Reload this Page >

Castle Confusion - Trying to decide between Warwick, Leeds, Dover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Susannah

I've made a lot of progress in planning our family trip this summer, thanks for all the help thus far. We're spending 4 days in Paris and then a week in London. On our last weekend of the trip (we leave on a Monday), I had planned to leave London and take a couple days' side trip. My original plan has been do drive to Leed's Castle and spend Saturday there and then go on to a B&B near Dover that is highly recommended by a good friend. Then we would do Dover Castle on Sunday and head back to a B&B near Gatwick where we would spend the night before our flight out Monday morning.<BR><BR>I've read so many glowing reports about Warwick Castle that I'm thinking we should go there. The kids are a 13 year old boy and 15 year old girl and all the activities at Warwick sound like they'd be great fun. The kids are very excited about the trip - everything they read sounds wonderful and they want to do anything and everything. Would we be crazy to drive from London on Saturday morning and spend most of the day at Warwick and then head on to Dover in late afternoon (looks to be about a 3 1/2 hr drive to the B&B). Then on Sunday we would do Dover in the morning and Leed's in the afternoon. We'd probably just do the gardens and maze at Leeds - maybe a quick tour of the inside, then head on to the B&B near Gatwick.<BR><BR>Any suggestions, if this is too ambitious, what to choose between the 3 castles? For reference, we are planning to see Windsor Castle earlier in the week.<BR><BR>Thanks for any help!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Natalie

My husband and I just had a quick discussion about this. You're falling victim to something we have, too--thinking something looks doable on a map and then finding out how horrid UK traffic can be. Doing it all--Warwick, Dover, Leeds--in those few days will probably be too much, and believe me, this comes from whirlwind travelers. Our suggestion--either revise and go north (skipping Dover area) or skip Warwick and concentrate on Kent. We've done both. Warwick is great, especially for kids in that age group. The town and the castle are incredibly fun. Plus, Stratford is just a quick hop away. So you could consider revising your itinerary. If that's not an option because of prior commitments, consider focusing on Kent. Leeds is very beautiful, but without a lot of the extra activities at Warwick--more no frills (yummy restaurant in former barn). We combined our Leeds trip with Canterbury--very fun town and awesome cathedral. Hope this helps. My husband is English and we hauled out the map, so feel free to e-mail me directly. He's looking it over as we speak to see what's what in the east.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Karen

I would definitely go with Warwick, beautiful, interesting, gorgeous gardens.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:18 PM
janis

As Natalie says - you should not try to hit Warwick, Leeds and Dover in the same weekend. In fact that is almost impossible. <BR><BR>The kids will get more out of Warwick - and you will have and easier drive back to Gatwick from Kent. So pick your poison.<BR><BR>You will have to bite the bullet and pick Warwick/Oxford/Blenheim OR Leeds (Still not my favorite Kent Castle but go if you must), Canterbury and Dover. If you choose Kent - I recommend you drop Leeds/Canterbury and go to Hever, Bodium, Walmer and Dover.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Susannah

You're confirming my suspicion that hitting all three castles in one weekend is not a good idea (especially at the end of a trip!). Now we need to decide which route to go. If we do Warwick, I think we'll try to add Hampton Court to one of our other days so that the kids will have an opportunity to do a hedge maze. Here in Indiana we have corn mazes in the fall - I know they'd enjoy the hedge mazes immensely.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Joanne

Having taken my 13 yo son and 15 yo daughter to Warwick (and Cotswolds, Stratford and Oxford) last summer I'd certainly give them another vote here. Several people on other boards have reported that Leeds is overrated. Warwick is an entire experience, not just a stuffy museum setup. Hampton Court Palace is on our list for our next trip!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Keith Legg

From a driving point of view doing all three is not really possible - Warwick is about 2 hours from London, Dover is about 2 hours from Gatwick (I live near Gatwick and have made that trip) so as Janis says it's either Kent or Warwick.<BR><BR>You could do Warwick and Hampton Court, though. The maze at Hampton Court is small but fun (there's also one at Leeds Castle, just to chuck that one in the pan too!) I haven't been to Warwick Castle in about 15 years, so I don't really know what it's like, I'm afraid!<BR><BR>I'd agree with Janis that Leeds Castle isn't really up to much - it's actually pretty small and you really need good weather to properly appreciate the gardens, which isn't always guaranteed. I haven't visited any of the other castles in Kent and I'd like to find out more about them - Janis, which ones would you recommend from a tourist's point of view?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:14 AM
janis

