Brussels Day Trip

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brussels Day Trip

We will be in Brussels for four days in late May. That seems sufficient to take one day trip or (perhaps even two - we will play it by ear) , and we are looking for suggestions.

During other parts of the trip, we will be going to Antwerp, Brugge, and Ghent, so those places are not on the daytrip list of possibilities.

Some places we have in mind are 1) Namur 2) Tournai 3) Mechelen 4) Waterloo and 5) Aachen, Germany. We would prefer to take train or bus rather than driving. Any comments on these places or otehrs?

Thanks
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Any particular reason you're considering Aachen? You may want to consider Maastricht (Netherlands) instead. It would be a bit closer than traveling to Aachen and more interesting IMO.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM

I also would explore the Netherlands, or even Paris by fast train.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:34 PM

I've been to both Aachen and Maastricht - I liked both but of the 2, Maastricht is more charming (and Aachen more historical). Can't comment on the others, though as I haven't been. I have heard of people doing day trips to Waterloo, though. If you were thinking of heading east, what about Dinant, Liege or Spa?
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM

I agree that Spa would be a nice day trip, especially if you go to the thermal baths. We were there a couple of months ago and had a lovely time - the baths are wonderful, with indoor and outdoor pools, sauna, hammam, jacuzzis etc., and great views. The town itself is also pleasant, and the surrounding countryside is very pretty.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. One of the reasons we picked Aachen is it is beacuse it's in Germany - and gives us a chance to visit that country, even if only for a day (I have never been)

We thought of Paris, but since both of us have been there twice before, we sort of ruled it out. Spa seems like an interesting possibility - instead of just sightseeing, the use of the pools, etc. seems like fun.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 11:20 AM

We are in the midst of planning a trip to Belgium and the Netherlands and are considering Rochfort as a day trip from Brussels - see a bit of the Ardennes mountains, see the caves there, etc. Since the rest of our trip is in flat country, we think this will be a nice contrast.