Search

Please help with Spain Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with Spain Itinerary

Hello,
We're a family of four (two college-age daughters). We've traveled quite a bit together and like a mix of cities and small towns, exploring untouristy places, sitting in squares, people watching, walking (3 of us like hiking), and visiting cathedrals, museums, and other big sights. We usually stay in budget hotels and eat relatively cheaply. To give you an idea of what I don't like -- I'm probably the only person in this forum who really didn't enjoy Prague -- too crowded, stag parties, didn't feel "authentic" at all. Given all of that, I'd love any comments you'd make about the following trip in July. We'll be flying into Barcelona and I'm planning to spend three nights there, then two nights in Zaragoza. Then I'm hoping we can rent a car and spend approx. a week driving southwest, making our way to Extremadura (Trujillo? villages of the Sierra de Francia?) and Caceres, specifically, where we'd spend two nights. (I'm hoping we can drop the car there, but I haven't checked that.) We'll then go to Salamanca for 2 or 3 nights, and Segovia for two nights. Our final stop will be Madrid, where we'll spend 3 nights before flying home. We have a total of 19 nights in Spain.
Thank you for your help!
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:53 AM

July can be a very hot months.
Most places like Barcelona, Madrid, Salamnca , Segovia ARE touristy because they have so much to offer.
I am not familiar with small towns - maybe something in the less hot North or the Basque country..
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:56 AM

I didn't like Barcelona for the same reasons you didn't like Prague. I often describe it to other people as a place where the whole town is having a party I'd rather not be at. However, it is authentic and if you like Gaudi (I don't) you might be more amused.

Given your stated interests, I'm thinking that you might adore a trip through Catalonia, including seeing the Plaza Major in Vic and its other fantastic architecture, and visiting Girona (magnificent cathedral and lovely old town, plus hiking, hiking hiking in the low Pyrenees and visiting some incredible beach towns like Calella da Palafrugell or Cadaques to cool off in July. Much of Catalonia is very untouristy, especially in the hills, but you do have to dodge the crowds along the Costa Brava, so pick your spots. The Rough Guide to the Costa Brava is very good.

I've not been to the other places you are targeting, so I can't compare. But thought I'd share that.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:57 AM

I don't think Madrid is touristy if you avoid the tourist traps, and that is very easy to do. But do avoid them. They're awful. (I don't mean the museums.)
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, we're prepared for the heat. We spent last July in Greece, and many days it was over a hundred degrees, so I think I know what I'm in for! I'm looking forward to the cities like Segovia, Salamanca, etc., because I know the sights will be worth it. I'll do some more research into Catalonia. In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas about the Zaragoza - Caceres route, I'd welcome them. Thanks.