Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning Italy June 2006. Here come the questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting get a narrower focus on the general framework for this first trip to Italy. Thanks for helping me get this far.

So far it looks like we'd like to do 14 -16 days. Mid June to early July is a must because of my work schedule.

We will probably start in Venice for 3 to 4 nights.

Then Florence for 2 to 3 nights.

We want to do Tuscany and Umbria for the rest of the time. Siena, San G., southern Tuscany, Assisi, Spello,Montefalco,Norcia and Orvieto are places that sound interesting at this time.

I like the idea of spending some time in southern Tuscany and using it as a base for visiting the region.
I've read here that using Pienza or Montepulciano as base is it possible to do a day trip to Orvieto. Is this right?

How about using the Pienza/Montepulciano area as a base to visit Assisi, Spello, Montefalco or Norcia?

If I had say...8 days in Tuscany and Umbria, would it be better to do four in southern Tuscany and 4 in Umbria or all 8 days in southern Tuscany and venture into Umbria on day trips?

My gut tells me that settling in to one place for an extended period of time would be much more relaxing and give us more flexibility to decide on things once we are there. What are your experiences with this approach?

Thanks!
-Bill

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Compared to North America, distances are not very great in Italy, but do bear in mind that most of the places you mention can only be reached by small, twisting -- and charming, I don't deny it -- roads and that it will take more time than you might think if you only look at mileage.

I would suggest two bases: one in southern Tuscany and one in Umbria.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:33 AM
ira

Hi iam,

You might want to use www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com to help with your motor trip.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 01:09 PM

We have stayed at La Saracina which is between Pienza and Montepulciano. From there, we were able to take daytrips to Gubbio, Perugia, Assisi, Norcia, Siena, Monteriggioni, San Gimignano, Volterra, and Sinalunga. Pienza was a ten minute drive away and Montepulciano was about five minutes away. It would have been easy to go to Montalcino and Orvieto from there but we did that on another trip. It's a good base if you don't mind driving. The distances aren't all that far but as stated before, the roads are slow going.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 01:52 PM

No Rome !!!
) only kidding though I adore that city)
I do not have a clue as to your travel style . But, I would say go with your gut!!!!
Personally I would stay in one place for that week. I have found that 3 moves is about all I or the kids can handle in a two week trip.
as to where to spend that week. Can't say which you would like more.

I will suggest a very nice place I took the kids to in 2003. www.montalto.it
it is 14 miles east of Siena and good for daytrips to everywhere with a car.
Definitely would return there again!
(We rented the Casa di Guardia which is a 3 bedroom, and more than you will need. but they have alot of smaller places too)

Have fun!! you will have a blast wherever you end up!
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 03:31 PM

I would definitely do a week in one spot, preferably an apartment. We loved ours this year in Montepulciano. Depending on where you fly in and out of, I'd actually think about starting in Florence without a car, getting one when you leave and spend a week in Montepulciano (or Pienza), then stop for a single night or two at Assisi and drive on to turn in your car and spend the final nights in Venice.

The ideal?
3 nights Florence
7 nights Montepulciano
2 nights Assisi (or Gubbio)
3 nights Venice
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Patrick,

Thanks for your suggestion! I like it a lot. I read a thread on here where an awful lot of people talked about why to end a trip in Venice. This sounds good to me.
-Bill
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Paci

iamq: Whatever you decide, just make sure you drink the wine from the Montepulciano region. It is fantastic!!

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

paci,

Neither me nor my partner drink alcohol! This will probably raise a few eyebrows while we are there, but if I started drinking in Italy I would never come back home...

-Bill
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:57 AM
ira

>Neither me nor my partner drink alcohol! <

Oh well. As the French say, "Quelle fromage".
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Just stayed at La Saracina, and it was magical! We were not driving, but I agree that the location would make sense if you were.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

rsb99,
Which of the rooms did you stay in at La Saracina, the suite or the double?
Is it really within walking distance of Pienza and Montepulciano as is stated on the website?
Thanks for the info!
-Bill
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 03:02 PM

I was curious about the statement that La Saracina was walking distance to Pienza and Montepulciano because I know that is impossible. I checked their website and they said they were walking distance to Pienza and Montichiello, not Montepulciano. This is possible since they are only a few miles apart. Of course Montechiello is no Montepulciano in terms of shopping and dining options but it is a neat little town. Pienza is terrific.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Ooops, yeah I meant to write Montechiello. My mistake.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Montepulciano is wonderful. I agree, the wines in the region are "the best." It is a great place to do day trips from. Definitely need a car in my opinion.