Planning a trip to Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the beginning process of planning a trip to Scotland. Because of Macintosh tearooms and other architecture, my wife is thinking of spending 4 days in Glasgow. We also are considering three days in Edinburgh and a week in the highlands. Does that sound reasonable from a general point of view? For those familiar with our previous travel habits:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34875899

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34659808

does it sound like something we would do?

Thanks.

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Hi Michael,
Your itinerary is certainly reasonable in terms of driving times and seeing the places you have stated. I would personally be tempted to have 2 full days in Glasgow to see the tea rooms and have a walk around and 2 full days in Edinburgh then enjoy the rest of my time visiting small towns and villages in the Highlands, taking in the gorgeous scenery. Are you flying into Glasgow or Edinburgh? I will hopefully get round to reading your previous trip reports in the next day or two to get a feel for what yoy enjoy so I can better advise, however, if you do check in at Fodors in the meantime, what are your interests in Scotland? Small/quaint towns? castles? Islands? Food? Hiking/walking? Whiskey?

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Even w/ the Mackintosh connections - I personally would allot a bit more time to Edinburgh than Glasgow.

2 or 3 days would be plenty for Glasgow. Hill House is up in Helensburgh so you could spend 3 days 2 nights in Glasgow then pick up a rental car and drive up Gare Loch to Hill House, over the hill to Loch Lomond and then continue north and west into the Highlands.

A week later, make your way back south to Edinburgh, turn in the car (definitely not needed in the city) and spend the last 3 or 4 days there.

A very doable itinerary.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 05:07 AM

A must see for Mackintosh fans is the Glasgow Art School, which is visited 7 days a week but only on the guided tours. A workng art school, but you will also see the CRM Library, one of his finest interiors. Agree with others - 4 days way too long. Spend it in Edinburgh and hit the Museum fo Scotland, wearing your most comfortable shoes! As to the highlands, get a brochure from Caledonia MacBrayne (the ferries) to inspire you!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I will let my wife finalize the plan as she wants to visit Dumbarton: a sentimental journey as she spent a year there in the 50s when her father was an exchange teacher.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Janisj has a good idea - doing one city at the beginning and the other at the end.

I would think about doing the better part of 3 days in Glasgow, but at the end of the trip when you don't have jet lag to contend with. That way, you can pack all the Mackintosh sites into some solid days of sightseeing. Make sure you visit the Lighthouse Museum, which is in one of Mackintosh's buildings and has permanent exhibits about his work.

I'd start the trip with maybe 3 days in Edinburgh, recovering from jet lag and seeing the sights.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

jetlag will not be a problem as we will have been in London for almost a week before this trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Janis's plan is also a good one from the point of view that you can stop in Dumbarton enroute to Helensburgh. There are lots of good things to see and do about the architecture in the city and it was all very helpfully put together for you at the Lighthouse, when Glasgow was European City of Architecture a few years ago.

In Edinburgh, you MUST see the Parliament. You just must.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:16 AM

As part of your 4 days in Glasgow, you should consider taking a day trip to the Isle of Arran. You take a train from Glasgow Central station to Ardrossan (50 minutes) and it connects with the boat to the island (55 minutes). The island is Scotland in miniature and has some great little villages.The mountaina are superb as well. There is a bus service that meets the boat and returns you to the ferry when you are ready. Well worth it.