Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help... short day Rome... After Vatican?

Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for helping! Cruise stop... 1 day in Rome... I know... ugh! I've been trying to research the boards as much as possible... but need my thoughts fine tuned!

We want to make the best of our day... not go crazy... but see what we can at an enjoyable pace... we've never been before and HOPE to go back some day.

Our top priority is Vatican/Sistine Chapel/St. Peters.... brief as possible... planning 10am reservation to be out by noon. I know we will miss tons of stuff... but with kids... they'll be good with that. (any suggestions here for not to be missed is welcomed too)

One daugher has put in to see the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain... thanks to movies. I would like for them to see the Colosseum... if only driving by. Would love to stop with a photo opportunity at each.

They also want to do low budget type shopping (please suggest area!) and eat pasta for lunch.... and of course, gelato.

How would you schedule this?

What about lunch... near Vatican or near start of other touring area?

I have a rate for $60/hour to drive us around after lunch... is that a good deal or idea?

If we happen to get to the Vatican area before 10am... what would you suggest to do with our time?

I would like to be at train station around 4pm for the trip back to the port... but would appreciate any help on what train station based on your thoughts for our itinerary.

Sorry if this is too many questions and thoughts... but I know y'all are a smart bunch!
ALL thoughts are appreciated!!!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Leonhouses! My brief search indicates that "Franchi" is a wonderful choice... but does it have seating? I'm thinking after all the walking by lunch time we will want to sit.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM

FYI - leonhouses has been advertising on threads which is not allowed and his posts are being removed.

Are you training from Civitavecchia to Roma S. Pietro station? If so, it's a bit of a trek to the other side of Vatican City to the museum entrance. The train station is on the opposite side from the museum entrance. Do you plan to visit St. Peter's after the museum? If so, before your reservation or after?

If visiting the museum last (it will likely take a minimum of two hours to get from entrance to Sistine Chapel depending on crowds), I would head to the metro which is located on that side of Vatican City. Go to either Cipro or Ottaviano metro stop as both are about the same distance from the museum entrance. It's just a couple of stops from there to the Spanish Steps. After viewing the steps, you could metro on to the Colosseum which involves a metro change at Termini (the main train station in Rome). From the Colosseum, metro back to Termini for your train back to Civitavecchia. You can view metro maps on ATAC.
http://www.atac.roma.it/
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

kybourbon, thanks for offering to help!!! I'm trying to sort out your advice.

From my research:
1. I was planning on Civitavecchia to Pietro station... now after my further study... I see somewhat where it is located. I actually thought I was getting off at the metro stop for "Ottaviano S. Petro"... so thanks for helping me see that better. Do you think I should get a cab to the Vatican entrance? How much do you think that would cost? (we need to be concerned about budget... but not to the extent of so much time walking... missing sites in the long run! we just didn't want to spend 500E from the ship!)

2. and I was planning on doing St. Peter's after Sistine Chapel... hopefully with the shortcut I've read on the boards. But, it sounds like maybe you are suggesting we do St. Peter's before Vatican? Because if we march straight through the Vatican museum to get to the Sistine Chapel that alone takes 2 hours? because crowd traffic. I'm guessing as we are stopped or slow walking, there are items to look at? guess I need more research here too!

Then with crowd traffic, how long would you say to see Sistine chapel?

Then how long to see "quickly" St. Peter's? I know it's different for all peoople... but I'll have kids that 1 glimpse will be enough... and I'll fight for a little longer! So I know we will not be there long enough to do it properly... but I just want to see it with my own eyes! I'll give up all museum time for some time at the Sistine Chapel even if it's ever so quick!

3. Then you say metro to Spanish Steps, metro to Colosseum after changing lines in Termini... then back to termini to train to port. I guess I need to find train departure time too.

Thanks for helping me... and for answering my additional questions too!
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM

Once you enter the museum you are on a path towards the Sistine Chapel (which is part of the museum). It will depend on the crowds, but count on at least an hour to get from the entrance to the chapel. The chapel itself isn't that big so it just depends on how long you can (or want to) crane your neck to look at the ceiling. If you take the group exit you will bypass security to St. Peter's. After St. Peter's, you can exit the Piazza to the left (with your back to St. Peter's) and follow the crowds towards the Ottaviano metro (line A) stop. Take the metro in the direction of Anagnina (3 stops to Spagna). You can walk to the Trevi from there or hop back on the metro one more stop (direction Anagnina) to Barberini/Fontana di Trevi stop. You will still have a bit of walk to the fountain. After, back to the metro Anagnina direction to 2 stops to Termini where you need to change lines (line B direction Laurentina) 2 stops to Colosseum. When you are finished at the forum/Colosseum, you can either head back to Termini (direction Rebibbia) to catch your train or take the metro (direction Laurentina) to catch it at Ostiense(direction Laurentina). The metro stop for this train station will be Piramide. Ostiense/Piramide is one area.
http://www.atac.roma.it/docunet/file.asp?mid=3&rid=385

