Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help college student/reasonable cafes in 8th arr.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just posted this in Europe and decided to tag in France as well. Please help with any suggestions for a reasonably priced cafe/cafes that my daughter can study at when away from her beautiful home stay on Rue De Bassano./8th arr. Of course this is a pricey area but I thought someone may know of a hidden gem!
Thank you!
PJO
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 07:06 AM

Why does she need a café to study?
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 07:16 AM

You don't go a café in Paris to sit and study and take up valuable table space. Besides the two or three tier pricing system, cafés are generally busy several times a day, and would normally be distracting if trying to study.

She can probably go to one of the three Starbucks in the 8th, just like she would do at home.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 07:18 AM

Starbucks are everywhere in Paris

http://www.theparisienexpat.com/2010...ssement-paris/

shows cafes in 8th with free wifi - and also McDonalds and Starbucks in the area - those two are different from regular cafes in that you need not even buy anything to sit and use the wifi and work, etc. You can in a formal cafe but will pay $4 or so for a drink.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 07:22 AM

<i>You don't go a café in Paris to sit and study and take up valuable table space.</i>

Thank you.

Tell your daughter to go to a library to study and that denying a business revenue isn't cool.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 07:50 AM

Part of the beauty of Paris is that you can sit in a cafe for an hour or two with just a coffee - and won't be hustled away.

However, if she plans on spending the whole day there - I just wonder why she isn't using a library or ???
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 08:37 AM

An hour or two, yes, but you do not sit in a cafe all day to study. What is the point of that, anyway, if you aren't buying drinks all day, which would be very expensive. People don't study at cafes, they are for business, I agree. She can go to a library like other students.

IN general, if she wants to go to a cheaper cafe to have a drink, she can easily go outside the 8th arrondisement, obviously, there are cheaper areas in the 9th or 17th, etc. And in the 8th, it will be cheaper in the upper part away from the Champs-Elysees, I imagine. But she should go where kids her own age hangout.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The BNF François Mitterrand has absolutely stunning study areas surrounding the sunken forest.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

thanks but my daughter was NOT looking to take up valuable space. She was looking at places to eat for a reasonable amount and work/study while there. She has a wonderful home to study in as well. Just looking for reasonable prices near her home. Did not mean to offend. And Starbucks is obviously something we can do back home, not a Paris experience. She was not looking to take revenue, just some less expensive options to eat
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 01:34 PM

That area in Paris, i.e., near the Champs would be difficult to find the kind of really low priced restaurants your Daughter is looking for, IME.

Perhaps Kerouac, a frequent poster who lives in Paris, and used to work near there before he retired, will chime in with some suggestions. I can recall him mentioning the rather reasonable places he would buy lunch just off the Champs, but I can't recall the names. BTW, he lives in the 18th, and has mentioned that ethnic restaurants near his apartment are much more reasonable that in the center.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 01:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There are plenty of reasonable lunches available in the area due to the huge number of unwealthy office workers in this super expensive zone. After office hours, however, it is turned exclusively to high end customers and tourists who don't mind chain restaurants.

In any case, it is about the very worst area for a single young woman to spend any time at all in a café unless she really enjoys being chatted up by insistent male visitors from the Persian Gulf region.

If she doesn't want to eat or study in the apartment, she would absolutely need to change neighborhood for that.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM

<i>Please help college student/reasonable cafes in 8th arr.
Posted by: patricia1961 on Sep 11, 13 at 10:46am
Please help with any suggestions for a reasonably priced cafe/cafes that my daughter can study at when away from her beautiful home stay on Rue De Bassano./8th arr.</i>

Where is her school? If it is in the 5th where most of them are she will find a number of reasonably priced places to eat. She can even eat in the university cafeterias.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 02:20 PM

On your other thread you mentioned that she was studying in the 6th. She should eat there or in the 5th before going home to the 8th. University cafeterias require U. of Paris matriculation cards. We don't know where she is studying.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 02:24 PM

Ummmm, the Starbucks in Paris are probably frequented by Parisiens!! I think you may be trying to solve your daughter's problem, which would be really good for HER to solve. watch out for the helicopters!! LOL
And now there are two threads!!
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

thank you to everyone with their help. She eats with her host parents two nights a week and often with friends on the other nights. I will recommend continuing to dine in the sixth before heading home
As for helicopter parent remark, if helping my daughter with some restaurant suggestions makes me one, so happy to claim the title. I hope you are not a parent! Also Starbucks is not a parisian experience for dining, by parisians or anyone else.
Thanks again everyone!
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 04:53 PM

If your daughter is studying in Paris, can't she figure this out for herself? I cannot imagine either of my kids needing me to suggest specific cafés to go "study" or even get a cheap meal. She must know other students, and talk with them. Kids share this stuff...like crazy I would back off and leave it to her to figure out.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 05:00 PM

In defense of the Starbucks contribution, you only asked for a "reasonably priced cafe/cafes that my daughter can study at..." You made no mention of meals in your original posts nor did you mention a Parisian dining experience. You received a response that was appropriate to your question.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 07:39 PM

Patricia--When our DD did a study abroad term there, the students had a go to place that had good but very inexpensive food. It was near their university so was popular with a lot of the students. Anyway, it was on rue de la harpe, which many people here will sneer at. That said, when I met her at the end, we went there, a lot, and it was good. It is Creperie Genia and you can get panini sandwiches and a soda for 3 euro. If you add a sucre crepe it was like a euro more. The two sisters that own/run it were so nice and really seemed to enjoy the regulars. From the street, the place looks teeny tiny, but there is an upstairs seating area that is quite bit and has plenty of room if your daughter wants to study. I hope your daughter has a fantastic experience!
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you mms I will pass that on. Thank you to everyone who helped. My daughter was just looking to expand her area where she is already exploring when she get back in the evening but I think the places she has found by school in the sixth are her best bet.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 04:11 AM

<i>patricia1961 on Sep 13, 13 at 8:03am</i>
Is you daughter writing a blog or keeping a log? Here is one my daughter did a few years ago, http://inaplace.wordpress.com/.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -