Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help! Trying to book on Trenitalia.com.

Jun 21st, 2010, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

I am trying to book my train tickets on the Trenitalia site. Train Euronight 220 on August 3 from Venezia S. Lucia (19:57) to Paris Bercy (08:19). It is giving me a fare of 135 Euros for 3 pax to travel second class when I choose the smart price option.
Do I have to do anything with the following:
Do you want to add other passengers with different prices?
Seat near to ?
The Seats descriptions: C4 Couchettes is already filled. Also, it says "No seats availability for the selected fare/service". Does this mean it is already booked?

When I click on the continue button, it gives me the following message, "We apologize, but at the moment there is no availability for the chosen fare. Select a new fare and retry later".

I am trying to book the tickets from the U.S. and I am aware that 70% of the U. S. credit cards are rejected. But I can't even seem to get to that point where I can enter my credit card info to buy the tickets.

Thanks in advance.
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:45 AM

I had a LOT of issues with Trenitalia recently, and wound up purchasing my train tickets for travel in September through www.italiarail.com
I've also heard www.raileurope.com is a good website to use instead of Trenitalia.
* Do you want to add other passengers with different prices? You don't have to do anything here
* Seat near to ? You don't have to do anything here either unless some of the passengers you are traveling with have already purchased their tickets.
Regarding your question on whether or not the seats are already booked since you are getting the error message.....I'm not sure; I *believe* the seats are released 60 days prior to the travel date on Trenitalia's website.
I am also in the US and would highly suggest using another website to purchase your tickets...good luck!
Jun 21st, 2010, 08:23 AM

Trenitalia does not accept credit cards from the US online.

You don't need to book ahead of time. Just go to the train station and buy your tickets before you leave. There are ticket machines at the station that accept your credit cards. If you will be traveling on the weekend, you might want to buy your tickets the day before. Get a reserved seat for weekend travel between major cities.
Jun 21st, 2010, 08:51 AM
ira

Hi ooh,

>C4 Couchettes is already filled. Also, it says "No seats availability for the selected fare/service". Does this mean it is already booked?<

Yup.

All that is open at this time is the FLEXI fare of 127E pp.

If you want discount tickets you have to start at least 60 days in advance.

Jun 21st, 2010, 10:16 AM

The GO fare is still available for the 6 couchette which is a bit cheaper than full fare (228€).

GO
Limited-availability ticket that can be bought only for the Italy-France services served by Artesia trains. Can be bought up until 10 days before train departure on the day trains in 1st and 2nd class; on night trains, it can be bought until 14 days before train's departure for overnight travel accommodation in 6- or 4-place couchettes and 45 days before train's departure for overnight travel accommodation for double Wagon Lits and T3 accommodation solutions.

The MOOVE fare is also available for 6 place couchettes (165€ for 3 in 2nd cl).

MOOVE
Limited-availability ticket that can be bought only for the Italy-France services served by Artesia trains. On the day trains it can be bought for both first and second class. On night trains it can be bought for overnight travel accommodation in 4- or 6-place couchettes. Can be bought until 30 days before train's departure.
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:29 AM

It can also mean what Charnees said because Trenitalia doesn't accept US cards. It does accept them at the station. Be careful of RailEurope and the postage they charge. Sometimes it's waived and other times it isn't. You are better off purchasing them at the station.
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate everyone's input.
When I click on link below:
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...3f16f90aRCRD#3

By Euronight ARTESIA departing every might from Rome, Florence, Bologna, Venice and Milan to Parigi Bercy:
it mentions a fare of 35 Euro for couchette in 6-place compartment and 60 Euro for couchette in 4-place compartment. It also says "the offer is subject to availability and has limited seats and that tickets can be bought up to 30 days before departure, but they are neither changeable nor refundable.

So I guess I should have booked earlier to get this fare.

Kybourbon, the explanation for GO and MOOVE fares is very helpful. If I switch to first class, it still gives a GO fare of 228 Euros for 3 pax for 6 place couchettes. Does that sound right?

Are 6 place couchettes comfortable?
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:18 AM

>>>Kybourbon, the explanation for GO and MOOVE fares is very helpful. If I switch to first class, it still gives a GO fare of 228 Euros for 3 pax for 6 place couchettes. Does that sound right?<<<

Some special fares are for 1st or 2nd class until sold out while others are 2nd class only. I don't think there is a 1st and 2nd cl for 6 place couchettes. If you notice, the flexi price (full fare) is the same whether you select 1st or 2nd also so would assume there really isn't a 1st or 2nd cl in these couchettes.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:37 AM

All couchettes are the same size. The only difference is in how many bunks are pulled down. Unless every occupant is packing light, it can feel a bit crowded with six people.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:03 AM
ira

Hi ooh,

>Are 6 place couchettes comfortable?<

Only if you like narrow beds that fold out from the wall and are stacked 3 high.

You can fly from Venice VCE to Paris CDG for about 65E pp.
See www.whichbudget.com

Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:20 AM

Ira is right. You can fly Easy Jet Venice (VCE) to Paris Orly for 50€ on your date(+11€ to check a bag).
Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

We were kind of looking forward to the train travel. Also, since it is a night train we would get a whole day in Paris before flying out from CDG the next day. I therefore decided to give the Trenitalia site a try and was actually able to go all the way and put in my credit card info. Unfortunately, my card was rejected. No surprises there but there was that slim hope that I would be one among the 20% from the U.S. whose card is accepted. (I am usually pretty lucky).
I was aware of the cheap fare on Easyjet. We are flying Easyjet from Paris to Naples but I figured if we traveled by train back to Paris, I would not have to worry so much about the weight of the bags etc. I do want to do a little shopping in Italy.
Thank you, Ira and Kybourbon for pricing the flight for me. I have asked the people from whom we have rented the apartment in Rome if they would be willing to book our train tickets. Otherwise, it will have to be Easyjet. Will let you know...
Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:38 AM

I have taken these Artesia overnight trains several times - in both 4- and 6-person couchettes and IMO the 4-person couchettes are infinitely nicer - same room size but only four bodies and their luggage in it - and the bed are obviously farther apart when stacked.

I'd pay more for a 4-person compartment than a 6.
Jun 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Much too expensive to pay full fare.
Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:35 PM

Do you have American Express?
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

No, I do not. Why?
Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM

I've heard you can have the AmEx office in Rome or Milan book your tickets if you have AmEx and then pick them up when you arrive. I haven't done it, but I do have AmEx and might try it to get the discount tickets for my trip the end of August.
Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Will any AmEx card work? Green, Gold etc. also airline AmEx cards?
Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Will a Gold Delta Skymiles AmEx credit card work?
Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM

Perhaps. E-mail them and ask. Here's the contact info for the Rome office.
http://www.amextravelresources.com/offices/79

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO