Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning trip on October--need some help! thanks!:)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

My husband, son, and I are planning our itinerary--my son wants to explore Ancient Rome--as he's a history buff(primarily through the computer game, Age of Empires)lol
Any ideas for comfy hotels? What are some of the "mut see/do" sites in Rome? We plan on being in Rome for about a week.

Also, I am traveling via wheelchair(I realize the challenges but am going for it- life is short!) I can manage a few steps...though elevators come in handy--I've already been surfing the web on accessibility issues(yikes!). Basically, I just need some solid recommendations based on real experiences--this looks like a good place to get those...!

Hubby and I would like to see Florence(I'm an artist and am soooo excited about this trip, you have no idea!)--also we'd like to drive through much of the Tuscany area--hubby is a photographer--we are thinking of
renting a villa for a week--maybe Chianti region OR intead of Chianti, maybe Liguria for a week. Any nice villas with a balcony overlooking the sea in Liguria or the like?--and/or an idea for a villa in the Chianti region...

2 weeks total--1 in Rome--1 in Chianti or Liguria... help! Thanks in advance!sheridan
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:24 PM

You might do well to visit the Slow Travel website and ask your question there because the issue of wheelchair accessibility in Rome comes up frequently, so they have a lot of good tips.

Likewise they also have a lot of reviews of villa rentals and Ligurian and Tuscan travel planners, and you can get an idea there of what might work out perfectly for you.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Hi Sheradan,

I highly recommend reading the book by Rick Steves called: Rick Steves' Easy Access Europe : A Guide for Travelers with Limited Mobility.

It hasn't been released yet, but you can sign up for it on Amazon and they'll send it to you as soon as possible. It's supposed to publish on May 28th.

I'd also recommend speaking directly to anywhere you rent from to make sure they understand your limitations and that they'll be able to accomodate you. I think renting the car is a great idea..it will give you so much more flexibility.

Have a great trip!

Margy
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ness!

Thanks for taking the time to answer--I have been to that site already--they DO have some great tips...thanks! I think it would be wise for us to stay right in the heart of "Ancient Rome"(for a few days , anyway)... I hear that the Albergo del Senato is wonderful-- I've read that for the most part, it's accessible. I'm not totally confined to a chair , so I feel I can manage.

I just purchased the tickets(yippeee!)--we live in Alaska so it will be quite the flight...

Now, I'm eager to make reservations for hotels/villas/vehicle... as well as do more research for our itinerary!

Thanks again for your suggestions and time!

take care,
Sheridan
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi Margy!

Wow, that book sounds perfect--I will check it out at Amazon(one of my fave sites)! Thanks for the heads up!

You're right about direct contact-- it certainly does help to clarify what someone else's idea of accessibility is!

thanks for all of your help--and we will have a great time!

take care,
ciao for niao!
Sheridan