Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help! Nice, Marseille in late March? Weather?

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, you must think I'm nuts. Asking about hotels in Nice, earlier asking about Venice. The point is, we are not certain what to do. We can't afford to travel often and have not done so in Europe (except me, for business) in years. So. This is the thing. My husband would really like to go to Nice, Marseilles, and southern Provence (e.g. Aix) and drive along the coast toward and past Monaco. We could get a lot more time for our dollar if we went earlier, in later March/early April. I'm torn between a shorter trip later (late April, before Cannes) or a longer trip earlier in the late part of March.

What do you all think? What would you do? Later but short? (six days) or earlier and longer (14 days)?

I appreciate all the suggestion for hotels and interesting stops. I'm looking forward to putting this together. Thank ou.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 12:17 AM
Eze

If you plan to visit the area between Aix (u can forget Marseilles) to the italian border (past Monaco), you should consider the longer trip in teh late part of March where we are used to having a better weather without too much rain.
Late April, would be warmer but risks of rain.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 02:31 AM

We did a nine-day trip to Nice in January with eight days of sunshine, so I'd definitely go for the longer trip in March. The coastal roads are beautiful, Cannes to San Remo anyway. The best views? Ezes.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in Nice in early April two years ago and had a great time (click on my name for my TR). I'm going back in mid-March this year.

Very good public transport there - buses and trains - you can save still more money by not renting a car.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 07:16 AM

I have been in Nice in early April for years. The weather has always been great. The temps are usually low 60's for the highs. The last two years I remember that I had no rainy days at all. Doesn't mean it won't happen this April. I'm used to East Texas weather. We may have snow one day and the very next days-highs in the 60's with sunshine.