Reload this Page >

A week in Provence?

Search

A week in Provence?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Sean

A week in Provence?

Help!<BR><BR>My wife and I are considering a 10 day trip to the South of France and have NO idea where to start. We're both big foodies, and enjoy wine (without being overly intellectual about it). Where would any of you Fodorites go, with that in mind? We like small(er) towns and a slower pace- we've done the museum and cathedral tour and just want to relax in the countryside this time. Thanks for all your suggestions!<BR><BR>S

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:28 AM
J T Kirk

<BR><BR>Gordes is a small hill town. Great views from on top. One drawback is that there are only a few good restaurants in that area.<BR><BR>My personal favorite town is St Remy. Very beautiful place, but it maybe a little too hectic for you. But it doesn't seem to get quite as many tourists as does Avignon and Aix. There are some really nice restaurants in St Remy.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:12 AM
NoClue

If you really have absolutely NO clue where to go and what to do, I don't think the odd mention a town her, a restaurant there, a road her, or a hotel there that you will get on a message board is going to help you much.<BR><BR>Go to the bookstore or library and do some basic reading. Get a map and plan a tentative itinarary. Figure out if you want sand and seashore or mountains and streams. If you can come back here with some basic information like that it will be much easier to help you.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Jim

Sean,<BR>I think you would really enjoy the Luberon area of Provence. Stay in any of the towns within it (M&eacute;nerbes,Roussillon,Gordes,Lacoste,Bonnieu x) and you are centrally located for everything you might want to see. St. Remy ia also a good choice. Do a search on these areas for lodging.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Uncle Sam

We were in Provence for 10 days last September:<BR><BR>1. We stayed in Avignon and did day trips to the Luberon etc.<BR><BR>2. Loved Arles, Gordes, Rousillon, Lebaux, Isle Surle Sorge (sp), Orange was nice and Chateauneuf du Pape is a must if you like wine!<BR><BR>3. Food was outstanding....hare with brown sauce, lamb with Provencal herbs and spices and cassoulet...magnificent food...never had a bad meal and we just walked into restaurants off the street.<BR><BR>4. Wine tasting virtually everywhere. Chateauneuf du Pape will take all day as there are so many caves in the little town. Best restaurant is right beside the main fountain. Outstanding food and great views all the way to Avignon from their terrace.<BR><BR>Enjoy!!!<BR><BR>US

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:36 AM
AnotherClue

Agree 100% with No Clue; you gotta do some of it yourself first.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Bev

Two years ago my family and I did a cooking class in the south of France near Grasse. We stayed in Julia Child's former home and cooked in her kitchen. If you are foodies you would love this class. It is six days long and we cooked in the morning, and had mid-afternoon and evenings free. We also visited the market in Cannes and the kitchen of a two-star restaurant where we met the chef and then had an outstanding lunch on the patio. We were treated like royalty. We had a cooking lesson from the chef at Mougins and visited a cheese cave. Kathy Alex teaches the classes and they are outstanding and very reasonably priced. You can check them out at www.cookingwithfriends.com. It was by far the best vacation I have ever had and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 03:21 PM
John B.

If you are wondering where to start check out the "Sunday Reading" postings and travel diaries at:<BR><BR>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Brett

Just got back from the area. I enjoyed Cannes and Nice the most, nice is very american friendly and cannes is what you picture the riviera to be, glitzy and beautiful. Enjoy your trip!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 01:09 PM
actarheel

We just got back from 10 days to Spain and Southern France. St. Remy was great as was St. Paul de Vence (loved the art galleries there). Had some amazing dinners in Avignon as well - both at de la Mirande and Le Vieulle Fontaine at the Hotel D'Europe. Our biggest splurge was a dinner at Le Terasse Juana in Juan Les Pins - service, food and presentation were simply amazing. Have fun!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Francie

Hi Sean,<BR>I, too, (with my hubby) spent one glorious "food vacation" week in Provence in the medieval town of Bonnieux. A French woman who opened up her home to 2 couples at a time, demonstrated and cooked the foods of the region each night as we would explore the different towns/villages by day. (I found her after reading articles about her in House Beautiful, New Yorker magazines. She was Alice Waters' inspiration.) As she no longer cooks directly out of her home, she does cooking classes in little town of Dieulefit in Chateau de Mazenc with 4 other instructors. Anyway, what I am aiming for and since you and wife are foodies...A gem of a restaurant and one that you should not miss is "Le Bistrot du Paradou" a 15 min drive from St. Remy, over the Alpilles in the village of Le Baux. Remy. This was highly recommended to us and we were able to obtain reservations on a Friday for lunch in this very charming, wonderful restauant. This has been written up in many food magazines as the best restaurant in the world. You can check it out on the internet, read the many excellent reviews. Also, in and around the Luberon region there are many wonderful spots. The village of Laurmarin is great for top notch restaurants. Try this site. http://www.arondeprovence.com/redactionnels/restaurants_luberon.htm.<BR>A tip: Have you seen the great little book entitled "The Markets of Provence?" It is so great to visit the markets each day in a different village. Really makes one appreciate the fresh foods of the land. Don't miss the big market place in Apt on Saturday. Eat at the large open restaurant in the main square.<BR>Good luck and bon appetit. Francie

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:06 PM
mimi taylor

Let me suggest to you a wonderful place outside the climb to Les Baux. the "Riboto de Taven". the couple who run the place couldn't be nicer, the place is beautiful as well as location, and the food elegant. You will be near some incredible other restaurants.<BR>The food at Paradou is not the greatest but good and makes up in ambiance, so you'll have a great time there jean-Louis is a nice host and his wife a good cook(I'd like to take his dog home)<BR>Acterheel's suggestions for dinnibng in Avignon are right on. Another suggestion in Les Imberts, outside Les Baux is the "Mas de Toureton", holding fort there' one of the best provencal woman chefs.My husband loved the "l'Oustau de Baumaniere"<BR>another place to stay with great dinners there is "Mas D'Aigret"

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Sue

Mimi, isn't Mas de Tourteron in Les Imberts nearer Gordes than Les Baux?<BR><BR>Also, another famous woman chef holds court at Mas de Cure Bourse in Isle -sur-la-Sorgue; highly recommend.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 07:34 PM
mimi taylor

sorry, you may me right , i forget. but I did stay at the mas de cure Bourse also one year, Sue, That's Madam Donze, who I nicknamed Madam Artichoke because she wore a faux artichoke dangling from her chefs cap. She's a delightful womasn and didn't mind my eating the figs off her tree on the terrace. My only criticism is the dirt one way road that was hell at night trying to find our way back.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Sue

Mme. Donze had a spring of parsley in her toque when I was there! I told her I had read of her in Patricia Wells, and she replied," J'adore Patricia Wells!"

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:49 AM
John B.

Interesting that after all these suggestions no feedback from Sean. Perhaps he has forgotten where he wanted to go?<BR>John B.