To get your bearings, you can use google maps to locate the S. Pietro station and see some street views. It is on the side of Vatican City towards Trastevere. The Ottaviano metro is on the far side of Vatican City. You can also use mappy.com or via michelin.com and select their pedestrian feature and get walking directions. It will estimate walking time. I would do this from the Spanish Steps or Barberini to the Trevi also.

This link shows a map of Vatican City. The red arrow points to the museum entrance. The S. Pietro station is not shown, but would be at the bottom of the map just out of view.
http://www.saintpetersbasilica.org/P...n-area-map.jpg

This isn't an official website, but has some great info about St. Peter's/Vatican City, along with various maps.
http://www.saintpetersbasilica.org/

Metro tickets are 1€, but I think you should consider buying day passes (4€) so you don't have to worry about tickets the rest of the day. They are good for buses/trams too. The ticket will validate the first time you feed it into the turnstyle, but you are still supposed to write the date on the back. Watch your belongings on the metro. Hands on wallets/purse/kids. Try not to stand near doors as pickpockets know when the train is stopping and grab and run.

For train schedules, use:

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

Enter a date within the next week or so. Schedules don't change much, but try to pick the day of week you will be traveling as Sunday's/holidays will have a different schedule
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM

First - there is no way you can see the Vatican and St Peter's in 2 hours - unless you're actually running - at a walk it's simply not doable. After that you don;t need a driver - you just need to grab a cab from one place to another.

You can easily see Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain in less than an hour.

There is no point in seeing the Colosseum from the outside. Cut back on lunch - grab a quick slice somewhere - and then go see part of the Forum.

Forget shopping for junk - or else forget sightseeing. With the time allowed by a cruise you can do one or another - not both.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM

Are you sure you have to see the Vatican and its museums? I have a personal bias against it, but even if I didn't, it wouldn't be what I'd want to see with only one day in Rome. I'd lean toward seeing the Colloseum, the Forum, the Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps with a bit of shopping and downtime in between.

The Vatican can take hours. It's all about power and wealth, and they've got no end of things to show off.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM

I did a similar trip last summer. Cruise with one day in Rome. We didn't end up getting to the city because of traffic (first week in July) and the timing of our bus from the cruise line until (10:30am). We were dropped off near the Vatican (took pictures outside but did not want to waste the day waiting in line so we quickly hopped on another bus over to the Spanish steps. Then headed to trevi, pantheon, and then piazza navona for a quick pizza margarehtia late lunch and then to started making our way to the ruins and colosseum area. By the time we got to perimeter of the colosseum my sister and I ran to take a picture and touch the wall and then we had 45 minutes to walk in 100+ F heat back to the vatican where the bus was taking us back to port at 4pm. It ended up being a super long walk and we made it with 5 minutes to spare to pick up one last gelato. Overall it was a very fast passed day so be sure you rest up, hydrate, and hope you can go back in the future and spend more time.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kybourbon! I will be studying!!! The links are going to be soooo helpful! I really appreciate all the details! It's sure to make our day!

Nytraveler, thanks for you thoughts too... how much do you think a cab will cost between those spots? just rough estimate.

StCirq, I'm not sure about the Vatican museums... but really want to see the Sistine Chapel for some reason. Thanks for your thoughts.

jackers, thanks for your past experience! That's another reason we decide to do the trains... fear of city traffic. Sounds like you had an amazing tour under the circumstances! I'm afraid we can't keep up to your pace... but guess we'll need to try!

Thanks again for all your thoughts!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM

We have one day in port also. Train is the best way to go and you have the train link. I would encourage you to get the Colleseum ticket ahead of time so you don't have to wait in line. Unlike the Vatican tickets, these are valid for anytime in the day. Also, the one ticket gets you into the Colleseum, the Roman Forum and the Palentine Museum. This way you can take an hour and at least get a better fly by than the taxi.
http://www.ticketclic.it/gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm