Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help - trains in and around Cologne and Dusseldorf

Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate the time and effort anyone takes to read and answer my questions.

I will be staying at Hotel Skada Köln (Solinger Str.) and I need to figure out how to get to Dusseldorf Main Station. What train do I take? Where do I get it and will I need to switch trains?

How would I get to Cologne Main Station?

I want to travel around this area and see all the sights during the week i am there. Should I purchase some sort of transportation pass instead of individual tickets?

I am having great difficulty figuring out the train system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 10:41 AM

You should buy a regional (Lander) pass from any train station in the area - allows travel on all regional trains and buses, urban transports like S-Bahns and U-Bahns (metros) and all for a bargain price of 29 euro or less for up to five people (i think)

And for what train to take simply go to the www.bahn.de or German Railways web site that is very easy IME to use - it will tell you even IME if you put in the hotel address what tram (strassenbahn) or bus to take to the nearest train station with trains to where you want to go - it may not always be the main (Hauptbhanhof or Hbf) station as Cologne and Dusseldorf have many S-Bahn stations that feed into the main station. A good way to access the English language section of the Wunderbar www.bahn.de site IME is to go to the home page www.budgeteuropetravel.com and click on the link "The best online railway timetable" (or some such wording) and up comes the English schedule page with two boxes From: And To: - put a date in and you'll get all the trains going anywher in Germany (Europe in fact) - I like to reference this home page link because it also gives you several useful tips on using bahn.de that may not be apparent at first encounter. But to say that in that area with one of the world's densest rail systems you will have zillions of trains going everywhere so you just need to know the overall pattern and not exact schedules.

and as i luv to say to quote a phrase i have seen on train station billboards "Have a Gute Fahrt" good journey I think but it always cracks me up!
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM

How would I get to Cologne Main Station?
I assume you will be visiting the Dom. When you are standing in front of it look to your left and you'll see the train station. Get a map?
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:51 AM

If bought from a station ticket machine, the Nordrhein-Westfalen (North Rhine-Westphalia) ticket to which PalenQ referred costs 25 EUR for one person and 34 EUR for 2-5 people traveling together. The tickets are 2 EUR more if bought at a station window. See here: http://tinyurl.com/26cyofd.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

spaarne, I meant what trian would I take from my hotel (Hotel Skada) to get to the main station in Cologne?
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 11:53 AM

As stated, the ticket will be good on regional trains between Cologne and Dusseldorf. It will not be good on either IC or ICE trains on that route.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 12:02 PM

From your hotel you take the S-bahn to the main station.
You may actually be able to take the train to Düsseldorf from Köln Deutz rather than going into the city.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Though regional trains may stop several times at S-Bahn stations between Cologne and Dusseldorf since the distance ain't far they were only be a bit slower - but do take care to stay off trains TimS the pass is not valid on or you would be considered to be riding without a valid ticket and face a fine on top of paying for the ticket. Trains are clearly marked on the overhead monniker on platforms as to the type they are - Regionalzug, ICE, IC, etc
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

I will be in Germany for 6-7 days and would like to have the freedom to ride the trains and other public transportation as much as I like without having to keep buying different tickets. I will be traveling in and around Cologne, Dusseldorf and within a 2-3 radius from those cities.

I would greatly appriociate any recommendations for a particular pass, or any other advice.

This is my first trip to Germany (Europe) and I have no experience with trains.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM

day4night - the only pass to my knowledge that allows that is the German Railpass, which starts at 3 calendar days of totally unlimited travel - to just hop on any train anytime (save a very few you are not likely to come in contact with) - I have used passes for decades in Geramny and sure do appreciate just showing up at the station and hopping any old train. Check out these sites for info on and to learn lots about German trains and passes: www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and also www.bahn.de like i said above will give you not only schedules but prices for regular fully flexible hop on hop off tickets.

If you were talking about '2-3 hour radius' (you just said 2-3 radius) then yes the German Pass can be a great deal for flully at will travel as you can see on bahn.de - and with the German pass the more days you buy on the pass the cheaper per day the pass becomes - extra days above the base 3 (perhaps 4?) are only about $20 a day or 15 euros or so a day - incredibly cheap for fully flexible travel and even cheaper for a solo traveler than the Lander ticket (regional ticket).
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:18 PM

3 days $189
4 $205
5 $219
6 $243
7 $266
8 $291
9 $313
10 $336

current prices for the Germany Railpass, which allows fully flexible travel on practically any train in Germany - so at the base 3 days (in a one month period - a flexipass - use days consecutively if want or non consecutively - 3 days at an avg of $63/day (Twin Pass p.p. - single pass add about 20%) or about 40 euros a day - hop any train

4 days $205 or about $50/day or about 35 euros

5 days about $44/day or about 30 euros a day

the more days on the pass the cheaper they become

compare prices at www.bahn.de once you decide on your rail trips and see which is best - and yes the convenience of the pass - no trips to ticket windows or ticketing machines.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ - thank you so much for all the info. This is very helpful and much appreciated.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM

day4night - I have done just what you seem to want to do - use a base and take day trips by rail most days - now for basing in the Cologne-Dusseldorf area here are some day trips by rail that can easily be done:

Munster - sweet old town with a famous Munster, or church

The Rhine Gorge (Rudesheim to Koblenz) even in off-season K-D boats ply the famous Rhine Gorge (Lorelei) once a day - www.k-d.com for schedules and railpasses are valid 100% on these boats - just hop on

Cochem, on the Mosel -want to see a gem of a German and Mosel Valley wine town - dreamy Cochem has the castle of your dreams poking right up from it on a hill carpets with vineyard

Burg Eltz - one of Germany's most famous castle - can easily be done with a day trip to Cochem (Moselkern train station then few-mile hike up thru the woods or mini-bus or taxi

Frankfurt - ride Germany's fastest train in one hour to Frankfurt - blowing along at about 200 mph, taking just one hour - great Christmas in Nov and Dec and great museums

Heidelberg - cjhange in Frankfurt to nearby Heidelberg - one of the few German towns not decimated in WW2 - a university town and having one of the most famous castles in Germany hovering high above it

Marburg - anothe lively university city and another great church and castle on a hill brooding over town

Wurzburg - about an hour from Frankfurt - another of Germany's sweetest old-looking towns - loads of monumental buildings - vienyards around town, etc.

So if envisioning this type of train travel the German Railpass IMO is a no brainer.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 08:23 AM

And of coure the pass comes in first class too and is not all that much more expensive than 2nd class.

In decades of riding German trains I can attest to their being a significant difference between 1st and 2nd class - for one you always find empty seats in first class IME - I usually have an empty neat next to me to put my bags on and I can get a window seat - a seat with a table or for a couple seats facing each other with a table - plus fewer seats in the train car and larger seats. Also in Germany the conductor acts as a waiter and will be drinks and light snacks right to you seat from the cafe car (not free but no fee for the service) - anyway for the most leisurely trip - 2nd class is good but first class much gooder IME - second class can always be really crowded - not always but can be SRO at times - rare if ever in first class.