Vatican Museum entrance in relation to the train station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope someone can answer this, trying searching but didn't find what I was looking for. I also tried looking it up on a map but couldn't figure it out

We will be on a cruise and taking the train in from Civitavecchia to the San Pietro stop. We want to go into the vatican museums first. What is the easiest route from the train station. Don't want to go into the square and then have to walk all the way around, is there an easier way? Is it walkable or do we need to take a taxi or bus from the train station?

I know that there is an exit from after the Sistine Chapel that puts you right at the Basilica without walking all the way around outside. Can anyone give more information on exactly where this exit is? I have heard it is not marked as an exit.

TIA
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 04:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I recall the San Pietro stop IS on the other side of St. Peter's and the museum entrances. You may not have a lot of reasonable choice here but am sure one of the experts will soon cdhime in.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 04:59 AM

Dukey is right. The No. 64 bus will take you to the Porta Cavalleggeri stop near St. Peter's Square, which you will have to cross before following the wall around to the entrance on Viale Vaticano.

According to recent reports, the "tour group" exit from the Sistine Chapel to St. Peter's Basilica is now being carefully monitored and only tour-group members are being allowed to use it.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - does anyone know a closer train stop. Tried looking at the map again, found one that is more detailed and it looks like Cipro or Ottaviano seems closer to the Museum area. Any opinions on either of these stations. I know that sometimes on a map distance is not what it always seems
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 05:09 AM

Cipro and Ottaviano are Metro (subway) stations, not train stations. Besides, Cipro, the closer one, is also around 10 minutes on foot to the entrance.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 05:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you might want to just hoof it from San Pietro...when you come out of the station and around a corner the St. Peter's dome rises up more or less in front of you.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 06:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can switch to the FR3 train at the St. Pietro station. Trains depart every 15 minutes. Go one stop (2 minutes)and get off at Valle Aurelia (cost .90€). You can probably buy your metro ticket when you buy the Valle Aurelia ticket. Get on the metro direction Anagnina and get off at the first stop (Cipro). I don't think it will save a lot of time, but might save some walking.

http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 07:14 AM

ga-- CIPRO is one the newest stations in the Rome Metro system and about a 10 minute walk to the Vatican Museums. I was on a cruise last year and I just continued on to Termini and transferred to Metro Line A Direction Battistini and got off at Cipro (7 stops; goes fast!). Very easy walk from there that takes you right to the Door of the Vatican Museums. The transfer was much easier, straightforward, kept the walk to a minimum, and I came out on the "same side" as the Vatican Museums avoiding the walk around the walls. For an idea of walking route Cipro-Vatican Museums just use Google Earth Street View; this cannot be easier. On your return you could go to St. Pietro to return to Civitavecchia.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 08:13 AM

When I was in Termini a few months ago, the metro area was under construction. It was quite a trek changing metro lines as there were detours.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 08:28 AM

The advice is not to change Metro Lines but to take the RER all the way to Termini and then get on Metro A direction Battistini. There are about 6-8 access ways to this Metro line. It could not be more straightforward. Been there, done that.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM

The RER is in Paris; from Civitavecchia to Rome, it's the FR5.

This video shows the current situation at Roma Termini; it will not improve by much before the end of 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEFslBfrzcs
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Viajero2 - Termini underground where you get on the metro is in the midst of constuction. If you haven't been there since construction started, it's a mess with much detouring and very long roundabout walks underground to get on the metro. I don't think you would save any time by going all the way to Termini to change to the subway. In fact, I think it would take quite a bit longer. Termini is 25 minutes train time beyond the S. Pietro stop. The OP can book their original train ticket from Civitavecchia all the way to Valle Aurelia for 4.10€. Travel time is 53 minutes total (Civitavecchia/S Pietro 43 minues, S Pietro/Valle Aurelia 2 minutes + 8 minutes transfer time). The metro Valle Aurelia to Cipro (one stop away) is much less crowded than from Termini to Cipro (7 stops away).
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 03:50 AM

Sorry-- Kybourbon I recommended it because I'd been there, done that recently. Wish I could say you are absolutely right, but you are not.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 05:11 AM

Sorry Viajero, but I guess all the construction was not underway back when you took your cruise which seems to have been May 2010. Perhaps you've also never been the other route before or on the subway between Cipro/Valle Aurelia to know how much faster it is than Termini/Cipro.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 07:00 AM

Kybourbon, the Rome-Viterbo train goes *once an hour*. Unless the OP is very lucky making a connection at Roma San Pietro, s/he'd be much better off just taking the No. 64 bus and walking. I agree that connecting to the Metro at Termini is also a waste of time.