Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please don’t hang your bras out of the window…

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Kavey

February 2002<BR><BR>I have been to Paris many times.<BR><BR>There was that very first trip, 12 years old, with my family, trying to explain that 1 year studying French in school meant I could order food, ask for directions and buy tickets at the station, not hold comprehensive conversations with every Parisian I met. But it was fun and we had a great time.<BR><BR>There were the 6 months of weekend visits with my best friend from high school, we went to France as au pairs, in towns outside of Paris, and met up, with our limited financial resources, every weekend. We got to know the Clignancourt flea markets, the restaurants of the 5th arrondissement and the Grande Arche area pretty well…<BR><BR>Then there were trips introducing friends, shorter weekend trips, trips with hubby introducing him to a decent steak and goats cheese salad, trips with sister exploring the clothes paradise/ hell of Lafayette.<BR><BR>But this was a first.<BR><BR>My husband Pete and I taking a shy, 13 year old girl, who had seldom travelled out of the UK on her first trip to Paris. Rosie is our niece, she is a lovely girl, intelligent, sweet and witty, without the rebellious moodiness of many teenagers, and without the desperate addiction to branded clothes and celebrity adoration. We told her about the trip on Christmas day, her presents were an empty box with a voucher in (which I printed) telling her about the trip, and then a guidebook and a history book about Paris. So how did it go?<BR><BR>To my eternal shame we didn’t get to Angelina’s or Berthillon’s! But we did have a great time, we did eat well, and we did show her a few of the main sights. And most importantly of all, I believe we started her on the path of the joyous traveller. She says she hopes to visit many more countries, see many more cities, try many more unusual dishes and stay in more funky little hotels… I think she’s hooked!<BR><BR>Here’s the report:<BR><BR><BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Patrick

What a great and refreshing post. Thanks, Kavey. We could use a few more of these posts here.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 08:41 AM
xxx

Don't forget the tall-dark Frenchman named Pierre who gave you your first loaf of french bread

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 08:50 AM
kavey

Patrick<BR>I must have posted twice.<BR>The entire report (well day 1 anyway) is on another thread, with the same title...<BR>Fodors gremlins at work, I am sure I only posted it once!<BR>Kavey

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 11:23 PM
tothetop

topping

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 07:40 AM
topper

topper

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 08:05 AM
kavey

topper, if you are going to top, can you at least top the thread with the rest of the trip report in it??<BR><BR>LOL<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:55 AM
xxx

I could swear I found and topped this yesterday but it was very long and had more parts of the trip report with ideas for a preteen in Paris.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:39 AM
Shawn

<BR>Looking for the bra part!!!

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
frenchie

le/les bras in French = arm/s (in English)<BR><BR>Just for your information, Shawn.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:10 AM
kavey

as indicated above, this post was an accidental duplication - the full report is still around on the forum in a separate thread.<BR>kavey

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:35 PM
Shawn

<BR><BR>Frenchie I knew that--Cheez!!!!

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:33 PM
xxx

The string with the full report is missing, I thought I topped it yesterday for my cousin but it is not here any more.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:04 PM
enough!

!

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:34 PM
strange

The original thread with heaps of replies was toppe dyesterday - I saw it. Surely it hasn't been deleted?

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 05:10 PM
xyz

Maybe they are cleaning it up.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:19 PM
Diane C in CA

Kavey: A delightful idea! What a great way to expose a young person to the wonderful world of travel! I hope to read the post in full. Diane

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:29 PM
xxx

Give this a rest. Put your bra an Kavey and go home.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:14 PM
huh?

where'd it go?

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 03:33 PM
huh

down the drain, I hope huh