Home Exchange in England!!

Jul 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Home Exchange in England!!

I am here in NW england on a home exchange and having the best time. Everyone, who is not "weird" about their homes, should do a home swap.ASAP. This is brilliant!! Really! We have been welcomed by neighbors, given tours, gifts and terrific advice. The best thing aboout this is... the same is happening for our exchangers. Pay it forward travel is great. Don't hesitate to home swap, as long as you aren't a worry wart or a stressor, because it is the best way to immerse yourself in a real country experience. Questions?? I'm open. Tina
Jul 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM

I am so interested in this! Which website did you use?
Jul 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Home exchange IS great -- we leave in a week for our Netherlands exchange -- can't wait!
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Two years ago I had a great London exchange in Hampstead Heath for my home in Southern California Encinitas which is close to the beach. I would do it again in a minute. http://www.homelink.org/
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:58 PM

tinabina

Glad you're having fun. I, too, am interested in the name of the home swap service you have used.

jrecm -

Thanks for the link. I am checking them out also.

c.
Aug 11th, 2007, 09:21 AM

I bet one of the reasons you are enjoying it so much is the friendliness of the North West -where are you staying and where have you been?
Aug 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM

the people i know who have done this exchanged with people they knew who lived in the country they wanted to live/visit.
i have always been a little hesitant to exchange with someone I don't know.

so i am very interested in hearing more about your experiences with home/exchange companies.
Aug 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Back in San diego from NW England. The web site I used was homelink.org. Our trip was terrrific. We swapped cars and homes, which was challeging for DH since it was a stick shift. He did great! I would definately swap again. I think one reason it worked really well for us, was the fact that I searched for a very equitable exchange including 2 kids similiar ages, comparable vehicles and home "value". So we had nothing but nice surprises and felt it was an "even" exchange. I think you have to work at finding a proper fit for an exchange, we spoke through e-mail at length and very often. We eventually spoke on the telephone and felt like old friends by the time we heard each others voice. We have friendly helpful inclusive neighbors and so did they. They were invited to our neighborhood weekly pool party, brought gifts of wine, beer, rides to and from the rental car place(they had a rental from their drive from Las Vegas to our house) and my parents even came down and BBQ'd for them. My favorite part of the experience was the people we met, whether it was "Quiz Night" at the local pub or chatting with farm stand owners in Chesire everyone was warm and generous. Great experience..can't wait to do it again.
Aug 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

We stayed on the Wirral in Heswall. Lovely location. we took day trips to Chester, Beeston Castle, Conwy Castle in Wales and visited various villages Tarporley, Neston,Birkenhead and also the city of Liverpool. We took a train into London for a four day visit. Saw lots of sites Tower of London, London Eye, St Pauls etc. Liked London but was most happy exploring the Wirral and Chesire areas. Cheers!
Aug 11th, 2007, 10:57 AM

We have had 19 exchanges over seven years without a problem on either end.

It is a great way to travel ( and save money) but it is not everyone's "cup of tea".
We use Homelink and Homeexchange.