Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me find reasonable airfare - Cincinnati to Munich, then Paris to Cincinnati

Search

Please help me find reasonable airfare - Cincinnati to Munich, then Paris to Cincinnati

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:18 PM
emt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having trouble finding multi-city airfare for a trip this June. Flying from Cincinnati to Munich, then out of Paris back to Cincinnati. I realize multi-city is more expensive, but I really think $1200 is pretty steep. I've been quoted near that on Orbitz, Travelscape. I've also looked into Justfares, but they can't meet my date requirements (and they have me transferring planes many times.)<BR><BR>Could it be that it's still a bit too early to book? Or should I just bite the bullet and take this fare? <BR>(FYI - I've also looked into flying out of Dayton, but in that case, I'm changing planes twice on trip over - in London flying into Gatwick and out of Heathrow. No thanks.)<BR><BR>Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:45 PM
rex

Cincinnati has never had good airfares in the 20 years I've lived in Ohio, it seems to me - - to much Delta monopoly.<BR><BR>I don't think that open jaw is your problem. Have you checked your dates for Munich only, RT or Paris only RT? Bet they're very similar if you're looking at regular published air fares.<BR><BR>You might have to consider leaving from another city. Louisville has Southwest to Baltimore, and there are no doubt lower fares from there - - don't know how much lower you will find without being creative. Consider looking for fares into Frankfurt or London.<BR><BR>And post this on the Cheap Flights forum of www.eurotrip.com<BR><BR>There may be sale fares that can help you, but be watching constantly. The British Airways sale of this week is three days only (you COULD use that).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:48 PM

<BR>What dates of travel?
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:51 PM

emt,<BR><BR>Try US Air connecting in Philadelphia, if that's possible. A friend just got a $412 round trip ticket to Paris from Denver, routing throught Phila.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:00 PM

I don't know your exact dates, but I picked arbitrary ones in June and got fares for your open jaw itinerary ranging from $590-$802 USD on economytravel.com (Availability is another question, but it's worth a try to play around here.)<BR><BR>Also try airlineconsolidator.com - fares from $633-904, but also not necessarily available on all dates.<BR><BR>Or http://www.travelhub.com/airfares/intl.html<BR><BR>A somewhat less user-friendly site that also lets you search open jaw and sometimes has good fares is onetravel.com (click on &quot;multi-city&quot; from the main page).<BR><BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:13 PM
emt
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.<BR><BR>Rex: I agree about Ohio fares, especially Cincinnati. Ridiculous. <BR><BR>I'll try some of the other sites suggested. I'll also try out of Louisville - not a far drive from here, really.<BR><BR>Thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:13 PM

I checked almost every morning from September until January on Orbitz.com when I bought roundtrip Cincinnati to Paris on Continental for $506. I double checked Indy since it's closer but the airfare was over $700. I only saw that airfare one morning and when I checked in the afternoon it was gone.<BR><BR>You might try a little persistence with Cincinnati and see what happens.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:47 PM
rex

Oh, and one last thing - - I would still like to host (or help host) a Fodorites' get-together for OH/IN/KY sometime. There must be a dozen or more regulars (or semi-regulars) in a 2-3 hour circle from the tri-state area.<BR><BR>April? June? anyone?<BR><BR>
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Michael

Does ATA fly from Cincinnati to Chicago? If so you might be able to get a cheaper flight to Europe out of Chicago.

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 11:47 AM
rex

Southwest flies cheap from Columbus to Chicago (Midway); ATA flies from Indianapolis. Both are lower cost options, not TOO far from Cincy.<BR><BR>But WAS (BWI or IAD) might be a better choice, for us &quot;left in the middle&quot; Big-Ten-er's.<BR>
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:05 PM

Hey Rex, I'd like to go to a Fodor's GTG. As my name suggests, I'm in Indianapolis, but Dayton &amp; Cincinnati are easy drives. <BR><BR>First half of April, last half of May &amp; June are all good for me. <BR><BR>I've never been to a GTG but I'm hoping to go to one in Paris the first week of May. In fact I'll top the thread to see if any one else is in Paris then.