Search

Opinions on Perugia, Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Perugia, Italy

Hello,
I am seeking feedback on Perugia. I am looking for a jumping off point for a trip through Tuscany...I know, Perugia is not in Tuscany, but it is within easy reach of the "hill towns", etc. as a starting point and it is a reasonably cheap train ride from Rome. I read in an internet travel article that Perugia is one of Europe's "gems" that tends to get overlooked. Thoughts and suggestions for budget accomodations would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Perugia is a gem - one of my favorites. However, it's a tough nut to crack becaus the "old" section of town is a little tough to get to unless you "know the ropes". The first time we attempted to visit it, we gave up & headed elsewhere. The second time, we found a parking lot, and from the lot you can take several escalators up into the medieval city. When they excavated for the escalators, they unearthed an old villa, and now the escalators pass througn rooms of the villas, with music playing, etc.

We've returned to Perugia twice since our first visit, and we'll visit again this June for a day-trip.

Stu Dudley

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:32 PM

I like Perugia but not as a base for a trip through Tuscany or even Umbria. We've been there several times and every time got lost either trying to get into town or out. If I were to pick an Umbrian hilltown for a base, it would be Spello. But to explore Tuscan hilltowns, I would try Pienza. From a base near Pienza (La Saracina) we were able to drive to Siena and the hilltowns nearby as well as Perugia, Assisi etc. But you need to enjoy driving.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi Grinisa,
Can you recommendan accomodation in Pienza?
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Sorry, not IN Pienza, because we stayed outside of it at La Saracina. That is a beautiful home converted to to hotel with a pool and great views. It's less than a 10 minute drive to Pienza and about 5 minutes from Montepulciano. There are a couple of small hotels in Pienza I believe but I don't have any experience with them.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 12:58 PM

She did recommend a place in Pienza - La Saracina. It's wonderful, but I suspect that you're on a tight budget. La Saracina is not a budget hotel.

I agree that Perugia is not a good base - we've got lost severel times too. My favorite area in Italy is the Val d'Orcia - centered around Pienza. However, you really need a car to enjoy that area thoroughly. Our closest friends live very near there. We visit them often & I've developed an Italy itinerary that has a heavy dose of Tuscany in it. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

Stu Dudley

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Perugia is a wonderful town, with one of the greatest art museums I know: the National Gallery of Umbria. Also fun shopping, great food and wonderful views.

Perugia has a well located train station, and a trip based in Perugia, using trains to visit some other places, could be done well on a budget.

However, everyone's idea of Tuscany is hill towns, and hill towns are most easily visited by car. As others have said, Perugia is very difficult to navigate if you are driving. Nearly impossible to get easily in and out for motor trips each day.

But, as I said above, really easy to get in and out of by rail.

Perugia > Arezzo 1 hour
Perugia > Assisi 20 to 34 minutes
Perugia > Spello (really nice Umbrian hill town) 20 to 40 minutes
Perugia > Cortona 45 minutes

There are probably lots of others, and I didn't even look at buses, just played about with the trenitalia.it website.

None of these would require that you buy tickets before going to Italy, and Spello, Assisi and Cortona all qualify as hill towns, even if the other two are in Umbria.

But if your heart is set on Tuscany alone, pick another base. But heck, I now want to take the trip I outlined above. ;-)