Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY TRIP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:25 AM
BEN

I actually didn't know how to title this. I am planning a trip to Paris including a river cruise. I have a few questions, please help?<BR>When I arrive in CDG is there bus transportation into the city? Cost? Will the TGV take me to Dijon? Where is station and cost? How long is the trip? Disembark in Lyon and need to return to Paris. Is there a TGV back to Paris, cost and lenght of trip? Do I get my metro passes and musseum passes in the US or wait til I get to Paris? Im rather new at travel and really need some advise. I appreciate any and all help. Thank you<BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Donna

Hi, Ben! Let me say first of all that you will love Paris. I made my first (and deinitely note last) trip back in June '01 and I'd be happy to help with a few of your questions. When you arrive at CDG, there are several ways to get into the city. You can take a cab, which is very easy. They are parked all over the place. It may be a bit pricier than other methods, but it is very convenient and direct. If I remember correctly the cab ride to my hotel was about $40 U.S. Dollars, plus a charge for each piece of luggage. Ask the drive upfront what the charge for the luggage will be. Check with your airline to see if they have a shuttle (most airlines do). If you choose that method, I believe you will need to reserve it in advance. Remember, though, that there will be other passengers. I don't know about taking a public bus. There is a website that will give you the schedules, destinations and prices of the TGV routes -- SCNF.com. Metro and museum passes -- No need to purchase in the U.S. They can be purchased at any Metro station in Paris and they are all over. When you get to your hotel, pick up a Metro map. It's very useful. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Lori

Ben,<BR>Repost and give some info in your heading as to what kind of trip you want info on, i.e. "TGV Paris-Dijon-How Long?", Etc.<BR><BR>There are dozens of Paris threads on this forum, I've visited Paris dozens of times, but it is hard to give info to someone who is vague with postings. You need to do some searchs and then ask specific questions with clear titles. That said we buy Metro passes in Paris (get a carnet). We do not bother with museum passes since we've visited a lot, but some people swear by them. It's a personal choice.<BR><BR>There are several companies that do Seine river cruises, all are about the same. I'd avoid dinner cruises tho, it's not worth it. <BR><BR>There are a couple of ways to get into Paris from CDG, it's probably the #1 disucssed thing on this Forum. Personally I prefer a cab, but there is also the Shuttle (van service, you make a reservation, they pick you up at the terminal but others share the van so you may/may not be first one out). You can also take the RER train, but I do not recommend (ever) public transportation when people have jet lag and luggage. The two do not mix.<BR><BR>Give some thought to your actual questions and post them accordingly.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Lori

I've never heard of airlines having shuttle buses in Paris .. there is (was??) an Air France bus you could get that made two stops in Paris but you would then need a cab to get to your hotel. I avoid all kinds of hauling luggage in/out of buses, trains, etc. if possible! Go for a cab. It is generally between $35-$45 (plsu tip) depending on where your hotel is.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:00 AM
BEN

Okay, Lori this is what I need to know Where do I find the TGV schedules? Tried Donnas site SCNF.com and it was no info on TGV. Donna, thank you for your response at least you didn't chastize me like Lori did. Remember I said I was new at this.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:30 AM
elaine

I haven't checked it lately but I had this url for tgv trains<BR>http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/tgv<BR>/tgvindex.html <BR><BR>Regarding CDG airport:<BR>For diagram, look at <BR>www.paris-airports.com <BR> or www.adp.fr <BR>public transportation info www.ratp.fr<BR>also, www.cityorganiser.co.uk, click on Paris, then on airports<BR><BR>Roissybus: Stops in Paris at the Opera Garnier, rue Scribe, in front of the American Express office.. Takes about 45 minutes. From Roissy-CDG: 6am-11pm. Buy tickets on board. The bus stops at the following airport terminals : A&eacute;rogare 2 (Terminal 2) A&eacute;rogare T9 (Terminal T9) From Opera, you can take the metro or a taxi to your final destination in Paris.<BR>To get to the Roissy Charles de Gaulle or to Paris from that airport you can also use the RER B, which is an express train service. It serves the terminals 1 and 2 (including the TGV train station at the airport) by shuttles from the RER station. In Paris it stops at the Gare du Nord and and Denfert-Rochereau RER/m&eacute;tro stations. Length of trip: 35-45-min. This mode of transportation makes sense only if you don’t have a lot of luggage and you are traveling with two or less. You buy a combined ticket for the metro-RER-Aeroports de Paris shuttle. Runs about every 15 minutes. If you plan to use the RER to return to the airport, buy a round-trip ticket. <BR><BR>Museum pass--buy it in Paris at any small museum, at most metro stations, some hotel front desks even sell them.<BR>You want it to save waiting in line at the Louvre and the Orsay museums. There is absolutely no need to pay extra to buy it in the US. Their website www.intermusees.com has been down for a while, but you can find more info at www.paris.org which is a great website anyway<BR>I have a long file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me<BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:37 AM
elvira

Ben, it appears a little clarification is needed. The TGV is a train, albeit a fast one, that the sncf.com incorporates into its schedules. If you plug in depart Paris arrive Dijon, the resulting schedules will include ALL trains - the TGVs will be noted under details to the right of the proposed schedule.<BR><BR>There are buses from CDG - RoissyBus, AirFrance and even a city bus (don't even consider that one); there are cabs and shuttles; there is the RER. Cabs and shuttles are the recommended ways to go if you have lots of luggage. The buses and RER are fine if you have limited luggage; which of those you choose depends on where you want to be in the city.<BR><BR>Get your museum pass at any metro station, or any museum included in the pass. Unless you are planning to use the metro many times over the course of your stay, it's probably more cost-effective to buy carnets (10 tickets for about the price of 6 1/2).

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Lori

Relax Ben, trust me you were not chastised - you'd have known it if you were, some people on this board can be very blunt. Frequently new people do not post in a manner to receive answers to their questions, and the posts "sink" very quickly down the list.<BR><BR>www.sncf.com gives you the TGV schedules. I just looked myself to be sure it worked OK.