Please help me with bases in Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think now with a change in plans, we will have a week to 10 days in Provence. The car will be returned at Avignon and we will take a train to Paris for our last 10 days.

I have read all the posts I think on Provence and every day I change my mind about where to stay.A typical obsessive compulsive...

With that amount of time can someone tell me the best way to see the area...keeping in mind we don't drive at night.

I had thought Arles for 4 nights and then over to Aix for another 4, but now I am not sure if that is the best way ....maybe we should do the last 2 in Avignon since we need to return the car. I think the car return is at the airport..not sure.

I welcome any suggestions. I hope by next year at this time I will be helping someone else..

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Split it up evenly between the Alpilles and the Lubéron.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Hi loisco:

I have stayed in Avignon, Goult, Aix and Vaison-La-Romaine over the past few years. My favorite area by far was our stay this year when we rented a house in the village of Sablet, just a few miles from Vaison and about 30-40 minutes from Avignon. It is right in the centre of the wine region and yet close enough to visit Avigon, Orange, Nimes, AIX, Mount Ventoux.

Regards Ger

regards Ger
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

I hate to sound dumb StCirq..
but not sure what you mean by Alpilles (would that be a town like St. Remy?) Or do you mean stay in that area around Arles?

And I do see the Luberon..with lots of small towns.In fact my friend has a home in Ansouis. Do you mean stay in a small town in the mountain area or is there a specific place?..I am sorry I sound so thick?..
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:15 PM

the alpilles are the mountain chain that runs along the area of les baux, with towns like maussane-les-alpilles.

have you bought the green michelin guide yet? that will answer many questions for you on routes and places to stay.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:01 PM

St Cirq is telling you the same thing I told you in the itinerary I sent you, & the same thing I told you on prior messages I think). Stay in the Alpilles region - either Arles or St Remy - your choice. Both have enough restaurants to keep you fed.

In the Luberon region, stay in Gordes (steep walks, however), or Goult. Goult probably has better restaurants.

If you want to stay in a third place, stay in Vaison - plenty of restaurants. Sablet, like OReilly mentioned, is a cute town in a pretty wine growing region. It's small, and there is not any hotels or restaurants listed in my Michelin guide - so you might not have many hotel or restaurant options.

Don't stay in Aix - it's a little too far removed from the rest of the places you will want to visit. If you stay in the Luberon for 4 days, go there on a day trip via through Lourmarin.

Stay the last night in Arles (or even bette) St Remy, because it's an easy shot to the TGV station where you will be returning the car & I think taking the TGV to Paris.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all...now it's pretty clear. Underhill I do have the Michelin guide but in looking up the areas it wasn't clear to me what the best choices were for a base.

Stu...returning the leased car to Avignon..not Arles.

You are right..have to study your itinerary.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM

I should have made it clearer - I was referring to the TGV station in Avignon. I don't think there is a TGV station in Arles.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
One year we returned the car to the Avignon airport and flew to Paris.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Cig ...we may end up doing that..but I am a big train person. Love them...it's good to know though that we have options.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:02 PM

I asked Stu on another Provence thread but he hasn't answered.
Stu, how is the food at Entraigus?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Hi loisco, we are still on the same wave length about Provence. I might be a step further. We are now staying 3 nights in Arles and 4 in Mazan outside Carpentras. We also are taking train from Paris to Avignon. What are your trip dates? We will be in the south from May 17-24th. My non-planner has become a bit more enthusiastic but I am still the master mind. I rented the car(you mentionned in a previous post that you didn't have to do that!I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada and I think you are in San Diego.Let me know how things are going, I can sympathize.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:25 PM

Don't worry, you two. Things will be ok.
There are really no mistakes on a first trip tp Provence. Even the crowded places like Les Baux should not be missed. Les Apilles are the mountainsSt Remy, Les Baux are in the Alpilles.
Pick up a copy of the Eye Witness travel guide to Provence and the Cote D'Azurit has maps restaurants. tours and what to see in each area.