don't try to navigate off-the-beaten-track Britain without them.

Old May 24th, 2000, 12:32 AM
frank

Al is right, Ordnance Survey maps show every telephone kiosk,pub,hotel,stream & large boulder, also contour lines. <BR>Largeish scale ones (1.25in/mile) of the locality are available in many rural shops no need to buy ahead.

Old May 25th, 2000, 02:49 AM
mark

Hi ... <BR> <BR>I would recommend travellers buying the Ordance Survey Tourist Maps. They have yellow covers and are 25000/1. They cover most of the main tourist areas. They are very detailed & can be bought from any newsagent eg. W.H. SMITH. Also for those of you who may be hiking, there are waterproof ones available. <BR>Mark