travelling from nuremberg airport to ansbach germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please help , i am travelling to nuremberg airport then i have to find my way to ansbach germany , i have never used trains before , i have looked on the trains in germany but find it confusing ,can someone help what i do once i arrive in nuremberg , is the train station far also . thanks
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 12:17 AM

Hi, welcome to Fodor's.

Just one piece of info ahead: You tagged your posting here as a "trip report" (you see the little book-like icon in front of your headline?). That means that other readers will expect a vacation report, but not a question. So you might not get much feedback.

Back to your question:

Nürnberg airport to Ansbach is easy.

At the airport, you look for the desk of the local transit authority VGN. Buy your ticket there.
If you have problems to locate it, follow signs for "U" (= underground/subway) to the subway station. You can get a ticket from the machine there as well.
Here's a short guide:
http://www.vgn.de/CFF6BA75-C0B4-11D7...E0C?Edition=en
If you are traveling on your own, and just need a single ride to Ansbach, select fare zone "9" at the vending machine. The price to pay should be € 8.30. This ticket will cover your whole trip, from the airport to Ansbach.

You take the subway to Nürnberg main station, and connect there to the regional train with final destination Ansbach.
There is at least one train/hour leaving Nürnberg main station at 10 minutes to the hour. Regional trains are abbreviated as R, RB, or RE in train station icons and displays.

There are often other trains in between that you can also take, but that depends on time.
If you just missed one train by a few minutes, inquire at the info desk in the station for trains towards Ansbach that you may take with your ticket.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

thankyou , i live in in the channel islands so trains we dont have and usually its fly and taxi to hotel ,
i will print this and take it with me , i am usually not very good with trains so i will be travelling on my own return trip to ansbach to visit a friend , thanks. american ???
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 03:59 PM

I am sure Cowboy - with his excellent advise meant to give you this website for the train schedule: www.bahn.de. For the English version, "follow the flag".

Enter Nuernberg Hbf (main station) and Ansbach Bahnhof (station). Since Ansbach is a place where the tracks from Nuernberg and Wuerzburg to the south join, there are many choices for you. As Cowboy advised, stick with Regio (R) trains. It's not a great distance.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 09:41 PM

Actually, I'd refrain from using the website of German Rail bahn.de

OP will travel exclusively within VGN, the Nürnberg region transport authority area.
bahn.de does not give you any fare information and also lists trains that you are not allowed to use with a regional transport ticket (like InterCity/IC trains).

The proper website would be (in English)
http://www.vgn.de/CFF6B06F-C0B4-11D7-AE44-00034709FE0C

If you do a dummy search now, you will find a bus as a replacement service for the Nuremberg main station-Ansbach leg. But in September you will have regular train service again (assuming that OP does not leave for Ansbach tomorrow).
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM

On second thought, I agree with you. I'm so used to going through Ansbach on the Wuerzburg - Munich run, that I had a kneejerk reaction.