PLEASE Come to Edinburgh for Hogmanay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the Scotsman there are plenty of tickets left for the NYE festivities. This presumably also means that there are a lot of spare beds going as well
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 03:42 AM

I'm not that surprised they still have tickets left. Maybe people have wised up to the fact that they've had to cancel the event twice in the past few years due to bad weather. I'd think twice too about spending hundreds of quid on travel, accommodation and tickets to an event that has only a 75% chance of going ahead!
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 03:47 AM

Never again. One Hogmanay in Edinburgh was enough for me. The damp almost killed me.

Dreadful Defarge
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 06:15 AM

I live in Edinburgh and was there a couple of years ago when the festivities were cancelled at the last minute.We were supposed to go to the ceilidh in the gardens (£35 + booking fee)Supposed to start at 9.00pm but was called off at 8.50.
A group of us had come into the city center from various area around the city.No place to go,what pubs that were open quickly filled up.A few of us manuage to get the last bus to the outskirts of the city where we live and saw in the New Year in the comfort of a friends house,many people had to walk home as most buses had finished running by nthen and taxis were like hens teeth.lots of visitors with nothing to do just headed back to their hotels.
For me there is no chance of ever going back to the city center for Hogmanay.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 06:50 AM

These are among the reasons why I've never been into the city centre for Hogmanay, apart from my first year here when I actually lived in the Old Town (and which was before you started needing a ticket). Even then I only walked through en route to a party and back.

So unclegus, you are American are you ?
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 07:10 AM

no I was born in Stockbridge,educated mainly in the city and now live on the south side of the city,I have lived in various parts of the UK moved back to Edinburgh about 15 years ago.
And yes I am getting on a bit.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Just wondering why you used "center", then.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Well I'll go if AlanRow is paying .
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Caroline there are several ways of using the term center or centre,nowadays both are perfectly interchangeable.
but according to the Oxford dictionary using center for the center of town is the more acceptable way of spelling it.
http://www.elook.org/dictionary/center.html
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We were there five years ago when it was cancelled at about 11pm, just as we tried to get into the hugely overcrowded street party. At least, it was hugely overcrowded at the West End entrance. It may have been better elsewhere.

Fortunately, the Hogmanay festivities were not the purpose of our very expensive family trip for four from California to Edinburgh. We were there to spend Christmas and New Year with family. But anyone who did spend serious money for that fiasco has my sympathy. Nobody can control the weather, but nobody made back-up plans either.

In fairness, we were also there in 2000 and the weather was great, very cold and clear.

Nobody I know who lives in Edinburgh goes to this event, or even wants to go, but people all over the city enjoy the fireworks at midnight.

If you're going to be in Edinburgh for Hogmanay, the best events take place in the two or three days prior to New Year's. IMO, the street party should be avoided unless you are in your very early twenties and have the stamina of an ox. It is absolutely not an event for children.

There are other things to do, though, but you need to book very early. It's probably already too late for the top restaurants, for instance.

Edinburgh is a beautiful, welcoming city at any time of the year.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 12:06 AM

unclegus, I have *never* seen a British person use the spelling "center" - it seems very odd to me. And I don't know what the 'Oxford dictionary' is but it isn't the widely-knowm respected and definitive OED which identifies "center" as the US variation- http://www.askoxford.com/results/?vi...archtype=exact.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 12:15 AM

Caroline ,I just don't know what your problem is but you seem to have taken a dislike to me since I started posting on this forum.
In future please ignore any of my posts as I will yours.
I am on this forum to help other traveller not to have silly arguments with little girls who know no better.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 03:03 AM

My son will be there for NYE and as a poor backpacker he informed us that the accommodation over NYE was very expensive, even backpacker accommodation.

Anyway, he has found a couch to crash on at a friends house for a couple of days over that period, so he's very happy - does that make him a couchsurfer?
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 03:34 AM

I've no views for or against unclegus.

But if he thinks 'center' is ever acceptable English, except for those using the dialect currrent in the United States, he's simply uneducated.

If he thinks he learned such nonsense in the Scottish education system, he must have been asleep at the time. And I can't for a nanosecond imagine any Scottish dominie would have let him stay asleep long enough to remain in such ignorance.

And, like Caroline, I've no idea what the "Oxford dictionary" is either. Every version of the OED on sale, or able to be consulted, in Oxford is unanimous that 'center' isn't acceptable outside the US.
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 03:43 AM

Glad you agree re "center", flanner.

unclegus, I think you have just displayed exactly the attitude which has wound up several of us on this board since you appeared, setting yourself up as *the* expert on Scotland and making assumptions about the rest of us - like there are not already a number of us who either live in Scotland or have spent a lot of time here, and have been helping people on this board for years. You have put down at least one person who knows a lot more about Scotland than me. In a similar way you seem to be assuming that I am younger than you.