Please Comment on Itinerary Cottswolds & Bath

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following is our itinerary for a four day trip in late February. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated as to the order or possible accomodations:
Saturday-- leave early and drive to Warwick Castle, see the castle and then drive a bit around the Cotswolds. Take a fairly short walk, perhaps Upper to Lower Slaugher and then settle into a hotel in the Cotswolds for the night.
Sunday -- drive to a different part of the Cotswolds and take another walk. I have a book where you can take nice walks to a pub and then eat and drink. In the afternoon, drive to Southern Wales near Cardiff and see Tintern Abbey, Chepstow Castle or Caerphilly Castle. Sleep somewhere in this area.
Monday-- Drive to Bath, should be only 1.5 hour drive. Spend the day in Bath taking a walking tour, going to the Roman Baths, etc. Sleep in Bath.
Tuesday -- Drive slowly back to Windsor stopping in Wells, Glastonbury and Stonehenge.

If the weather is bad, we can see other things in the area - Blenheim Palace, Oxford, Stratford-on-Avon or Cardiff.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Hi James,
where are you driving from? London?
Saturday sounds good, I stayed in a lovely B&Bin the village of Blockley (near Moreton-in-Marsh) if you want to slightly back track. Or spend the night in Bibury (off the A29 heading towards Cirencester) I've stayed in the Bibury Court Hotel. Built in 1633, 8 acres of ground and the lawn extends to the river Coln.
Sunday: A29-A433 to Tetbury, morning tea and a walk then drive to Southern Wales.
Monday and Tuesday sound great.
I love the Cotswolds and was there last July, we stayed in Blockley for 5 nights and did a very small area of the Cotswolds mainly visiting gardens like Snowshill etc.
I am going again this September and cannot make up my mind where to stay this time!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:05 AM

I assume from your other threads that you are leaving from Windsor.

It looks like you are planning:

Sat, Windsor > Warwick > Cotswold drive

Sun, Cotswold drive/walk/lunch > South Wales Tintern/Chepstow

Mon, Wales > Bath

Tues, Bath > Wells > Glastonbury > Stonehenge > Windsor

Your Sunday is a bit of a problem. By the time you finish your country walk and lunch it will be mid afternoon. It will be too late to get to Chepstow/Tintern in time to see both. I'd just do a morning walk from your hotel and then head to Wales. Eat lunch in Chepstow and visit the castle and then drive up to the Abbey.

And I'd make a slight change to you Mon/Tues plan. Drive to Bath and spend the day exploring the city. Bath is very compact and you can see most of it in about 6 hours. Then in the late afternoon Drive to Wells and visit the Cathedral - maybe attend evensong.

Tuesday morning visit the Cathedral/bishop's palace if you didn't see then the day before and then drive to Glastonbury and visit the Abbey. Maybe climb the Tor if it the time/weather cooperate. Drive to Stonehenge in time to to get there before 4 p.m. Then back to Windsor.

By making this change you would have a better chance to get to all those place w/ enough time to visit the sites.

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:06 AM

A quick second to the most recent suggestion to stay in Wells for evensong. I missed that opportunity and still regret it. Wells Cathedral is beautiful. J.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think we well take the suggestion about not overnighting in bath. I am also going to look into the Bibury Court Hotel.
Jim Loan