Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Paris, Hotel Marronniers or Henri IV Rive Gauche?

Paris, Hotel Marronniers or Henri IV Rive Gauche?

Oct 22nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Paris, Hotel Marronniers or Henri IV Rive Gauche?

Three ladies traveling together to Paris, requiring a triple with 3 single beds.. Both these hotels seem to offer this type of room. Do any of you have first hand knowledge of either of these regarding location (Marronniers is on Rue Jacob and Henri IV Rive Gauche on Rue St. Jacques) noise, amenities, value for money, etc.? Or any suggestion for other hotels with triples with 3 single beds? Would like to stay in the 250E range a night. Thank You.
Oct 22nd, 2010, 09:15 AM

I can't help you with specifics on the hotels, but for location I would prefer rue Jacob. It should be quieter. The other one is just off the Seine near the end of rue de la Huchette. There are tons of tourists around there, huge crowds. Now on the other hand, it would certainly be convenient to walk to Notre Dame etc so if the room you got was quiet as in the rear off the street, or something, the street itself might not matter. Other than noise, I don't have much preference in the two locations (a lot of other people lvoe rue Jacob, I do not). There are definitely more chi-chi shops over on rue Jacob, nothing much around the other but souvenir shops, although you might like the sidewalk cafes/ bars.

If you want to be near the RER, you'd have to choose Henri IV, it's only 1-2 short blocks from it, the line from the airport. The Marronniers is about that distance or a bit mroe from a metro stop. I think the Henri IV has more options in that regard (two lines nearby).
Oct 22nd, 2010, 09:59 AM

I've stayed at the Marronniers several times over the past 20+ years and like it a lot. I have stayed in doubles, singles, but have no knowledge of their triples. It is a charming hotel, wonderful location, and increasingly (over the years, IMO) friendly staff. Since it is set back from the street on a courtyard, it is very quiet. My only caveat is that some of the bathrooms are miniscule. Otherwise, I would have no hesitation recommending it. Perfect place for a ladies' vacation!

I hope someone picks up on this who has stayed in a triple and could comment on the size of the bathroom.

Have fun!
Oct 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM

We really like the Henri IV Rive Gauche. You cannot beat the location and the staff is wonderful. The hotel is updated and very clean with modern bathroom. It looks exactly like the pictures.
A big plus for us is being able to take the RER directly from the airport and be right by the hotel.
We are going to be staying here again in January in a twin (we have stayed before in a triple).
We ask for view of Saint Severin. We did not find noise a problem as the windows were double-glazed. If you sleep with window open you will hear noise but we have found that all over Paris.
I do not know if all triples are the same size. I would suggest emailing the hotel directly and tell them your needs.
We have not stayed in Marronniers but the website pictures didn't grab me (carpets and such look really dated).
A good website to see what hotels have triples is Expedia.
Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:36 AM

I know the location of the Hotel Marronniers, as I've both stayed in that neighborhood, almost annually, since 1981 and my best friend, in Paris, managed that hotel. Although I haven't stayed at the Marronniers, I've been there several times. I love the rue Jacob and the hotel is very nice.

I don't know the Henri IV Rive Gauche although I've heard of it. I wouldn't hesitate staying at the Marronniers. It was just out of my budget, so I stayed for years, at two other hotels in the neighborhood, owned by the same person, and also managed by my best friend, but that cost less. Happy Travels!
Oct 22nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...it's hard to decide which would be a better location and hotel as both seem like good choices. Guenmai, do you know if those other two hotels in that neighborhood have triples? With the exchange rate between the dollar and the Euro going up it would be nice to pay less. Appreciate any recommendations.
Oct 22nd, 2010, 04:39 PM

AlReady2GO- The other two hotels are the Welcome Hotel at 66, rue de Seine and the Hotel de Seine at 52,rue de Seine. I don't think you'd be interested in the Welcome Hotel. It's a budget hotel and there's a lot of noise that comes off of Blvd.St.Germain. I stayed there for 10 years because it was inexpensive and my beloved Hotel de Seine and after my beloved Hotel de Seine had been renovated the prices really hiked. So, the manager of the Hotel de Seine, who was a close friend, moved me down to the Welcome Hotel and at that hotel is where I met my best friend who was managing at the time before being transferred to manage the Marronniers. It is/was all the same owner just different price ranges. I was introduced to the owner while staying at the Welcome.

