Frommer's Driving Tour Book

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used Frommer's driving tour book for Tuscany & Umbria?
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 03:25 PM

Hi, I would like to know as well. I purchased the book at the very start of planning for my trip.

I think it might come in handy for the 2 days of meandering we have to do after our Rome hotel before checking into our Cortona villa.

We might also use it for after the villa before going to the airport.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

PLMN, I thought it might be a good source to use in planning, before asking a million question on this board. When are you going?
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:48 PM

Hi jal52.

I am going with my folks. Leaving US Oct 3 and returning on Oct 16 or 17.

I TOO purchased the book for planning purposes. It was one of many books I bought so that I might try to get the best overview.

I didn't realize how helpful the book might be for what turns out to be a 2 night break between the hotel in Rome and the villa in Cortona.

When are you going?
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:16 PM

I am also planning our 1st trip to Europe. I purchased it and spent the weekend reading it. I must admit it was full of information but for starting to plan, I am still confused. I was more "micro" - I need something to tell me more about where to start, where to go, how much time to spend at each place, etc. I am also going in late October.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:20 PM

Sorry everyone - ignore my last message. I was thinking about another book - sorry
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Anyone??? I am trying to pack light and take only really useful travel books.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:38 AM

I have that book but have not really used their itineraries in Tuscany since I plan my own there. They seem too detailed for me--how much time do you have? You really have to establish a base location before you can plan day trips.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Italy two weeks in Sept/Oct 2005. I believe in planning in advance!

I am thinking of flying into Genoa, option of getting a car and driving down the coast to the Cinque Terre or taking the train, to Tuscany and basing in between Florence and Siena, then going east to Arezzo-Assisi, dropping the car and train to Venice for 3 nights.

I know this is a lot of driving, but we don't mind; would rather change hotels every 2-3 nights rather than back track.

Also, I am traveling with husband and brother, both of whom can take only so many churches, museums and hill towns (my sister-in-law and I can't get enough!)

My husband and I did an extensive car trip in France last fall and had such a great time. However, there were many prehistoric caves and underground caverns to see there. I am looking for other sites to see in Italy that will help break up the hill towns. I know that Capri/Blue Grotto would be nice, but it seems too far south. Am also considering Montecassino, to please my brother's interest in WWII sites.

Fortunately, I love to do research!