Please help with Christmas Market plans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are taking a short trip to Germany for the Christmas markets and I need some guidance with my itinerary. Because we are only there for four nights, I want to base in Munich and just do a couple of day trips. We have been to Munich before – that’s what sparked my interest in the Christmas markets. I found good airfare for this time frame, but that’s the only thing I’ve purchased so far. Here’s what I was thinking:

Day 1 (Fri): Arrive in Munich 7:50 am from USA. Explore city.
Day 2 (Sat): Day trip to Nurnberg.
Day 3 (Sun): Munich.
Day 4 (Mon): Day trip to Salzburg.
Day 5 (Tues): Depart Munich for 3pm flight.

To those of you that have done a similar trip, does this look like a good plan? Should I substitute a different day trip somewhere? I was really hoping to see Rothenburg ODT, but I just think that we would spend too much time on the train trying to fit that in. Any thoughts? We usually like to rent a car when we travel, but given the time of year and length of the trip, we’ll just take trains this time.

I’m also trying to decide on a hotel. We stayed at the Laimer Hof last time and loved it, but I’d like to be a little closer to the city center this time. I know a lot of people recommend the Hotel Uhland, but again, I’m wondering if they are further out than I want to be. I realize that they are close to a subway stop, but I like the idea of being in the city center for such a short trip. I don’t want to spend more than 125 Euros per night, so my choices are limited. I’m considering Hotel Acanthus, which is about a five minute walk to the Marienplatz according to their website. I’d prefer to stay at a small place rather than a hotel chain. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Nuremberg is fairly far for a daytrip. It'd be better to stay over there for one night or in Rothenburg, which is nearby, and see both towns. You shouldn't miss Rothenburg.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:27 PM

We did all three Christmas fairs Russ mentioned last December. Drove from Munich airport directly to Nuremberg, where we stayed. Daytripped to Rothenberg, then returned to Munich. Nuremberg was the largest and oldest of the fairs. Loved the Nuremberg wurst and gingerbread. Rothenberg was lovely and very quaint.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:51 AM

Nürnberg will be horribly crowded on Saturdays (like all the big markets) because that's when the one-day tour buses from all over the country arrive. Go any day but not Saturday.
Nürnberg is one hour by train without any changes, so that's no big deal, I don't get why people think it's too far. Much easier than getting to Rothenburg, which requires at least one change.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:05 AM

I always think it's far from Munich to Nuremberg because it's 100 miles plus, but Quokka's right if you're using the ICE trains (about 90 Euros for 2 for normal tickets.) I normally use RE and/or RB trains on the Bayern ticket (27 Euros for 2-5 people) which require a slower pace (2-3 hours) and more stops but if you have a railpass or pay the 90 euros it can go pretty quickly.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:09 AM

Oops - meant to say 180 Euros Munich to Nuremberg if you're doing an ICE daytrip (round trip, you know!!) That's about 7 daytrips on the Bayern ticket.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll definitely switch my day in Nurnberg. I'd like to rent a car and go straight from the airport to Rothenburg or Nurnberg, but I'm a little hesitant to have a car because of possible bad weather. I'll have to think about that. Every other trip we've done we have had a car, and that is definitely the most convenient way to go, IMO.

I appreciate the advice!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

By the way, thanks for the heads up about the Bayern ticket not covering the ICE trains. I didn't realize that, so that may change my plans!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 03:09 PM

The good thing about staying in Nürnberg and Rothenburg is that Christmas Markets are best seen at night. They are for me a bit soulless during the day.

I would still take the train. Cars are great for visiting Germany's countryside but for my money only a hassle in towns.

Have a good time.

Regards, Gary

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Our rental car from the Munich airport had GPS and driving was just a breeze! You just punch in where you are and where you are going, and the system plots the directions for you. It warns you about each turn and reroutes you if you make a mistake.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 09:53 PM

IMO, Christmas markets are pretty much the same. Nurnberg is on of the largest, and it's very nice. I'd stay the night in that area, and visit Rothenburg. It's lovely at Christmas. Not to be missed. Cologne has a great market too, however it is way too far from Munich.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:42 PM

I like your plan of Munich, Nurnberg and Saltzburg. Those are three really good markets and cities with the Christmas scene. Yes, Rothenberg is quaint but the market is nothing. The shopping in the small stores (and K. Wolfahrts) is good but you can do that anytime. Just my opinion. Enjoy! CJ
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 02:03 AM

Käthe Wohlfahrt's is on all Christmas markets all over Germany selling the same stuff everywhere. No need to go to Rothenburg for that.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:32 AM

We went to Rothenburg's market last year and really loved it. We trained from Frankfurt.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 08:23 AM

You might consider skipping Salzburg. The market there is small, compared to many others, and the city will be packed in December. And then there's the "Salzburg premium," the higher amount charged for just about everything compared with other towns.

The German markets that I liked best were in Passau and Regensberg, both good towns to explore.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the replies! Here's what we've decided so far based on everyone's advice:

Day 1 (Fri): Fly into Munich and pick up rental car. Drive to Rothenburg, staying at Hotel Klosterstuble. I want to do the night watchman's tour while there. We had hoped to see Rothenburg on our last trip, but didn't make it that far north, so I figure Christmas will be a great time. Plus Gary_Mc had a great point about seeing the towns at night!

Day 2: Depart Rothenburg for Nuremberg. I want to see the city, take some pictures and have a wurst (I hear they are especially good here!)Afterward, head to Munich and drop off car that night or next morning. Overnight tonight and rest of trip in Munich at Hotel Acanthus.

Day 3: Explore Munich

Day 4: I'd still like to see Salzburg, if we are up to it. I've never been there and would like to check out the city and take some pics. We'll use the Bayern pass unless we decide to leave prior to 9am.

Day 5: Spend morning in Munich before heading to airport for 3pm flight home.

Now, I know I've been advised to not visit Nuremberg on a Saturday, but unless we decide to stop on the way to Rothenburg, I really don't have another day in such a short trip. We are very flexible, so if we get there and are overwhelmed by the crowds, we'll just grab a bite to eat and get back on the road.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Why not avoid Sat in N'burg by going there on Fri, R'burg on Day 2?

Also: I don't see the advantage of having a car for 2 days since your route can easily be covered by train. It's 2 hours MUC-Nürnberg, 29 Euros each w/ advance purchase tickets on the fast trains. R'burg to N'berg is simple by train. On Day 1 you'll likely be tired from the flight; on the train you could just relax or nap while you head north rather than climb behind the wheel.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Russ - thanks for the advice. We may end up going to Nuremberg on Friday, then head to Rothenburg that afternoon/evening. I really want to stay a night in R'burg, but don't want to be checking in and out of hotels for the short time we'll be there, so that's why we put that at the beginning of the trip.

I understand what you mean about having a car for only 2 days, we were back and forth on that decision!
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Take the train. It's a December weekend. Jet lag, traffic jams, looking for parking in crowded cities and the possibility of black ice on the roads do not make an enjoyable combination.