Please comment on Paris Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again, After staying up most of the night I have narrowed down these possibilites. Please comment on these if you know anything about them. We have never been to Paris and are completely ignorant.
Hotel Dauphine St. Germain

Millesiame (Sp) Hotel

Des Deux Continents

Hotel Serves Saint Germain

These hotels have rooms available in our September dates. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sharon
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM

We've stayed at the Millesime at least 4 times and have always been pleased. Our rooms have always been large and well cared for. The breakfast is more than ample with variuous juices, cereals , breads , cheeses and meats. Eggs, etc are also available at an additional cost.

I've not stayed at Deux continents but have peeked into the lobby and have seen pictures taken by a friend who has stayed there. I'll see if I can locate the album for you.

The location , rue Jacob , IMO is great! We never stay anywhere else. It's walking distance to the Louvre, Tuileries, D'Orsay, Ile St Louis, Notre Dame, Luxembourg Gardens and more. There are loads of cafes, restaurants, even a laundramat . The shops along the street itself are fun for shopping. You are within a few blocks of 3 Metro stations, Odeon, Mabillion and St Germain
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:52 AM

I stayed at the Deux Continents a couple of years ago and it was nice. I had a very small room on the top floor of the hotel and it had a little balcony. I enjoyed it, but I think the Millesime is nicer. I have wanted to stay there, but it was a little bit out of my budget. The Millesime is right next door to the 2 Continents. You can't go wrong on Rue Jacob.

I don't know anything about the Hotel Dauphine or the Hotel Serves, but another hotel where I have stayed in the area is the Hotel Madison (http://www.paris-hotel-madison.com/). I really liked this hotel - great location and good breakfast! I would stay there again.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Log on to tripadvisors.com and search for hotel reviews.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Milleseme is recommended by people I know.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! There are so many hotels and they seem to be booking up as fast as I locate one that seems to be "The One." Jody, I am hoping the Millesiame works out. I don't seem to have much choice.
Peesh, I will look up the two continents. It could be a possibility.

Jdfirst, thanks, when I go to the tripadvisor, my mind seems to whirl, but I am trying to get through it. I trust Fodor's folks over anything.
Travelhorizon, Millesime is now at the top of my list.
Please keep the hotels coming. thanks, Sharon
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM

Did you notice the Hotel Millesime has a "tete-a-tete" package? I am going to Paris next month and wanted to stay at a new hotel near the Seine in the 6th, and this was a deciding factor for me.

I calculated that the things in the package would save me about 100.00 euros per person.

Pjk
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:42 AM

I've stayed at Deux Continents. Great location; nice hotel with typically small rooms.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Peter: You are my hero. I am booked, fat, and so happy. What a deal. Thanks to everyone again, Sharon
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Peter was the person whose pictures I saw!!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:28 AM

I've been trying to reply for two days but Fodor's has not been co-operating.

shana - since you have never been to Paris you might want to try this on your first day there. From your hotel on the Rue Jacob walk to the Rue Bonaparte and make a right and follow the Rue Bonaparte all the way to the river. After crossing the street you will be next to the river and if you look to your right you will be able to see Notre Dame on the Ile de la Cite. As you walk towards it note the first bridge that you come to (I think it is the Pont Des Arts but I'm not sure) At the very tip of the Ile De La Cite is the Parc Vert Galante and you can go down there via steps just on the next bridge, the Pont Neuf. It is a nice place to have a picnic or just to sit and watch the tour boats go by. Just off the Pont Neuf is where the Vedettes Pont Neuf departs. This is one of the Tour Boat Companies.

Explore around Notre Dame and then cross over to the Ile St.Louis. On the Ile St Louis is the Brasseris D'Ile St Louis and they have nice outdoor seating and serve good Alsasion beer and onion tarts that are great. If you want to try charcroute or cassolet, this is a good place to try them.

When you are done, all you have to do is go back along the river (try walking on the loweer roadway this time) until you come to the Pont Des Arts and the Rue Bonaparte and you will be able to find your way back to your hotel. Now you can walk past the Rue Jacob to the Blvd St Germain and explore along here. Look for Les Deux Magots, the Relais Odeon and the Taverne St Germain - good places to sit and enjoy a drink.

No matter where you walk from your hotel, if you can find the river you can find Notre Dame. if you can find Notre Dame you can find the Pont des Arts and then the Rue Bonaparte, the Rue Jacob, and your hotel. BTW, on a nice warm night, everyone buys a bottle of wine and sits until midnight on the Ponts Des Arts.

Pjk
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Why stay in a closet sized room, lousy beds, tiny bathroom? Go with a major chain, Marriott, Best Western. Get a good deal with advanced purchase.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Did you book the package at Hotel Millesime?? Is it a good deal? I am not sure if it is or not.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:44 AM

I booked this hotel partly because of this package.

We were not going to include breakfast this trip but the package includes breakfast at a rate that is comparable to other hotels I looked at minus breakfast. This way we don't feel compelled to eat at the hotel every morning. (we go back and forth on this each year. I think now it's best to include breakfast on your first or second trip to save you the trouble of looking for a place, then not include it when you get to now your way around).

We always go to Montmartre by metro so the one-day metro pass for two will take care of that. And we planned on doing another Seine cruise this trip. One of the least expensive is the Vedettes Du Pont Neuf which would be 22.00 euros for two people (11.00 each). And if there is only one way included from the hotel to the airport, this will save at least 35.00 - 40.00 euros.

The other things, bottle of wine and tickets for two appartifs will be nice to have, too, and would add up to maybe 20.00 euros each.

I can show you the other 11 hotesl I considered when I chose the Millesime.

Pjk