Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anybody been to this restaurant in Paris?

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A group of 7 of us are to celebrate my friend's big birthday when in Paris. I saw this restaurant, which has a set menu which can include a birthday cake, and wondered if anyone has ever heard of it or been there.

"Auberge Le Pot de Terre" in the 5th.

DON'T want to spend 50-60 $U.S. per person, so looking for reasonable yet good.

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 06:35 AM

I do not know the place. But $50 is 34 Euro and that it what I would call very reasonable for a complete dinner in Paris. Not sure where you would be able to be satisfied for much less than that...for a complete meal...
you might get much better deals if you were willing to have lunch instead of dinner..
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 06:38 AM

We just had dinner there last Monday night with another couple. We are all Americans, have been traveling in Europe for a month or so - our friends met us in the city and we found this restaurant on a website which listed non-smoking establishements. That was our main criteria - we were all tired of breathing second-hand smoke while trying to enjoy a meal.

The restaurant is a little touristy, but pretty cool in that it's in a cave-like cellar, with small rooms and a pretty amazing bathroom set-up. (Watch your head!)

The food was okay - not the best I've had, but definitely not bad, either. The price was right. We each had the 16-Euro entree, plate and dessert. (I think there's a 12-Euro set-up, as well as a 9-Euro choice where you either forego the entree or the dessert).

I had the onion soup, leg of lamb, and I don't even remember what I had for dessert.

We shared two bottles of wine. I think you could order house wine in a carafe for less.

I think the final bill was about 45 to 50 Euros per couple - seems reasonable to me.

Service was good, if impersonal. The atmosphere was great - and no smoking is big plus in my book.

The street outside was fun to wander before dinner - we went into a really retro James Bond-style pub for drinks - all red velevet and plush - fun.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else?
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Comments on other sites (some in French)

http://www.eng.cityvox.fr/restaurant...opinions-Place