Christmas Markets by Train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm staying in Munich the week after Thanksgiving and plan to go to the Christmas Markets by Train. I'd like to go to the markets Nuremberg, Rothenburg, Salzburt, and maybe Innsbruck. I'd also like to go to Swarovski's CrystalWorld in Wattens, Austria. I'm staying near the Munich train station.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:59 AM

There is a very large Swarovski store in Munich at Marienplatz, but your best prices will be in Austria where the crystal is made. As I recall from many years ago, Marienplatz is where the Munich Christmas market is located.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 09:07 AM

My favorite is the Nuremberg Christkindlmarkt, stayed at a small hotel in the early 1990's right off the main town square. I'm still recovering from too much rostbratwurst, hot spiced wine(gluhwein) and lebkuchen. Bought lots of neat homemade toys and gifts for the family and kiddies.
I'd say you have a great trip ahead of you! Munich is one of the best cities for taking daytrips in any direction and it looks like you have'em covered.
In your case, a railpass would be convenient. I usually buy second class point to point tickets, haven't bought a railpass in years, so I don't want to give you any outdated info.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 11:28 AM

You would be wise to stay at least one night in the Rothenburg/Nuremberg area if you plan to visit there. The days are quite short at that time of year, and the trip from Munich and back is a fairly long one by train. I can't really imagine doing a single daytrip to both R'burg and N'berg from Munich, and there isn't much point in wasting cash on a second trip there and back.

It is possible to ride the regional trains within Bavaria on a daypass for only 22 Euros/day, no matter the distance you travel. It's called the Bayern Ticket - look into this possibility as you plan your stay.

The Nuremberg market is charming, but very busy these days, I understand.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 12:35 PM

try www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk
it's a link from the germany.tourism.de web site. It's a great source for the dates and hours of all the German markets. Look for ones that are "traditional" for the best quality items.
Try to go during the week rather than the weekend. Also go early as the crowds get quite thick in the afternoon and on weekends.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 02:56 AM

Please don't be too suprised if you see the SAME items being sold at every different Christmas Market.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:05 AM

Two places where we *didn't* see the same stuff being sold everywhere else:
Dusseldorf and Muenster. Dusseldorf has one of Germany's top art schools and many students and graduates have stalls at the market--their wares are individual and quite attractive. Muenster is far off the beaten tourist track--its Christmas market patrons are mostly locals, so they go for the "real thing"--not the same mass market stuff you find at many markets.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:16 AM

actually, there are numerous Christmas markets in Munich--all have slightly different character.

Budman is correct in that the main market can be found sprawling out of Marienplatz. This is similar to the one in Salzburg, although on a smaller scale.

My personal favorite is the Market at Münchner Freitheit. There, (if one can generalize), you will find a younger, more hip crowd--and the best feature is that the artisans stationed here have some very unique wares to sell. Anything from handcrafted pepper mills, to dishes and beautiful beeswax candles.

Another favorite (although not a populated and a bit of a walk) is the market at the Chinese Tower beer garden in the middle of the English Garden. Really need stuff there to purchase.

My wife and I have started a tradition of collecting the various "harferl" mugs in which the Gluhwein (mulled wine) and hot chocolate are served. Basically, with each drink you buy, you also pay a ~2 Euro deposit on the mug, and you get that money back when you return the mug to virtually any stand. If you'd like to keep the mug, then you just take it with you. The mugs come in different shapes and with various artworks--usually multiple styles at each market.

The Nurnemberg and Salzburg markets are way too touristy for me--I've vowed never to return, because there are just too many people and most of the stuff can be found in Munich.

Wherever you go, DO eat lots of Heiß Maroni--roasted chestnuts... they're the best!

Don't know about Innsbruck, and haven't been to Wattens.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:21 AM

Sorry, I banged out that last message without proofing it.

Re the Chinese Tower garden, the one sentence should read "Really NEAT stuff there to purchase"

AND in German, the mug is a "Haferl"--not a Harferl.