Planning advice please!

Search

Planning advice please!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning advice please!

I am planning a first time trip to Europe, and have gotten feedback before on this board. It was recommended that we only do 3-4 countries (we'll be there 2 weeks). We are meeting our daughter in Bielefeld, Germany. We could stay a day or two there; then we'd all like to go to Paris for a few days; we were thinking of then heading to Northern Italy for a few days. My husband would also like to take the train through the mountains in Switzerland-we don't have to stay over there, just want to take the trip through. Do you think we could still do a couple days in Austria? We were thinking of ending up in Munich-I'd like to visit Dachau, and fly back home from there. Am I still trying to fit in too much? Another question-we'd love to stay in a non-traditional place in Italy (an apartment or an inn or the like)-any suggestions? I've ordered many of the Rick Steves books; waiting for them all to arrive.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM

Hi there,

I think that is too much. You are talking about travelling quite large distances. How are you getting from Germany to Paris? Paris to Italy? I dont think you have time for Austria too.

I've never done a train trip through Switzerland so cant help there, but I really do think you need to focus more.

Does the 2 weeks include travel - if yes then you have 12 days. You could do something like this...but again, I dont know about your logistics or whether you can train from N. Italy to Munich through Switzerland, maybe someone else can chime in.

Day 1 - Travel to Europe
Day 2 - Arrive in Europe - Bielefeld
Day 3 - Bielefeld
Day 4 - Bielefeld - Paris
Day 5 - Paris
Day 6 - Paris
Day 7 - Paris
Day 8 - Paris - Northern Italy (how are you doing this? By car or train will take most of the day)
Day 9 - N. Italy
Day 10 - N. Italy
Day 11 - N. Italy
Day 12 - N. Italy thru Switzerland to Munich
Day 13 - Dachau
Day 14 - Travel home?
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You got a TON of advice/information on your other thread

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...eed-advice.cfm

(to find your previous posts, click on your screen name)
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
oops hit post too soon.

The reason I mention that is because new folks won't have seen you earlier thread and we'll sort of be re-inventing the wheel. You'll get lots of duplicate advice.

Jamikins has given you one doable itinerary and it would give you enough time for Paris and a little bit of Italy.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
OK with Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, and Austria... you're back up to 5 countries again for only a 2 week trip!!

Same answer I gave to your other post, that's WAY too much to make for a pleasant trip.

I think the itinerary Jamikins has posted is very good.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Haven't we convinced you yet?
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM

You CAN do anything. But you're back to a tour of the rail stations and airports of europe. Way too much time spent in transit and way too little/seeing or doing anything.

Look at a map. Look at travel times. And see how little time you will have left.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM

I don't understand folks who come here pleading for advice and then totally decide to ignore it.

You wanted to do way too much at the outset of your postings here, and now you still want to do way too much. It's as if you haven't heard a thing anyone's told you - and these aren't rookie travelers who've been patiently answering your posts.

It's your trip, so go ahead with it as you see fit. Good luck with that. I'm personally not going to waste any more time with suggestions.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Look at some of the advice given to smrOO or smr00, not sure if they are zeros or cap Os. Anyway, lots of advice also applies to your trip.