two 22 year old unexpirienced girls to travel Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would anyone suggest what to look for and how to plan a trip , they want to go to Italy and maybe Spain... for a month
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 10:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Are they on a low budget? If so, the Thorntree Forum on Lonely Planet has mostly that age travelers. They should also check Reids Guides and Let's Go.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa
http://www.letsgo.com/1-europe-travel-guides-d
http://www.reidsguides.com/
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

not really low, but i . as a parent, worry
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Don't worry, Mom. At 22 they are young women, not girls. They will be fine.

Have them start their own thread, and we will be more than happy to help them plan a safe and enjoyable trip within their budget. You can, of course, join in so you can be reassured as the planning progresses.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Check out the various Youth Railpasses available to anyone undr 26 - multi-country passes, single country passes, etc. Europea is not that big geographically and once in Italy Switzerland and France are right next door and there is an overnight boat going to Spain, etc. For lots of great info on European trains and passes and planning a railpass trip check out these IMO fantastic sites: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. And yes like bourbon suggests get a copy of Let's Go Europe, a guidebook oriented for folks your age and which IMO contains a wealth of info, especially great on listing and critiquing zillions of budget accommodations.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Do they want to spend a month in each country or is this only one month? You can rent apartments, but most want a week rental (some will do three days). They need to decide which cities interest them and then ask for specific help. There are budget flights between Italy and Spain along with overnight ferries and overnight trains.

They are two years older than my daughter was when she lived in Madrid for six months attending two colleges in different parts of the city. I think they will survive.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

they still at the stage of deciding where to stay in Italy or in Spain so everything would be close and safe
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 10:46 AM

I would be far more concerned about them traveling around the USA, frankly. What is their budget? Do they speak any European languages? What are their interests? Do they want to concentrate on cities or countryside or a bit of both? You/they need to provide a lot more information before anyone can jump in with worthwhile suggestions.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

They speak english, russian, some french...... they want to stick around Larger cities, although wanted to visit Amalfe coast as well..
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 12:01 PM

no don not worry about their safety - on trains too - zillions of folks from all over the world traveling around like them - they may well meet others and travel together - youth hostels and youth hotels are great meeting places - places mentioned in Let's Go Europe for instance. Keep their itinerary flexible in this case. But unless they are totally naive and foolish there is probably more danger to them on their college comapuses than traveling around Europe.
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 12:01 PM

no don not worry about their safety - on trains too - zillions of folks from all over the world traveling around like them - they may well meet others and travel together - youth hostels and youth hotels are great meeting places - places mentioned in Let's Go Europe for instance. Keep their itinerary flexible in this case. But unless they are totally naive and foolish there is probably more danger to them on their college comapuses than traveling around Europe.
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 12:18 PM

Never thought I'd say it, but PalenQ has it spot on . I first backpacked round Europe on my own at the age of 19 and have never looked back. I can honestly say I never felt "unsafe" and met loads of like-minded young people doing the same thing, staying in youth hostels or sleeping on trains, hanging out in piazzas and eating in cheap but friendly bars and cafes. Whatever happens, it's arguably a lot safer than touring the USA.
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Get them guidebooks for both countries. Have them read and write down an idea of what places interest them and why

Then...

Define how they will spend the time...2 weeks in spain, 2 in Italy?
Define if they want to do cities only or countryside or both
Define if want to rent a car or not
Define budget
Define interests...museums, food, history, beaches,etc.
Define lodging needs...hotel, hostel...
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM
ira

>two 22 year old unexpirienced girls to travel Europe<

"Haw, haw, haw and oh, la la", he said twirling his black mustache.

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 02:47 PM
ira

Seriously, MG, they will be more safe than traveling around the US.

I suggest staying in Italy for the first trip.

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 03:53 PM

My guess is that 2 22 year old women are more internet savvy than their elders and can plan a trip easily if supported to do so!
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Have them put up a map on the wall with their target countries and put post-its on the places they want to go to. Then as they trim the trip down they can take those post-its off. This will give them a good sense of how things relate to each other geographically.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 08:16 AM

the flexibility of itinerary is a key - like Gordon R says and I said you will most likely meet folk who want to travel with - and this is one reason I think that the Eurail Global Youthpass - a flexipass for 10 or 15 days is something to think about - carte blanche to go anywhere in Europe except the U.K. and they can alter their course as they go along - let's see met some nice folks going to Prague - OK let's hop on the train with them.....