Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me decide: Mediterranean Cruise or Greece Island Hopping in May???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can’t decide if my wife & I (early 30s) should cruise the Celebrity Solstice (Italy and Greece) or just visit Greece on our own. Only thing that is booked is a round trip flight NY to Rome 5/13 – 5/25. Our main destination is Greece since we’ve never been there. We’ve been to Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence) but not Sicily or Naples which this cruise visits.

Option 1:
Solstice fits our flight schedule perfectly. Cruise 10 night itinerary: Rome – Sicily – Sea – Athens – Mykonos – Ephesus – Rhodes – Santorini – Sea – Naples – Rome

Option 2: I will have full 10 days in Greece due to flights from Rome to Greece.
Athens (1 full day to see the obligatory sites) – Island 1 (2 days) – Santorini (4 days) – Island 3 (3 days)

We cruised the Caribbean once before and we both enjoyed it a lot. However, I also like to plan my own trips and just see places. We loved our 2007 trip to Croatia in May. We also loved our trip to Paris and Italy in May a few years ago. Yes, I do like the May weather in Europe.

Let’s assume that the cost of the trips for options 1 and 2 are equal. What would you do? Would we regret if we only spent a day (approx. 9am – 4pm) on each of the Greek islands that the cruise visits? Missing out the famous sunset at Santorini, night life, local cuisine, etc.? We want this trip to be more relaxing and romantic. Cruising is attractive because it could be relaxing if we decide to and I am sure this new ship’s cabin could be romantic. Also, cruising would be super convenient. However, I feel like the Greek islands deserve way more than a few hours of daylight. And I do like to take photographs, sunrise, sunset, night scene, etc. Please help me decide. Thanks Fodorites.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 01:55 PM

We spent 3 days in Santorini a couple of years ago. I will never forget the influx of cruise ships every day with resultant crowds. The island was totally different after the cruise passengers left....beautiful and serene.
The ship docks for such a short time, I would think it difficult to really appreciate the island (or any other, for that matter.)
Obviously, my advice would be to choose the Greece island hopping option.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Oh, island hopping on your own, for sure!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Stay on the islands, not a ship. Nothing beats romance and relaxation than sitting out on your veranda at night, sipping on a glass of wine overlooking the caldera of Santorini...or just digging your toes into the sand on Naxos with a little beach front bar a few feet away. Also, rent a car and drive around the islands, stopping at the stands with sun dried tomatoes and other fun goodies to buy. I have only been on one cruise and hated having to watch my time to get back to the boat.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I would feel so cheated if I were seein gthe Greek isles from a cruise ship. The hordes get off and back on the ship, never getting a feel for the real place or the local people.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM

>>However, I feel like the Greek islands deserve way more than a few hours of daylight. And I do like to take photographs, sunrise, sunset, night scene, etc.<<

I think you answered your own question!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM

I vote for Greece Island Hopping.
I haven't read anything lately but there was rioting in Athens recently.
I went with a Greek Island hopping tour in 2007. 3 days Athens, 3 days Mykonos and 3 days Santorini(Fira).
You can do this on your own using the high-speed ferries and maybe add another island instead of time in Athens if there are still problems in May.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Greece... but concentrate on the mainland!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM

I'm having the same dilemma for
October.

a) Cruise ship
b) Easy cruise life - about 1/3 the price of cruise ship
c) land tour

If I decide on the land tour - there is the worry that the ferries stop running sometime in October, but can anyone suggest a tour agency in Greece?

Thanks

M.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 12:34 AM

>>there is the worry that the ferries stop running sometime in October<<

No worries there! Ferries aren't for tourists, they are for Greeks. When the tourist season is over, ferries continue to run on all the main ferry routes. Islanders still need to eat, and to travel back and forth to the mainland. Even the remotest island will have ferries at least once or twice per week in the depths of winter.

In winter you must plan an itinerary that doesn't rely on summer-only catamarans that connect islands on <i>different</i> ferry routes. In the shoulder seasons of May/early-Jun and late-Sep/October many of the cats operate a reduced timetable, but conventional ferries operate year-round.

In October FlyingCat 4 (Mykonos-Santorini-Crete) is still running, and with summer crowds gone, is a good time to travel.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM

Go to http://www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/index_en.vm, backtrack to last October using the calendar function and you'll see what was available ferry-wise then.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We used a Greek Travel agency that friends who live in Greece recomended- Zeus Diplomatic in Athens.
We were very pleased with the trip that George Sotiropoulos planned for us. It was flawless with tickets for all ferries,
flights, and great hotels. www.zeus-diplomatic.gr
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Thanks guys for the suggestions - will keep me busy looking things up for awhile.

Old Jan 16th, 2009, 04:12 PM

We say...Island hopping over cruise!

Fantasy Travel Greece (agency ass't Paula)gave us a choice of A,B,C cost accommodations. We chose the 'B' range and we had great accommodations with excellent 'pickup' to and from.We are otherwise thrifty on our travel and spend only on the great restaurants and exhibits we discouver!
Buy a favourite wine from town, bring it back to the hotel for a drink before dinner and I promise you will never forget the experience of staying on the islands! Agencies are best in our opinion to book ferry times as they know the schedules best. We encountered stormy weather while in Santorini.Our trip was not affected in the end, but it is great to have a Greek agent to discuss possible alternatives to getting 240 km or so to the mainland to a departure flight from Athens.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 08:57 PM

You really haven't that much time in Greece. Where I also support staying on the islands rather than day-tripping from a ship, I think you should pick two islands and spend some time on each rather than trying to fit in three islands and spending a lot of time moving around.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Another vote for two islands and Fantasy Travel for all the above reasons!
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Another vote for staying on the islands.

Several years ago we looked into cruises of the Greek islands and what put us off was a caveat which said something to the effect that subject to weather and sea conditions, you may not get to debark on x,y,z island because the tenders couldn't be launched.

May not be the case for all cruise lands or all islands.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Option 2 it is! I am now thinking 2 days in Athens, 4 days in Santorini and 4 days in another island.

There are way too many islands to choose from and the more I read about them the harder it is to pick one. We do want the 2nd island to have nice beaches where we can get to them by a scooter. Mykonos? Paros?
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 05:25 AM

On our stay in Mykonos our guide warned against scooters on Mykonos. She lived in Athens and rode her own scooter/Motorbike but said she wouldn't do that on Mykonos. This was in June so maybe is is not as dangerous in May. Mykonos has many nice beaches but I don't know anything about Paros.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Naxos gets my vote for island #2. Plenty of very lovely beaches along the west coast that are easily accessible by scooter or bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -