Please Help With Translating French Lease Guarantor Document

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always considered myself fluent in French, however, I can't quite get the exact meaning of some of this "legalese".I'm kind of tird and my eyes are failing so I need help please. Can someone help me out?

(My husband typed this for me, therefore no accents0

- declare avoir conscience d'engager mes biens et revenus personnels, par les presentes:
- declare me porter caution solidaire, sans benefice de division ni de discussion, du reglement:

-- des loyers et des charges
-- des impots et taxes
-- des reparations locatives
des indemnites d'occupation eventuellement dues apres la resiliation due bail ou le conge
-- des toutes autres indemnites tels des dommages et interets, des indemnities dues a titre de clause penale
-- de tous interets

dus par ______________ (name of our daughter)

I get the gist, (we are co-signing and hereby agree to take on all the problems, etc in case our daughter doesn't) but I am translating for another parent who wants a clearer translation.

MANY MANY thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
declare to be aware to enter my property and personal income, hereby:
- Declare myself surety solidarity, without benefit of division or discussion of settlement:

- Rents and charges
- In taxes and fees
- Repairs of rental
severance of occupancy possibly due after the lease termination due or leave
- Of all other indemnities as to damages, compensation was payable under clause penale
- All interest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM

In other words, you're obligating yourself, as guarantor (I guess for your daughter) that if she doesn't pay, you will. And it will be your sole responsibility (in America, it's the "severally liable" part of the "jointly and severally liable" language.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - that's pretty much what I understood. I guess I was wondering what evxctly phrases such as "all interest", what "taxes and fees" - you know the stuff you'd have a lawyer look at for you here.

So thanks - since yours and mine match pretty well, im gonna go with it. I mean, who really understands aLL legalese anyway, unless you're a lawyer.

THank YOU
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM

I AM a lawyer, lol.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

You rock surfergirl! Thanks for your reply.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 05:45 PM

Don't know your exact situation - or obviously anything about the law in France - but for your own peace of mind I would have you daughter take lots of detailed photos of wherever she's going to live as soon as she moves in - so the owner can;t later claim all sorts of "damages". I'm sure it;s likely the landlord will be very fair and honest - but you never know. and the last thing you would want is a court case in another country.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 02:09 AM

It's standard in France to do a pre move-in inspection (état des lieux) with both parties present, and all damage, etc. is carefully noted. She should insist that *every* tiny mark, scuff, nail hole, chip, etc. be noted to avoid problems when she leaves. The same inspection should be done when she leaves.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 02:44 AM

Agree with the above - though have one small remark: congé in this context means "notice", as in notice to terminate the lease.
(oh, and clause pénale = penalty clause, if you hadn't worked that out already!)

And I agree (as I wrote in reply to your other thread) that it's very important to do a detailed "état des lieux". Your daughter shouldn't feel uncomfortable about pointing out any minor flaw, or feel that she's being difficult. In this case it is definitely better safe than sorry!
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

hanl and others - yes our daughter will be taking millions of pictures! thanks!