Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help with 5 year anniversary dinner in Paris!

Jun 6th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

DH and I are planning our 5 year anniversary trip for the end of June. We'll be in Cannes for 3 nights and Paris for 4 nights. I'm having a hard time finding a suitable place for our anniversary dinner in Paris, and seriously, it's PARIS, so I'm feeling pretty idiotic right now. Here's what I think I'd like:

-- Must be very romantic.
-- I want this to be THE "authentic amazing French food" night of the trip (so don't send me to an Italian restaurant or something like taht!)
-- We are only 30, so I'd prefer a restaurant where we aren't going to be the only people under 50, and there are not going to be a ton of children. My DH likes very modern restaurants, but I really would prefer the authentic romantic French experience. So, I guess something romantic/traditional, but not too stuffy is in order.
-- I really, really love French food, but all the "best" restaurants I look at are around $200 Euros per person before wine, which is basically going to put us in the $500 range before we even sit down and order something to drink. I know Paris is more expensive, but am I crazy to think that we should be able to eat at one of the "best" restaurants for, say $300 total, including one good (but on the inexpensive end) bottle of wine?
-- We love good food, but this is ALL about ambiance. We are not the type of people you can send to a "cute" hole in the wall place with "amazing food" on our anniverary and we'll be happy. We want romance, and something to look around at!

Okay, so is there anything that fits this bill, or am I crazy? Thanks in advance!
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:37 AM

My favourite restaurant in Paris, especially for a romantic dinner, is Pomze (www.pomze.com). My husband and I went there for my birthday in 2006 and have returned a few times. I've also recommended it to other couples and received good feedback.

It might suit you well because:

a) It will satisfy your husband's taste for modern, while also satisfying your taste for an authentic, romantic French experience. The restaurant is located on the Right Bank in a converted Haussmanian apartment. The restaurant itself is one floor up and you get a nice view through trees of the Paris streets. The decor has simple, modern lines but it's not harsh or cold. The restaurant consists of a series of small rooms and the tables are well-spaced, so you don't feel crowded. It's not the least bit stuffy.

b) I certainly have seen a number of couples out (and I don't think I've ever seen small children). (Note: On the other hand, the restaurant could accommodate a group with a noisy kid or two because they have some tiny private rooms away from the main rooms.)

c) The cuisine is very innovative, but is based on classic ingredients - the most important of which is apples. (Hence the name - "pommes", pronounced "pomze" is the french word for apple.) The restaurant is associated with an apple growers' cooperative in Normandy. Every dish has some apple in it (some more than others), but apples are used very creatively but without gimmicks. You can also order with your meal a "flight" (3 small glasses) of alcoholic cider, each cider matched to one of your courses. The staff will come and explain exactly what kind of apple it is and why it was chosen to match your dish. (Of course, the restaurant serves wine, too.)

c) The price is right for a couple that wants to splurge a little but can't spend a lot. The prix fixe 3 course menu is about 35 euros, the flight of ciders is 12 euros. If you order off the prix fixe menu, two courses will cost you about 35 euros. We tend to order one prix fixe menu and then an appetizer and main course off the regular menu, to give us more options - and then share the one always spectacular dessert.

d) The service is very professional and courteous and at least some of the staff speak good English.

The only negative (from your husband's perspective) is that I wouldn't characterise the restaurant as trendy or hip in any way. It's stylish and modern, but you won't find it populated with "branché (hip) Parisiens".

If it fits within your budget, go to the champagne bar at the Sofitel Trocadero.

Make sure you make a reservation a few days in advance.

One alternative suggestion: We haven't tried it yet but we're planning to next week to Les Bouquinistes on the Left Bank (www.lesbouquinistes.com). It's supposed to have a great view, down on the Seine. I think it attracts a lot of visitors to Paris, but the kind who want a gastronomic adventure (and can pay for a moderate splurge).
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:41 AM

I've been to Les Bouquinistes and the meal was superb! There is sort of a view, past the cars rushing by if you get a table by the window but once the sun sets you don't really notice it. It can be noisy because of the wooden floors and our table was in the middle of the room. We were six people so couldn't have one of the nice ones by the window. But the food was wonderful, that I can tell you.
Jun 7th, 2007, 02:19 AM

Here's another vote for Les Bouquinistes. We have been twice and absoulutely enjoyed every morsel.

I regret not going on our most recent trip to Paris.

Another favorite is Jaques Cagna. Very romantic and the food is sensational.
www.jacquescagna.com

For a real splurge , La Truffiere.
More expensive, but their menu degustation is memorable.
www.latruffiere.com
Jun 7th, 2007, 02:33 AM

And why not LES OMBRES on top of the brand new Quai Branly Museum, with an incredible Tour Eiffel and Seine River view.You may arrange an exclusive menu at +or- 150 euros per person...and book a musci band and one of the best Terraces in Paris just for your party.

A prior private visit of this state of the art museum is a good idea (kids adore)

www.lesombres-restaurant.com
Jun 7th, 2007, 04:17 AM
ira

HI L,

You might find it useful to enter <Paris Restaurant> in the "search this forum" box.

There are dozens of threads on this subject.

Jun 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I'm off to check some of these out online! I did do a search for Paris restaurant, but had some specific requirements I was looking at. (I try not to post questions that have been asked, I promise.) If anyone else has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Jun 7th, 2007, 07:03 AM
tod

What about dining at Le Ciel, top of Tour Montparnasse. You can look down on the whole of Paris lit up like a million stars below! How romantic is that!
Jun 7th, 2007, 07:33 AM

We will be dining at Le Ciel in just a matter of days...
Jun 7th, 2007, 08:34 AM

The Restaurant Helene Darroze meets almost all of your criteria to please both your husband and yourself. The upstairs dining room is very romantic and I think it consistently attracts the most stylish and intersting looking clientele of any of the high-end restaurants--all and all a lovely backdrop for your celebration!

Jun 7th, 2007, 08:48 AM

You can read my review of les ombres restaurant here + pictures ! I think it is a good place to celebrate an anniversary, especially at night when the Iron Lady is sparkling!!
http://afoodiefroggy.canalblog.com/a...6/4222083.html