Kieth - you could spend a week in Kent (slipping over to east Sussex once or twice) and see 2 or 3 great places every day. <BR><BR>Scotney is beautiful and has even lovlier gardens than Leeds; Bodium is a picture postcard - the moat, etc; Of course there is Sissinghurst - not a castle but a beautiful house besides the world famous Gardens; Walmer - wonderful house, and amazing gardens. You won't believe the yew hedge; Igtham Mote (probably spelled wrong) an amazing medieval manor house; Knole - the largest private home in the country - even larger than Chatsworth; Hever; Penshurst Place; Chartwell; Groombridge Place - a 17-18th century garden which you must see to believe.<BR><BR>These are only a few of my favorites.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Bill

....what they said. Warwick definitely with kids. I liked Leeds, but we had good weather for the gardens. <BR><BR>We got to Warwick a little later in the day than we should have, so we didn't have as much time to tour as we would have like. We have no kids, but the kid in me really liked Warwick. What was great though, is that, by the time we left, there weren't many people left and I got a few shots across the garden with no people in the shots. That was kind of nice.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Mark

Susannah,<BR><BR>Everyone has their favorites. We went to both Leeds Castle and Warwick Castle, but not as part of a busy weekend. (I don't see how you could do justice trying to do both in such a short time period.) Anyway, our two teenage boys loved both, but there is lots more to do at Warwick Castle. And Warwick is more like what I think of when I think of 'castle', armories, dungeons, etc. If I had to pick, and I think you do, I'd take Warwick first.<BR><BR>safe journeys.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 02:56 AM
Susannah

Thanks so much for all the replies. We're going to drop Leeds and Dover from the plans and go to Warwick instead. The primary reason for Leeds was to see the gardens, do the maze, and see a castle with a moat. I think we'll get plenty of gardens with other sights we have planned and we can add Hampton Court into one of our other days to do a maze. The kids will miss out on the moat, but they'll get over it. I think they would have really enjoyed Dover Castle - I loved walking on the embattlements and looking at the view, but from everything I've heard, Warwick will more than make up for it! Neither my husband nor I have ever been to Warwick, so it will be fun to go somewhere that's totally new to all of us. I've now been doing some reading on other posts for places to stay near Warwick and get to figure out which to chose!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Joanne

You'll be able to climb and walk around and see a view at Warwick. It's a very interactive castle!<BR><BR>When we went to Warwick Castle, it was part of a 2-night trip to Stratford-upon-Avon. We stayed at a B&B called the Victoria Spa Lodge, a half-mile north of town on the canal and about 15 minutes drive to Warwick, which is also north of Stratford (IIRC). We felt like we were in the country, but it was a pleasant walk into Stratford. The B&B has reasonable rates, a huge classic English breakfast (but also yogurt, grapefruit, muesli, etc. for health nuts). We stayed in a "family room" at the top of the house that had a double bed and two twins. They claim that Princess Victoria herself stayed there shortly before becoming queen.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:26 AM
janis

You will all love Warwick - good decision. While in Warwick be sure to walk into the town - the Castle is in the middle of things so it is very easy. There are two cafes/restaurants inside the castle - but there are many more out on the high street as well. <BR><BR>Be sure to visit St Mary's church - a short walk, you can see the church tower from the Castle walls - the Beauchamp chapel has the tombs of the Earls of Warwick and is one of the prettiest chapel in the whole country. Also - if the church tower is still open, the view of the Castle is wonderful.<BR><BR>Also a short walk away is the Lord Leycester Hospital. This is not a hospital but a home for retired military (sort of like Chelsea Hospital but 150 years older) It is really interesting and one of the original city gates is incorporated in the bldg.<BR><BR>As you can see, Warwick will fill a whole day . . . .

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:54 AM
meg

I live near Warwick- my husband regularly takes foreign students to the Castle which they never fail to enjoy. I'd echo Janis' tips about seeing the Beauchamp Chapel in St Mary's and the Lord Leycester Hospital. However, only 5 miles away is Kenilworth which has a very atmospheric ruined castle- well worth seeing!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:55 PM
deena

I vote for Warwick Castle, so wonderful.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Shelley

I have seen and enjoyed all three castles, and, when I returned to England last summer with my sister's family (including a 12 year old boy and 15 year old girl), one of the highlights for all of us was our visit to Warwick. I am sure your kids will enjoy it. Another favorite of the kids was Blenheim Palace outside Oxford, which is within driving distance of the castle. You might consider visiting that as well. Whatever you do, you will have wonderful memories. It's a remarkable country.