Search

Planning the itinerary - Cyprus + Greece

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2014, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning the itinerary - Cyprus + Greece

Hi..

I'm planning my honeymoon trip from 5th Dec to 21st Dec 2014 and would love to get some advice on how to plan the itinerary!

I know its not the best time to spend time on the beaches but these are the only places coming to rescue if we want to be near the coast as well and do some skiing etc.

I want to stay in Cyprus for a maximum of 4 days and then move to Greece (Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Rhodes, Crete) and end at Athens.

I'd like some idea on how many days I should spend at each place.. I'm also willing to exclude some of the places mentioned for Greece and maybe interchange with other options (since Dec. would mean most ferry operators shut-down for holidays)

We love adventure and would like to start the trip with some beaches where we can relax after the crazy wedding.. That's why we'd like to start with Cyprus first since it should be relatively warmer. Then we're planning to start Greece with a few islands and head off to the mainland for skiing and Athens.

Does this seem feasible? Or are we cramping too many things?
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 08:32 AM

You're planning to visit 5 Greek islands and Athens in 12 days?? What research have you done on your own yet? Although Cyprus is further east that doesn't mean it will be warm enough for the beach there. Last December the average temperature was 55'F, or 13'C, hardly beach weather. Winds sometimes blew as strong as 31mph, or 50kmh. The ferry system is much more limited in December than it is in peak season, not just because of holidays but because the demand is not there. Do you know that because of its size it takes a minimum of a week with a rental car just to barely scratch the surface of Crete? It may be possible to fly from Cyprus to Crete but to get to the other islands from Crete means flying or ferrying back to Athens first. Ferry schedules: http://www.gtp.gr
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 08:56 AM

Deecember is not beach weather in Cyprus but 13C seems a little low, usually it is a pleasant 15-20C in December. Last November in Cyprus was quite warm. The north coast around Polis suffered some bad storms last winter, however it is quite unusual for that to happen. Nevertheless it is winter and rain is possible. Snow might have already arrived in the mountains where you can ski.