Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help with Naples and Sorrento itinerary

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family with 9 year old boy will be in Rome and than we will go to Sorrento for 4 nights. We will take a train from Rome to Naples in the morning. Should we stay the rest of the day in Naples and see some major attraction and than at evening go to Sorrento? What is interesting for kid to see in Naples? Archeological museum, Royal Palace? Than we will spend 3 days in Sorrento :1 day Amalfi Coast, 1 day Capri, 1 day Pompeii and Vesuvius. Is this plan good or we should make 1 whole day in Naples and rearange other days? Should we take tour from Sorrento to Pompeii and Vesuvius? What is a good tour company for that? Or if we will go on our own to Pompeii (can we get tour guide at the sight?) how to get from Pompeii to the Mountain?
Thanks a lot for any help
Mariya
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:50 PM

Good questions, I see you have done some research too. If you are arriving with luggage it might be better to just go on to your hotel in Sorrento and spend the day exploring around there, then take day trips back into Naples, Pompeii, etc. You found some good places to see in Naples, it might be nice to see them before you go to Pompeii on another day or that same afternoon if you are going after the time change so it will be light longer.
You can take the commuter train from Sorrento back to Pompeii (and even back into Naples) and get a guide at the gate. If you want to add V. better hire a driver in Sorrento or find a day tour there, there are local travel agencies in Sorrento who will help you. I wouldn't pick out a driver from Pompeii to take you to Mt. V, too iffy.
You will need a whole day for Capri, a day for Pomp. and V., a day for Naples, and another for touring the ACoast, hire a taxi driver from Tasso Square in Sorrento for this trip, negotiate the price for the day, they all speak enough English for that. Find one that you have a good rapport with and it will be a fun day.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:55 PM

PS: When is your trip?
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:26 AM

For an excellent limo company in Naples area try to contact Sorrentolimo on their web-site www.sorrentolimo.com
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:43 AM
ira

Hi Mariya

When in Naples, I suggest you go to the
Capella Sansevero Via De Sanctis Wed.-Sat. 10-6:40, Sun. 10-1:10, the Veiled Christ is amazing.

Your son might like the Castel dell 'Ovo. He might also find the funiculare ride up to Castel S. Elmo fun. You get a great view of the city and Mt Vesuvius.

If you can, hang around Naples for the passageta at around 5:00 PM, then have a pizza before going to Sorrento.

There are tour guides and an audioguide tour at Pompeii.

See the Naples/AC portion of my trip report
Ira?s Trip Report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 05:03 AM

Kevin - Please don't 'advertise' here. You seem to have registered here solely for that purpose.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for info.
We will be in Sorrento from apr.8 to apr 12. I forgot to ask if it's safe to leave luggage in Naples train station (luckers or storage room) for a day ?
Thanks
Mariya
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 05:58 AM
ira

Hi mariya

Go to http://www.napolipiazzagaribaldi.it/...nt=m_5&lang=en

for a map of the train station.

Left luggage is on the ground floor. It is safe.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:30 AM

About how much does the cost of a pompeii tour guide run? (I mean one you hire at the gate). Thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:00 AM
yk

sera-

From what I've read on this board + guide books, a guide costs about €80-€100. It is expensive unless you have a good size group with you. A lot of posters here (myself included) really liked the audioguide for a much cheaper price. Here is a recent link more about guide options in Pompeii.
If you have your mind set on hiring a guide and want to get more opinions on the cost, I suggest you post a new thread with the title "Pompeii guides - how much" or similar. You might get more responses.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34477334
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 11:37 PM

A guide will cost the best part of €100.
The cost of entry is €10 and an audio guide is also €10.