You could check the Hotel de Seine website to see if they have triples. The location is great. It's a 5-minute walk from the Marronniers. It's on rue de Seine between rue Jacob and rue de Buci. It's across the street from Fish restaurant. I stayed at Hotel de Seine for 9 years and in high season and didn't have any noise problems as my room faced the courtyard. Now, I rent in the apartment building next door and the very quiet apartment also faces the courtyard. Happy Travels!
Oct 22nd, 2010, 04:47 PM

Correction: "I stayed there for 10 years because it was inexpensive and after my beloved Hotel de Seine had been renovated, the prices really hiked."

Sorry, I accidentally hit SEND before finishing the edit. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Oct 23rd, 2010, 06:59 AM

Well, we are going to cancel our January reservation at the Henri VI. I emailed them with a room question yesterday and as part of the response they replied that the facade of the hotel is being re-done so the rooms will not have "light of day" (in other words, windows blocked out).
It is very irritating that they did not mention this when I made the reservation and they have also not lowered the rates.
This is not mentioned on their website either.
Oct 23rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Lynnaustin...thanks for that information...we're looking at going late spring so if we decide on the Henri IV we'll make sure the renovations are finished. Did they say how long it would take? Where else are you thinking of reserving? The Henri IV was one of our top choices.
Oct 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM

I emailed back with them. Actually, the rooms in the back will not have windows blocked and they gave me a discount!
So, we will not cancel. I don't know when the facade will be finished (how long can that take?). The rest of the hotel has been refurbished so probably should be done by May.
You can drop them an email.
When we stay I like the view of St. Severin out the front, but not this time.
Aside from this I would still highly recommend them.
Oct 23rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank Lynnaustin, that helps. Hopefully they should be done with it by thetime we go...not sure where their triple rooms are located? Since I read your reply I started looking at other hotels and have come up with the AuManoir St. Germain...they have a triple that looks nice also...very had to make a decision. I'll have to see if anyone has any first hand knowledge of a triple there. Thanks again for your reply
Oct 23rd, 2010, 05:54 PM

If you end up at the Au Manoir Hotel, I hope you review it on my hotel thread, "Paris Hotels Left Bank Thread". I don't think it has been mentioned. I hadn't heard of it, but it's good to add it to my list when friends ask about hotels. I don't know why I never noticed it as I have a tradition of going to the Cafe Flore on each trip and the hotel, from the google map, looks to be across the street. Happy Travels!
Oct 24th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I promise to post a review if we decide on Au Manoir..still up in the air about hotels..will decide soon, I hope. Do you think the location of the Au Manoir would make the noise level crazy inside the rooms? Hope someone has first hand knowledge and will post soon.
Oct 24th, 2010, 08:29 PM

As far as the noise level, I read the reviews and people seemed to give it high ratings for the sleep factor. So, maybe it's quiet.

I stayed at the Welcome Hotel on the corner of rue de Seine and Blvd.St. Germain and for 10 years and when my room faced Blvd.St.Germain, which was often, the noise level was off the noise charts. It's those terribly noisy motorcycles that are the absolute worst. And I always travel with foam earplugs. Happy Travels!
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:06 AM

Already2go-
Hi, we stayed at the Henri IV in January and I wanted to give you an update. We were in a twin room this time and it was very small. We paid 145 euros, discounted from 185 euros due to construction. (I had to request discount, it was not offerred.)
Housekeeping had the door open to a triple room and I had a good look. It was the room with 2 twin beds and the third twin bed down in an alcove. It was a nice room but a couple of comments. The beds are very short, shorter than twins in other places we stayed. There is not a lot of space between the two twins.
Our room was very clean and the bathroom was just spotless. It was a good size and had a good shower. The one bad thing was that there was plenty of counter space. There was no fan or window in the bathroom making for a steamy mirror for the next person. (I have found it to be common not to have a fan.)
We did need to crack a window as the room was warm. The climate control is in the room but it still got too warm for us. We were on the back of the hotel and so it was quiet. There is no view on the back. Rooms on the front would be very noisy.
The entire front of the hotel was covered in scaffolding but no one was working. Reception said they hoped to be completed by early March depending on the weather. There was one day of light rain during our visit. The other days were chilly but dry, still no one working on the front. There was constuction going on in a shop next door that we could hear starting promptly at 8 a.m. It appeared to be almost complete.
We were only in Paris for a few days so location was key for us and this hotel cannot be beat in the location department. We took the RER B in from the airport and walked two short blocks. We were 3 minute walk from Notre Dame. The only time we took the Metro was to visit the Eiffel Tower.
We did not have the hotel breakfast, too pricey. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants just a few steps away. There is also a small grocery.
I'll try to answer any specific questions you may have. Have a great trip.

Search this Thread